Discolored nails

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Mayvin • Aug 14, 2014.

1. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    For the longest time I've had a light black or greyish vertical line down one of my nails and then all of a sudden two more have popped up on other nails. Curious to know if anyone else has had this, and what causes it?

2. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    Have you smashed your finger at some point? My guess is that it is blood - and usually when blood shows up under a nail it is due to an injury to the finger. (It could have happened a long time ago and is only now showing up.)

Otherwise, maybe it is a circulation issue. ALL of my nails take on a bluish tinge when my iron is low or when I'm very cold.

3. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I had this on one of my toes when I was running a lot. I was so scared and after talking to my doctor I learned that it was from smashing my toe. I thought it was a circulation issue. It went away after the nail grew out, but it did take some time.

4. wahmee

wahmeeMember

Threads:
    You probably smashed them really hard somewhere. Get it checked out. Once my daughter threw s whole liter bottle of water from her crib on to my hand on the floor. It hurt so terribly hard I started to cry. It firmed a greyish black spit on my nail that took 6 months to grow out. It is probably that. It could belinear melanonychia.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I guess the other posters are right, it might be a circulation issue or a blood clot. I also had a white spot appear out of the blue in my nail before but it disappeared over time too. I suspect it's because I had some sort of nutrient deficiency.