Dehydrated fruits

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Peninha • Jul 16, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've tried dehydrated fruits a couple of times and let me tell you I was not impressed by them. I mean, their flavor is strange, and even if the price is not too high, I doubt that they are healthy.

Have you ever tried dehydrated fruits? How do you feel about them?

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I have never tried dehydrated fruit. I eat fresh and dried fruit. What's the deal with dehydrating them? Is that some kind of fast process to dry them? And why didn't you like them? What was wrong with the taste?

3. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know why companies dehydrate the fruits, just a business like any other I suppose. I think that the whole aim is to create healthy snacks, easy to carry and that lead us to eat more fruits, but the taste is nothing special, like a chip with no taste, so it's a really awkward thing.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Or maybe dehydrated fruits are meant to have a longer shelf-life? I've had a taste veggies which were dried and they were totally tasteless. I presume dehydrated fruits would have a similar taste. I've never tried them though because I don't like fruits in the first place and they're not available in my area.

5. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That can be true as well, it longs laster on the shelves, but I imagine that the cost of dehydrating and packaging is a pricey one, so I really believe they tried to introduce fruits in the diet of people that usually don't consume them in a easier to carry and tastier way, but they failed in this last part, the fruits are not tastier on the contrary.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I like dried mangoes and I'd recommend it to anyone. It tastes great because the wetness is much more concentrated and also it's a lot less messy than eating a regular mango. I also liked the dehydrated fruit I got to taste in one cereal brand I once ate, but unfortunately, I've forgotten the brand since it's been such a long time and I've only ever gotten to taste it that one time.

7. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I love apple chips. I love them like a fat kid loves cake. They're quite delicious. Although, I'm not sure they're entirely dehydrated. I've had dehydrated apples and they have a consistency closer to rubber. Which is not delicious.

8. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Dried mangoes is something entirely different, as well as dried fruits, I love them, especially the mangoes. A totally different things are dehydrated fruits, meaning all the water is removed from them and they look like potatoes chips, just without the salt.