Diet Candy?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by Sealpikachu • Apr 26, 2016.

1. Sealpikachu

SealpikachuMember

Threads:
    Hello everybody! I am currently going to a nutriologist to finally achieve the weight loss I've wanted for years in a healthy way. However, I absolutely adore candy. I have been doing my diet for around three months now and, every time I slip, it is because I crave chocolate or candy and give in to that. Do any of you guys know of any healthy snacks, chocloates, candy , etc. that a student on a budget would be able to adfford? Thank you im advance!

2. rubymusic1

rubymusic1New Member

Threads:
    Have you ever tried liquorice root? It's an acquired taste, but it tastes like it's full of sugar when it's not. Don't get this confused with normal liquorice though, that isn't a healthy alternative.

Liquorice root can be bought on Amazon and doesn't need to be prepared before chewing on it. Alternatively, you can make liquorice root into tea.

Word of warning though, check with your doctor before eating because too much can be harmful and it's not recommended that you eat it for more than two weeks at a time.

3. Sealpikachu

SealpikachuMember

Threads:
    I have never tried licorice at all! Is there any way you could describe the taste to me somehow? I would definitely be up for trying anything though, I just want something sweet to calm my nerves sometimes. I will look it up on Amazon, thank you!

4. rubymusic1

rubymusic1New Member

Threads:
    Yep, it's been proven to work on anxiety, so to calm your nerves it should work too! It's got to be liquorice root though and not liquorice. I'm not sure how to describe the taste other than very, very sweet.

5. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some candies come in a sugar free variety, but you should be careful consuming them because too many of them can have a laxative effect. I thing you just need to find something that appeals to you in the diet or sugar free candy venues. I am sure your nutrtiionist can also recommend some candies that would fit the bill. That is there job after all. I like the Liquorice root idea because that would help save money as well.

6. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    There are tons of recipes online (Pinterest especially) about making your own "healthy" candy and snacks. Many are geared towards mothers of small children, looking to feed their minions something sweet but still healthy.

Some of my favorite healthy snack foods include dipping something crunchy and salty into hummus. It satisfies all the cravings (texture, salt, and still filling). Of course trading out the cracker for a vegetable as the dipper is even better.

I've also seen recipes for making your own healthy fruit snacks. One in particular uses the

, which I thought was an awesome way to use up something that I currently have an abundance of!

7. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    I've seen a recipe video for coconut chocolate on YouTube. It's basically three ingredients namely 100% cocoa powder, coconut oil flakes and your choice of sweetener like honey or agave. The lady in the video also added some nuts and goji berries in it. They used a silicon mold to easily remove the chocolate too. This is a healthier alternative to your usual commercial chocolates and in the video, it looks easy to make as well since you're just going to mix those. I've been wanting to make it myself since I'm also prone to craving sweets when dieting.

I've also seen a list on Pinterest this afternoon when I was searching for no gym workouts I could do. There's a photo there listing the foods that you're craving, why you're craving them and the healthier alternatives to satisfy those cravings. You should check it out. :)

8. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well you can cook your own sweet snacks, but it can still b healthy. A lot of people do not know about organic blackstrapp molasses, which is essentially sugar before they refine it and take all of the good nourishing stuff out of it. It is full of iron, and magnesium, amongst a whole host of other things that our bodies need, and it satisfies a sweet tooth too.

9. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    These sound cool. I will definitely look up that list. I've seen something similar before, but I forgot to bookmark it. When you crave something, it's usually because your body needs something. Like, if you crave ice cream, it may be that you need more calcium, which you could probably satisfy with milk or yogurt or something instead of having ice cream.

I will look up these recipes too. I figured coconut might be a good idea, and since I like it, that could work.

Also, thanks @DreekLass@DreekLass for that tip. I'll be checking out that info as well.

10. Taraa

TaraaActive Member

Threads:
    sorry no idea but i am interested to know as my mother gained so much weight and after a hard work she could loss few pounds weight but she love candy bars and also wanna help her me too, so any useful suggestions must share with me.

11. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You are more than welcome. I have never actually spoken to anyone who has cooked with blackstrapp molasses and has put weight on as a result. It is strange, since it is sugar before they take all of the goodness out of it. But it is actually quite a magnificence product. You can get it in bulk from amazon.

12. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not big on sugar free versions of anything, since they are usually crammed full of calories and are said to be even more harmful in most cases. I think DreekLass may be onto something with the suggestion of making your own. I guess the other option could be treats geared towards diabetics; they are healthy and contain much less sugar. The only snag? They tend to be a little pricy :( Other than that, I don't have any idea what you could try. Hope you get many more suggestions :)

13. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I found sugar free candies by Russel Stover that Walgreens has that's the cheapest. CVS and Walmart has the same thing and charge .50 more for the same thing. Werther's has sugar free candies too. I believe that they don't have aspartame as an ingredient. 0007279939938_500X500.
    image is from walmart.
    th?id=OIP.M13e79f1c7a2f7f1f0ea6463c5ebc7eado0&pid=15.1. image is from cvs.com.
    When you buy sugar free be careful of the ingredient aspartame for it's

14. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well it is always good when you can find that, but it does seem a little bit like an oxymoron...you know, the jumbo shrimp thing. I have always had that as one of my million dollar ideas, but I am sure that so has everyone else on the planet so I am glad that someone is out there at least trying to master it. I am still a little skeptical though.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't tried eating diet candy yet, but here is a link that can help you out in picking what to try:

16. Shoplady

ShopladyMember

Threads:
    I really can't stand sugar free candy. It always seems to have a funny aftertaste to me and sometimes it upsets my stomach. But I did lose 50lbs and I was able to fit in desserts! First of all, don't let a slip up ruin your entire plan. I think there is room in every diet for some occasional treats. One that is really great when losing weight is just to melt some chocolate chips and dip fresh fruit in them - it's a mini chocolate fondue and you are getting some healthy fruits in there in a way that's pretty easy to portion control.

17. Sealpikachu

SealpikachuMember

Threads:
    Thanks to everyone for the amazing ideas! I had definitely never thought of looking up recipes on pinterest before so I'll do that as well. I have tried the Russell candy but here in Mexico they are very overpriced so maybe I will try to look for something similar. Also,so far I have been doing really good! All your suggestions are awesome and I will be sure to look it all up.

18. HealthAndVitality

HealthAndVitalityMember

Threads:
    As a health professional , In my view, you need to go cold turkey, there are no quick fixes when it comes to losing weight, you either give up the candy or not. And according to psychology, a habit that you developed, you can break in the same that you got into it. You love candy, you need to stay away from candy, it's all in the mind, if you think about candy, you are going to desire it and pretty soon it will be in your mouth. I came from a size 16 to a size 8 in a matter of 4 - 5 months, I had to give up sugary foods among other things , it was sheer determination and it was not easy, there's nothing you cannot do if you put your mind to it.

19. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08Active Member

Threads:
    I am a diabetic and occasionally eat sugar free candy from the local dollar store. My only warning is that, sometimes, sugar free candy can make one more "musical" if you get my drift. If the candy is made with Splenda, this should not be an issue. (And if you have a roommate, he/she will thank you.)

20. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    For healthy snacks I suggest fruits, oatmeal and orange flavored cookies. As long as they don't contain refined sugar. And is overall better if you make them yourself or from a homemade seller. Brands put a lot of weird name chemicals into their products so you can't tell whether or not is suitable for you to eat.