Decorating On A Budget

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Zyni • Mar 2, 2016.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It can be a challenge to decorate your home on a budget. It requires some elbow grease and a lot of creativity, but if you're willing to put in the effort, you can save a lot of money doing things yourself.

So, where do you get your inspiration for decorating on a budget (besides Pinterest)? Do you watch home improvement shows? Have you ever taken a weekend workshop at a home improvement store? Do you ever buy magazines or mostly just look around online?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always use Google to find ideas — ways to decorate on a budget — because it usually is easier to find something useful you probably may not find on Pinterest. While Pinterest certainly is a great place to start, if you don't find something you like then I'm sure Google can find you what you seek. You may have to visit lots of sites but the hunt for information is well worth it if at the end of it all you'll find something that will save you money.

3. Tina122321

Tina122321Member

Threads:
    I use pinterest if I have a definite idea of what I want. In order to get decorating ideas I watch shows like fixer upper. I would love to take a class about woodworking. I mainly learn from trial and error. When I get an idea I usually Google it and look at images that other people completed until I find something I like and then I try to find directions so I can duplicate it.

4. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I always use Google and Pintrest if I get an idea in my mind and want to learn how to make a project. I have a lot of interesting tastes and can't always find what I am looking for in the store. Besides that, there is a special sense of pride that comes with making something yourself. I can customize my projects to look the exact way that I want them to look and am normally satisfied with the outcome. Making your own products is also cheaper than buying them at the store.

5. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I watch home improvement shows everyday, read decorating and craft magazines to get inspired. I window shop at several secondhand stores too. I don't have money to spend like the shows I watch but I don't let my budget stop when it comes decorating.

6. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I watch HGTV and read magazines. There was a super cute blue and orange throw in their magazine that was hundreds of dollars. I googled "blue and orange throw" on amazon and found one that was cuter and only $32.

7. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I always watch home improvement shows, and find that I am able to get a lot of inspiration from them, which is great a lot of the time. I also like to ensure that I do everything as cheaply as possible, and it is amazing to see just how much can be done on a budget if you only take the time to plan it out properly - which I always do! I don't like to waste money, but the great news is that there is no need to when you're decorating.

8. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love home improvement shows. I get a lot of inspiration from them, and sometimes they offer really good tips for doing projects. Pinterest is another favorite place for me to find inspiration. There are some super clever ideas on there, and I love the ones that actually have tutorials. There are lots of other great sites as well, and I find that I mostly look online. I rarely buy magazines any more, since I can find almost anything I want online for free.

9. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    My greatest design inspiration came from the library. Jonathan Adler has several design books that are great if you're into the eclectic/modern look. Otherwise, free catalogs from IKEA and similar stores are also helpful.

10. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    So, where do you get your inspiration for decorating on a budget (besides Pinterest)?

I usually find Facebook pages that post such decorating ideas. Then there's a lot of resources online that can give you ideas on how to decorate your home as well.

Do you watch home improvement shows?

I love home improvement shows! I love "Small Space, Big Style" since our house is pretty small. Then a newer one I like is "Fixer Upper."

Have you ever taken a weekend workshop at a home improvement store?

I can't say I've tried this one.

Do you ever buy Magazines or mostly just look around online?

I love looking at magazines whenever I'm at my dentist. But personally, I don't buy them since they just accumulate at our house.

11. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You all make some great points. You can certainly google plenty of ideas, and Pinterest rocks.

I see I'm not the only one who enjoys home improvement shows, including Fixer Upper. :)

I do love being able to customize things to my taste, and yes, there is a sense of accomplishment and a sense of pride in doing so. As for finding less expensive, comparable items to those featured on the shows that is always a great idea too.

I don't buy many magazines these days. I used to get info from the library, but I mostly go online now instead. I never thought of catalogs, but that's another great idea for inspiration. I could look at high end catalogs and then seek more affordable options like Steph said, or do some DIYs.

I never thought of looking on Facebook either, but I bet I could find some good groups on there. You guys are just full of great ideas. Thanks. :)

12. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Pinterest has always come up big for me when I need ideas for decorating, and things around the house are becoming more and more of what I look for there on the site. It all comes down to simplicity for me, but of course that does not just mean white walls everywhere. You can really amaze yourself and what you can find out there with a little effort.

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I watch HGTV and read design blogs to get ideas. I'm also a huge Pinterest addict. A lot of my recent cheap decorating ideas came from a book called The Big Ass Book of Crafts by Mark Montano.

14. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you don't mind second hand the thrift stores has some great bargains and it's fun to shop at thrift stores too. Check your neighborhood for thrift stores and frequent them and see what they got and you may be pleasantly surprised. Check for sales at furniture stores too.

15. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I watch a lot of home decorating shows on tv or at least I used to, and I did see a lot of great ideas of turning old items into new decorations but I personally don't like that style that much. I'd say that most of the time these transformations gave off more of a rustic feel and it's just not something I am attracted to but I do admit that they look good objectively speaking. If I find a style that would still make the effect modern and sleek I'd be for it since that is my preferred theme but so far most of what I have seen is geared towards a rustic style.

16. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This thread reminds me when we had our kitchen expanded and renovated. When the construction work was finished, I had wanted to apply wall paper instead of painting the walls. However, when my husband told me to make computations, I came up with a high figure that made me realize that wall paper is indeed expensive here. So I had to forgo with that idea.

17. DiscountDreams

DiscountDreamsActive Member

Threads:
    I would say the most important parts of decorating on a budget would be being creative and being crafty. The blending of those two skills is what's really important, and most of what people are looking for will always fall somewhere between creative and crafty. I feel like you have those two skills, you won't need much help.