Diners or picnic-style meals when traveling?

Discussion in Travel started by Jennifer • May 25, 2012.

1. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    When going on a long road trip do you prefer to stop at diners for your meals or pack a picnic-style meal to enjoy along the roadside? I have happy memories, when as a child travelling with my parents, we used to stop at one of the picnic sites along the road and have our breakfast or lunch. Nowadays few people do so as its no longer considered safe in my country, as a result we have our meals at the diners along our route. If you have a choice what would you prefer to do?

2. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I definitely prefer picnics - it makes the road trip seem more like a treat. On top of that, it saves money as well. It's not so bad when you're on country roads, where you might find a small place that does fantastic meals at great prices, but service stations on motorways always seem to charge a fortune for indifferent food. It's picnics every time for us.

3. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I would prefer a picnic, too. Lots of memories associated with picnics so it's kind of sad that it is not safe to have them in your country anymore. Diners can be good and we have found some really good ones by asking local folks about where the good places to eat in their towns are.

4. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    I prefer a restaurant, just because that brings back great memories for me. When I was a child, when my family would go on vacation, we'd always stop for breakfast or lunch on the road.

Picnics are good, too, but I prefer to do those in other circumstances. That's more of a casual, every day thing to me. Eating out was a treat for special occasions.

I also find that I usually get better food at a restaurant and soggy sandwiches on picnics. Ha!

5. AlwaysAMama

AlwaysAMamaActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer picnics. it reminds me of going on trips to Idahp and Washington with my grandparents. We always stopped at fun places to picnic.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We just took a trip to Charlotte, NC a 6 hr drive. Along the way we stopped at a rest point and enjoyed our lunch that we had packed. The kids enjoyed it and I liked the time to myself.

7. Waynefire

WaynefireActive Member

Threads:
    When I am going on a long trip it usually ends up being an eat in the vehicle. I do not like to stop for a long time to eat and usually pack foods. Then I do not have to be concerned about missing out on any of the traffic which I had already left behind!~

8. kingusama92

kingusama92Active Member

Threads:
    Depends on what you have packed to eat!

I would have to say I prefer picnics. I like the idea of stopping and simply unpacking and eating. There is also this idea of saving some money that could be spent elsewhere on the road trip.

Diners can add up over time in terms of expenses.

9. Mystique

MystiqueActive Member

Threads:
    Picnic style, definitely! It would be great during summer, especially if there is a dam or waterfall along the route. When my partner and I had a bike, we used to go for a short trip along the coast. We bought some sandwiches and drinks, threw them in the backpack and off we went to discover some nice spots. It was a lot of fun that we decided to stay overnight at one of the locations. I would definitely do it again when we are more settled!

10. bryce12

bryce12Active Member

Threads:
    I would prefer picnics as well. It is a lot more fun than eating in crampy restaurants and the family members and friends get to spend quality time with one another. I have some very good memories of my childhood when we used to travel a lot and eat at roadside spots.

11. tulosai

tulosaiActive Member

Threads:
    A picnic is actually a great idea! I love this thread because that never would have occurred to me. We always end up stopping at a McDonalds or similar along the way- this sounds much healthier and affordable too. Thanks :)

12. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I choose picnic style meals. Many of my best memories stem from this style of traveling. Packing in munchies, stopping in a good spot and refueling while connecting and sharing time with your travel partners. It is unbeatable. Diners are OK too, but in my humble opinion...yummy picnics shared with loved ones is just such a divine life experience.

13. Kaycee J

Kaycee JActive Member

Threads:
    We like to do picnics most of the time, and then when we get where we're going pick a restaurant and enjoy a meal out once or twice. Saving money by packing the picnic (and also by preparing our own meals part of the time if it is a lengthy trip) makes the restaurant meals more enjoyable to us.

14. saizo6

saizo6Active Member

Threads:
    I would have to say picnic style too. I've got many great memories of my family stopping by rest areas on other stops along the way during our travels to eat the delicious food prepared by my mom. It was quite a fun outing because we'd eat and run around while the parents relaxed a bit.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When we get hungry while travelling we just order through a drive thru station like McDonalds and we just eat in the car. We never tried to have a picnic ever, because it's so nature oriented, and we're not that kind of family. ;)

16. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Me and my family have always done picnics for lunch during road trips. Making a few sandwiches is cheaper than stopping on a dinner. And you also get to eat outdoors, which is way nicer.

17. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer restaurants when traveling. I like picnics when I'm closer to home. It's the only time I really enjoy eating out.

18. melovesengland

melovesenglandMember

Threads:
    We always bring sandwiches with us, crisps and drinks as well. If we will get home late then we sometimes stop by in Mcdonalds for a burger or wrap or something or buy some takeaways and eat it at home.

19. mrsgeedee

mrsgeedeeActive Member

Threads:
    Hubby and I prefer to eat at restaurants. Unless we really need to get to the place right away, we'd buy some pack lunch or snacks. But most of the time, we just stop and eat at a restaurant.

20. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We alternate between picnics and restaurants. If the weather is nice and it's not too dark outside, we eat a packed lunch. If it's late and getting dark, or the weather is brutally hot outside, we'll stop at a restaurant. I like to save money, but I'm not willing to go as far as sitting outside in hot weather, trying to keep the flies away from my lunch.