Directly from the producer

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Gelsemium • May 27, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This weekend I was at my in-laws and my kids love to be with the rabbits and chickens. They don't have any problems in eating though, they know that they are there to be eaten. Does anyone kills their animals to eat or do you buy your at the supermarket or similar?

2. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I've never really raised any animals for eating as I don't have the kind of living environment suited for that, but I'm not sure I could even if I did.
    I think that if I went to feed an animal every day, I might create an attachment and have trouble killing and eating it.
    Of course this is just a hypothetical, it's just an experience that I don't have, I figure I'd trade my animal with another farmer's animal and eat each other's :)

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have no problem with slaughtering an animal for my food. When I was a kid I used to the thought of having to take the life of an animal terrified me. When my little brother [he was about 4 then] witnessed a goat being slaughtered he lost interest in eating meat forever. I suppose anyone who's actually not done something like that before would be unwilling to eat that meat.

Most of my food, I get straight from my farm so for me, I never buy meat from a supermarket.

4. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I would not, could not raise animals then kill them. I have easy attachment issues so a no go. I will stick to buying from a butcher or supermarket.

5. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Living in a flat I can't do it either, but I think it's just a natural part of life so I think it's good that kids see this reality. Also, having our own animals is way healthier and tastier than buying something at the supermarket and more often than not is cheaper too. Sure, more work because you have to feed the animals, but it's cheaper and healthier.

6. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    We used to grow pigs when I was little. Seeing them 'put to sleep' was odd at first but after a few years I got used to it and started helping out - from making the fire to cutting the meat, I did it all. The one thing I didn't do is off the animal myself. All in all, I'm proud of the skills I acquired.

And I agree with you Gelsemium, not only it is cheaper to grow the animals ourselves but also healthier. And let's not forget, the living conditions for animals are way better on a family farm than in those mass production farms where they have little or no space to move.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We used to have chickens as pets, and we sometimes kill them when they aren't producing eggs anymore or when they harass other chickens, or they simply becomes pests in the house. My dad can't bear killing them so he asks other people to do it. Then when it's done they can have it and we are just given some of the meat. In my experience, old chickens don't taste that good, their meat isn't as soft as compared to chickens that are being sold in the supermarkets. But killing chickens is not something we regularly do, we usually just buy food and meat at the supermarket.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't think I can stomach it, or at least I don't think I'd enjoy the food as much if I knew I was just playing with the animal a while ago. Then again, it may be just because I've recently been growing to feel more and more compelled to turn vegetarian, so I already am having some confusion with my sentiments towards eating meat anyway. I surely can get over it after I've grown used to it, if I really had to, but I think the practice would only tip my scales over to the vegetarian side more likely than it is to get me used to eating animals direct from the backyard.

9. Gelsemium

Threads:
    So true, the animals are way better living with us than in industrial facilities where they are fed by force to grow fast and how many times deprived from solar light.

Funny you mentioned pigs though, I recall being a kid and throwing food and they and they are real vacuum cleaners, they pass over the food and it disappears! :D

10. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I've heard that it is not uncommon for farmers to be vegetarian since they grow attached to the animals they are raising. Makes sense, and I probably would be vegetarian as well if I were surrounded by all those animals.

I wouldn't have a problem buying fresh chickens from local farmers though, since they were probably raised in a much more humane way, and similarly slaughtered in a humane way. The factories that mass produce chickens do all sorts of hideous things to them throughout the course of their short lives, from injecting them with growth hormones, to clipping their beaks off, to forcing them to live in tiny confined bins. They also soak the meat in a chlorine solution, as opposed to the proper method of letting the slaughtered chickens hang to dry out. It's pretty gross what the factories put out.

11. ami560

ami560Member

Threads:
    I've raised farm animals before and eaten them, but I've never personally killed them. I did get some satisfaction, though, in knowing that the animal was raised right, that it wasn't in some tiny cage or pen then mercilessly slaughtered. I liked knowing that it wasn't needlessly pumped with antibiotics, only to get sick and pumped with more.

12. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I know quite a few farmers and let me tell you that none of them is vegetarian, more, they laugh at "vegetarians" because in their head that doesn't make sense, they are simple people that live from the earth and they don't understand those "fancy things" like being vegetarian and similar stuff LOL. So maybe it's a cultural thing from the US? In Portugal I don't know a single vegetarian farmer!

13. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I think you're right Gelsemium, in my experience farmers are rarely vegetarians, mostly because they understand from the get-go that those animals are being raised with the only purpose of being slaughtered for feeding themselves and their family.

There is no comparison possible between a farmer-grown animal and a factory-raised animal, they are much better treated and I think you can even taste it, the meat isn't as bland and it's more tender as well.

14. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I've seen documentaries about the factory "raised" animals and it's totally shocking, they are not treated like animals, there is no dignity for life at all, the animals still alive are treated like products and they don't care about what is healthy for the consumer, just about profit. So yeah, natural or biological eating is the way to go, it's more healthy and it's way more respectful for animal life.