Dessert, Please! Hold the Milk!

Discussion in Food & Drink started by MakeshiftMiloh • Oct 30, 2013.

1. MakeshiftMiloh

MakeshiftMilohMember

Threads:
    Hello, everyone! Please excuse me for being new, but after lurking on this site for a little while, I was hoping to get a some advice from you lovely, helpful people about finding dairy-free treats!

See, I have a milk allergy that only really started to gradually develop very recently (I'm told that this almost never happens!), and I've got to say, the most difficult adjustment so far has been finding desserts and sweets that do not contain or require dairy. It only adds insult to injury to discover that many items that are dairy-free seem to cost so much more than their milky alternatives!

Do any of you fine people have a favorite dairy-free yummy or two that you could suggest to me, or where I might find them? Online suggestions are fine too!

Thank you so much!

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    How is your diet overall? I know many people who's allergies cleared up after ditching the processed foods and started clean eating as a way of life. My son included. We are what we eat and our bodies aren't built to ingest most of what we put in it.. so it makes sense that food is the cause of many issues.

My favourite quick dessert is a frozen banana in a blender (it's just like ice cream) and then whatever you want to mix in with it. Berries, cacao/cocoa.. if you eat processed foods, that opens even more options for you to mix in. Also, you can make ice cream with coconut milk/cream as well. The world of smoothies is a huge one too... so many things you can throw in the blender and it's sooooo yummy.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    First, welcome to DontPayFull forums. :) Second, sorry to hear about your condition. I suggest trying out Almond milk, I usually get unsweetened ones and just put in syrup or honey myself so I can control the sugar content, but I think it's a little more expensive than milk. Also, look into soy products like soy pudding, soy is silky and light and tastes like diet milk (in a good way), and you could get it in many sweet flavors. I'm guessing this would be found in your local Chinatown.

zensoy_package1.

I personally love it plain with caramelized simple syrup and gelatin pearls. Try finding this (look for Taho) at a Filipino specialty store near you, you'll probably end up getting a packaged one, which isn't as good as freshly made, but it's still pretty good.

taho.

Good luck!

4. dreamseer

dreamseerMember

Threads:
    What about rice crispy treats? There are even healthier ways to make them, too. My mom used to make some that were made with corn syrup and peanut butter, instead of marshmallows. I don't have the recipe, but I'm sure you could find something online.

5. MakeshiftMiloh

MakeshiftMilohMember

Threads:
    You guys are just fantastic! Thank you so much for your wonderful suggestions.

I do have a relatively healthy diet, I would say. I don't eat too many processed foods, and have cut things like soda and candy out of my regular diet almost entirely. It's difficult, and sometimes rather expensive, to go with whole foods instead of the nice, convenient packaged meal, but I really do try my best to treat my body as good as I can.

I really like the ideas of frozen fruit treats, but I've discovered lately that I have some issues digesting a lot of fruit all at the same time. But in moderation, blended banana's sound wonderful.

Soy is something I also have real digestive problems with, but I have had some luck with rice milk. The only problem is that it lacks flavor! :p I'll give Almond Milk a try! I see it all the time in the store, but I think I was just too chicken to give it a fair shot.

Again, thank you all so much. This has really sparked some ideas in me!

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Glad to be of help and good luck! Don't forget to look up some nice Almond milk dessert recipes if you end up liking it, I'm sure there are lots of fans of it uploading recipes online.

7. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Pinterest! I constantly use it to find new ideas since I'm very specific about what I eat. It's been very helpful..

8. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

That's a hard one could you sub like almond milk or something?

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    How about gelatin? I used to love them as a kid, but now as an adult I've outgrown eating it.

10. MakeshiftMiloh

MakeshiftMilohMember

Threads:
    My household has grown very fond of gelatin lately as a quick, milk-free snack. I don't personally get a whole lot of enjoyment out of it myself, but my spouse sure has taken to it like a duck to water! :eek: