Depressing Movies

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by TPhoenix • Dec 23, 2014.

1. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    Some movies are crafted with the very intention to affect us emotionally and to put us in the perspective and shoes of people or characters who have been through unspeakable adversity. Films like Schindler's List and Boy in the Striped Pajamas come to mind almost instantly for me. Have you ever watched depressing movies that left you teary eyed and down for weeks and months?

2. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, many of the teen and kid movies my nieces and nephews watch have caused me many terrorizing nightmares, very depressing times after watching such movies.

Oh I see, you meant movies that stirred my emotions, now I understand :p The latest movie that I watched that stirred my emotion was Men in Black 3, when Agent Jay's father died and Agent Kay had to make up a story his father had to leave for awhile even though he had died not too far away. Barefoot Gen, a japanese animation, also made me emotional but more in awe, because the movie depicted about a little Japanese boy who tried so hard to help his family after surviving a Atom Bomb attack, but he eventually succumbs to radiation effects too. Boromir's death in LOTR was moving to me too, because it left me wishing to know what happens to the Fellowship for months, until the Two Towers movie was leased to theaters.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never cry but at times some movies can make feel kind of sad. But not for long though. The following movies are the ones which successfully managed to make me feel something:

A Street Car Named Desire.
    Chinatown.
    The Road.
    The Plague dogs [probably the most depressing movie ever made].

4. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A lot of films have caused me heartache because they're simply that effective in relaying the message. Movies like The Road to Perdition, Grave of the Fireflies (animated), Gone with the Wind, Land Before Time (animated), Spirited Away (animated), Forrest Gump, Pearl Harbor, Ever After, How to Train Your Dragon 1 and 2 (animated) and The Lion King (animated) are just a handful of the most poignant movies I've had the privilege of watching while growing up. A slew of Asian films have also left me depressed for days. I prefer movies with a touch of innocence in them. They're effective tear-jerkers.

5. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    I think movies like 'Hotel Rwanda' broke me as I watched them; I also cried a lot at the end of Becoming Jane. I usually cry a lot at humans' meanness and sacrifices. The movie 'Sunshine' also got me good, for example. It does not last weeks, but I carry them with me after watching them and feeling sad at them. Many more impacted me, but these are the easiest titles I could remember.

6. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    For coloured girls, Precious, Tina Turner Story, Set it off, The pursuit of happiness, The blind side, Carlittos Way. Just to mention a few, even the beginning of up made me cry. Not for weeks and months though. When I was younger short circuit always made me cry when he stopped working lol and speaking of robots. Robot and Frank made me cry as well.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's been a while since I have watched movies in general, but I remember watching the dark movie "Monster" which was based on a true story. It's not a tearjerker movie per se, but it makes you stop to ponder and notice the dreary theme all-througout, and you would feel compassion because it's based on a true story.