Digital copy vs CDs and DVDs

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by lindbergh • Oct 17, 2013.

1. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a huge collection of movies that are in CD and DVD. I store them in a rack for easy access. I love collecting stuff. But ever since storage space increased, I found myself purchasing CDs and DVDs less and less. I just simply opt to purchase a digital copy of a movie and store it in my hard drive or external storage. What about you?

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I prefer digital copies as well, although, I've never really been much of a collector to begin with anyway. And even if I were a collector, I probably wouldn't really gravitate towards this type of collection since the technology for it regularly changes so dramatically and so frequently. For example, if I had 500 DVDs in my library right now, I'd probably be kicking myself since Bluray is much better in quality and works much better with modern TVs.

3. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    I also use digital copies, no more hassle with storage, besides disk space, but that's much easier to solve than buying another shelf :)

4. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really buy movies - since I barely watch them - but for music, I prefer digital. The CD has no added value to me, as I don't have a hifi setup I would play it on, so, I end up ripping it and then putting it away anyway.

5. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    It really depends if you want to build a physical collection. I know that is not for everyone, but some just like to see their entire collection on a shelf. Of course that with digital you can take it anywhere with ease, but you can't actually touch it.

6. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I used to collect movie DVDs and music CDs. I prefer having the physical copies of CDs and DVDs because I actually own them. In contrast, the digital copies of CDs and DVDs is sure convenient because people can buy them online instantly. However, you don't actually own the digital versions, which there's no actually disk to keep for movie and music collections.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer physical DVDs and CDs because while you mostly have to pay for a new movie each time you want one—

If you have DVDs [or buy them] and you have lot's of friends who like movies you can swap DVDs with them. . .

That means if you have 30 friends who've each bought a new DVD, you'll go through the thirty first before you ever think of buying another DVD. Saves me a lot of money.

8. minotechonline

minotechonlineNew Member

Threads:
    I like to collect blu-ray movies. I figure it is future proofed as a format for at least a few years.

My collection is growing larger but still isn't anything to boast about I guess. I also like how some blu-ray movies come with a digital copy so I can experience the best of both worlds.

Also, my computer doesn't have a blu-ray drive but who wants to watch on a small screen when there's bigger options.

9. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer physical copies for movies and my favorite TV shows. I also prefer physical copies for music, but I'm not completely against digital copies. I really enjoy reading the CD jacket.