Dental Insurance

Discussion in Life & Health Insurance started by Sunflogun • Sep 3, 2015.

1. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    Dental insurance is something very important for me. I have very bad teeth and I need to go often to the dentist, minimum 2-3 times per yer. So for me this insurance more than an expense it's an investment. What's you case, you have this covered too?

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I now have dental insurance for the first time and am trying to take advantage of it.

I still feel like that because my teeth are in pretty good shape, I would spend less currently to just pay for it out of pocket.

In the event that something bad happens that would be a huge expense, though, I'm glad that I have dental insurance that would pay it if I need it to.

3. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    I don't, and I'm not really worried about it, either. My teeth aren't perfect, but aside from some wisdom teeth that haven't impacted the rest of my mouth at all I've had zero issues with my choppers since day one. They're nice and strong, and I brush religiously three times a day. My standards are probably a little too high, since I get on my wife's case to do the same more often than is probably warranted.

My wife, that said, does have insurance, and needs it. Her and her brother inherited many tooth problems from the rest of their family. Good times...

4. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    Lucky you SLTE, lucky you! I have always had bad teeth regardless of my personal hygiene, my doctor told me is something stress related, so apparently stress ruins our teeth too. What can I do really?

5. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I have dental insurance and consider it an investment as well. I don't mind the expense but as with any insurance it's for the unforeseen incidents that can occur. Otherwise, best to be safe than sorry - and hit with major dental expenses.

6. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    For me it's just a matter of doing the maths, with what I am paying for dental I am saving when I go to the dentist, so it becomes a lot cheaper than if I didn't had any insurance and paid the regular rate.

7. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have dental insurance but it's only one of the services offered by our company-provided medicare. The coverage is also limited. For instance, we have unlimited tooth extraction and free cleaning once a year. However, filling is only temporary. If you want permanent filling or a root canal, you have to pay and heaven knows how expensive a single tooth costs. Getting a dental insurance here in the developing world is more of a luxury than a privilege.

8. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have it - as although I would agree that having dental insurance is a very wise move for those with a long history of dental problems - particularly as the cost of the yearly premium is generally significantly cheaper than paying out right for a large amount of dental work.

Its quite the opposite for me - in fact so much so - that with my dental history of rarely ever needing any dental work - other than the usual 6 monthly check up and cleaning - its actually more cost effective for me to pay out right in cash - particularly as the annual premium of even the most basic policy - is way, way more than I'm already paying.

9. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I think if you need some serious dental work, dental insurance is worth getting. I mean dental problems can be very costly to treat, so getting it prior to having some of these things treated is probably a good thing to do. I think most who have it get their money's worth as it is fairly low cost.

10. CherylTorrie

CherylTorrieMember

Threads:
    The most important thing about dental insurance purchases is premiums versus benefit. Quite a few policies limit the annual benefit and install waiting periods so tightly that you may actually be better off setting the premium money aside each month until you can afford to pay cash. Most dentists also offer payment plans for major services. Be sure to read any policy offering carefully.

11. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Basic dental treatment is available on the National Health Service here so relatively few people seem to have dental insurance in the UK. It's well worth having though as NHS treatment is still chargeable and being able to go private often results in quicker treatment.

12. goldenmaine

goldenmaineActive Member

Threads:
    It is an investment as long as you find a reputable insurance company that is not money oriented and has good reviews. Read their policies and guidelines as to what dental services are covered, what clinics are enrolled with them, and how is the payment system like. Health is something we must prioritize and it is a great investment to have insurance since we do not know what may happen to us in the future. Just make sure you find a company that is not abusive of its members and follows strict regulations in giving proper benefits to its paying members.

13. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This sounds like smart thinking and solid advice to me. Also, consider the deductible if applicable. If the deductible is barely reached within a year's time, you're still basically paying for everything anyway, with an added insurance premium on top. I've found this to be an issue with other types of insurance, so I'm guessing it applies here as well (I don't have dental insurance, obviously).

Also, if you're really in a pinch, there are some free or sliding scale dental services available. Check free clinics in your area.

14. PennyPincher

PennyPincherMember

Threads:
    I have no dental insurance at all. I would definitely like to have some because I do need to have dental work done. It just seems like every where I have checked dental insurance is much more expensive than I can afford.

15. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    I also have a very fragile teeth health. Maybe because I'm still not got rid of my wisdom teeth yet, and I get gum swelling quite often. A dental insurance is good for cases like mine, I need a decent coverage to take care properly of my dental health. Otherwise I couldn't afford it so often. The issues is to choose wisely a dental insurance that suits you needs.

16. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    I hate dental insurance. Not because I think it is bad or pointless or anything, but I just hate it. I hate paying for it and thinking about it. Of course, with that said, the .01% of the time that I do appreciate it, it is when I really need it and it ends up saving me, so it is a good thing to have. I just am one of those people who has trouble paying for something that is hypothetical, even though I clearly understand the reasoning behind it and its value.

17. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Here in Hawaii on Oahu, we have Aloha Medical Mission Dental Clinic that has free dental services though limited to fixing cavities and doing extractions and teeth cleaning. I found that our Medicaid has no real dental services for adults, so I got in touch with my Legislature elected and requested new laws to have adult Medicaid services too. Currently it has passed both House & Senate with other b ills requesting these dental services for adult Medicaid be forever for Hawaii. Most Legislature elect is at twitter and facebook, you could get in touch & request it for your State too and get it to be law forever! Be part of Patient Action at facebook too your more successful in numbers.
    While I was searching for free or economical dental ins. I came across

-one catch though they aren't in every State yet. I've introduced them to our Legislature and our State's HDS. Sometimes it's good to search for free dental services and checking about them in reviews before you go to them. Good luck in finding decent dental services with good dentists!

18. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am fortunate to be employed in a company that provides free health card for a benefit. That card covers hospitalization and checkups but only covers medicines upon confinement (medicines of out-patient are not covered). But what's good is it also covers dental and optical. Since I'm using contact lenses, I get an opportunity to buy new contacts every year. For dental care, there is a limit but it covers almost everything.

19. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    My teeth currently are in poor shape and replacing them would no doubt cost a leg. There is a health insurance policy in my country but I am not sure that it covers the dental side of things. I suppose that the best alternative it to take advantage of dental health weeks by companies or approach dental schools for dental treatment which would be almost free or highly subsidized.

20. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    In my home country, there is no insurance products that insures various body parts. We cannot insure our teeth, eyes o any other body parts. However, we have life insurance.I have a life insurance policy that will mature in 20 years. I have other insurance products as as bike insurance, crop insurance, cattle insurance (because I live in a farm, I farm crops and raise cattle).