Diet Restrictions And Eating Out

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Tina122321 • Mar 6, 2016.

1. Tina122321

Tina122321Member

Threads:
    If you have diet restrictions what do you do when you eat out? Do you check the website first? Do you just hope you can find something that you can have? Do you bring a snack in your purse just in case? What diet restrictions do you have?

I don't eat wheat, dairy or eggs and very little sugar.I find that the more expensive the restaurant the more likely that they have something I can have. Steak houses are usaully a safe bet as I can have a salad, meat and veggies.

2. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I have to go easy on carbs and sometimes sodium. The latter is not easy in most restaurants. My issue is similar to yours in relation to dining at more upscale places that don't use MSG. Chains like olive garden and red lobster are my grandma's favorite and their menu is so...unfresh.

3. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I had a high cholesterol level, the doctor gave me a list of foods that I should not eat. If we eat out with the family, it's not much of a problem because they would understand. The real problem is when I would be invited for a lunch meeting by another department in our office. It's quite unethical to select the food because they are the host and I am treated as a guest. But fortunately, all our lunch meetings are held in classy restaurants where there is a salad bar. I can thrive on vegies.

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't eat animal products and very rarely processed foods, so if I were to apply that to when I eat at restaurants (which is rare as it is), I would starve. There are plenty of vegan restaurants popping up everywhere now that it's slowly but surely becoming mainstream, so I have a lot more options if I ever feel the need to eat out. I don't worry about restrictions when I eat out because I don't do it every day.. the only thing I won't budge on is the animal products and I don't see that as a restriction anyway lol.

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I adopt two methods when it comes to eating out. First, I search the net for the latest, coolest hotspots in town. I then take my pick and allot a budget for it. I may invite family and friends or dine there alone, depending on my mood. The second method would be to just roam around places I normally don't visit and if I chance upon an interesting restaurant or spot my favorite fast foods, I'd do some random on-the-spur-of-the-moment selection. No diet restrictions for me. When I eat out, I only have one goal in mind: to be as full and satisfied as possible. I diet on weekdays.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been a vegetarian for over 20 years and am used to restrictions. Besides checking online I will always read the menu outside before going in. If I am traveling a long distance I ring to make sure, especially if it is an occasion. Most places now do cater for dietary needs, but the choice will be limited. Buffets always are a good option, as there is nearly always something to eat.

7. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    My son is allergic to tree nuts and when we go out we read menus carefully. We also inform our server of his allergy. Most restaurants are very good about letting us know which meals are safe for him to eat. We've even once had the chef come out and let us know they'll use separate pans to cook his meal so that there would be no chance of cross contamination. If we think there is a chance that there are tree nuts in the food we won't let him even try it. We stick with tried and true meals for him.

8. venusflytrap

venusflytrapMember

Threads:
    I have been a vegan and vegetarian over the last 20 years. I don't eat eggs, gluten, sugar, and many other foods. I've never really had any problems in the restaurants and eateries that I have frequented in my many travels. I just ask a lot of questions beforehand, to makes sure that I won't be having any adverse reactions by accidentally ingesting foods that I can't tolerate very well. In most cases the restaurants have no problem at all serving the meals exactly the way you want them.

9. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have high ldl cholesterol and I do watch what I eat. There are so many things you can't eat. Just one visit to McDonalds shot up my ldl cholesterol to double of my previous numbers! It's best I figure to check out the restaurants menu's online or some have their menus by the door, so to check if you are interested in eating what they serve before you enter and find out you really can't eat what they serve. Most any place has a salad thing these day's just that pricey restaurants cost more than others, but have a better vegetable selection for their salads. I feel it's not nice to bring your own to food places because you are there to eat what they serve and some won't let you bring any outside food too. I do cheat though and eat from time to time foods that I shouldn't:D. Sometimes a search of what your town has to offer for your particular menu needs is fun and you could discover something new that you didn't know of...good luck and healthy eating!

10. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Considering that most restaurants these days have a web site with their menu, and most people have easy access to them via their smartphones - it would make sense to simply check out their menu before you go to a given restaurant. Also, once you arrive at the restaurant, and decide on something to order which seems to fit within your dietary restrictions, you should also inquire with the server if the dish contains any of the ingredients you're trying to avoid. The menu description may not be detailed enough to indicate the ingredients you are trying to avoid. For example, you mentioned you don't consume dairy. I used to work at TGI Fridays, and their grilled chicken is marinated with lemon juice, white wine and butter. While a grilled chicken salad might seem like a safe bet, if you were severely allergic to dairy, that could be a problem since the chicken is coated with a butter based marinade.