Dirt Devil Vacuum

Discussion in Product Reviews started by DancingLady • Jul 7, 2015.

1. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I have had a little Dirt Devil canister vacuum since 2011. I have lived in only one and two bedroom apartments and find this to be a very good vacuum for small spaces. It is very light weight as it is the smallest vacuum the company makes other than hand vacs but it works well. It works best on longer carpeting than super short. I would not recommend this for any larger area than a 2 bedroom apartment because I don't think it would hold up well if used that much at one time. Also the canister would get full more than once.

2. milyjohnson

milyjohnsonActive Member

Threads:
    This is good to know. I need a vacuum that works for small spaces. I have a big vacuum, but it doesn't always get to the small spaces. I have to use my broom to get to them because the vacuum I have doesn't pick up everything. I think this would be perfect for my apartment. Thanks for the recommendation.

3. Sue

SueActive Member

Threads:
    At Christmas time this year I bought my daughter a Dirt Devil vacuum and she loves it. It is a canister one but I think it may be the next size up from the one you are talking about. She has a two bedroom apartment and it works great for her to do her entire apartment a few times before the canister would have to be emptied. Dirt Devil is an awesome brand. I have always used them and have never had a problem with them.

4. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    Living alone, I have a small one-bedroom apartment and have been trying to get a vacuum since I moved here, but most of them are too big for my needs.

Even though @DancingLady@DancingLady, you are pointing me at the right direction for my next purchase.

Thank you so much :)

5. missfortune81

missfortune81Member

Threads:
    Ugh,vacuums are SO expensive and the Dirt Devil ones seem like they would be a good bargain, but they have just never worked for me. I wish they did. I have always lived in small apartments, but I have cats so I need something that is good for pet hair. Maybe the smaller ones are good for small jobs. The bigger ones just always break on me way too quickly.

6. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been using inexpensive Dirt Devil vacuums for years, and have been living in 2 bedroom apartments as well. It's overkill to buy a big bulky, more expensive vacuum for an apartment. Not only is it harder to store in your limited closet space, but it's often too bulky to maneuver around since your space is more limited.

I believe I paid like $30 for my first one, and less than $50 when I bought a replacement one several years later. I would have kept my first one, but I spilled a bag of chili powder on the floor and stupidly tried to vacuum it all up - thinking I could simply replace the bag inside and all would be good. But no, it stunk of chili powder all the time going forward, so I had to replace it. But the new one I bought has lasted me over 6 years now with no trouble at all.

The other good thing, is it's such a shame to drop like $200 or more on a vacuum if you've got a household with dogs or cats, because all that hair is ultimately gonna kill your vac quicker. It's better to just replace a more reasonably priced vacuum from time to time, than to hold on to one you paid a lot more for and keep trying to repair it.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks for sharing, @DancingLady@DancingLady :) I have never heard of this Dirt Devil brand before, which is strange given its popularity! We live in a small 2 bed flat and this would be ideal. But in all honesty, I've never seen this brand anywhere here, or even in the UK! I wonder if it's a US specific brand that hasn't made it beyond there?

8. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    well, that sounds nice. I have always used a dust buster which is helpful for small spaces but is not a vac. I do have a big vac that was given to me, but I have almost all bare floors in here so it is not really useful. I might consider a dirt devil sometime since they are affordable. I could probably use one. I wonder how to get one cheaply..

9. nailah783

nailah783Member

Threads:
    We actually just found this vacuum at GoodWill, and it has been working out very well for us. We rarely have that much to do because we don't have that much carpet, but it still seems like a great find at the thrift store.

10. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The Dirt Devil sounds like it would be good for steps also. Our large machine is heavy on the steps and does not clean well with just the hose attachment. I get the steps cleaner using a scrub brush, and its hard work.

11. ZRadach

ZRadachMember

Threads:
    In my experiences basically any vacuum that isnt handheld works great for fairly small dwellings. I have also lived in small apartments and about anything works usually, especially if you have no pets.

On a related note I bought a dirt devil handheld for my current tiny home refurbished on amazon for $20. Works great!

Thanks for reading! :)