Discount Prescription Cards

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by MrsJones • Feb 23, 2016.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Under the insurance plan through the health.gov that I signed up for I received a prescription discount card. When I presented the card with my script I was told that the pharmacy did not accept it. I paid $40 dollars for the 2 scripts and have since transferred over to a Walgreen's nearby. Needless to say I didn't save any money that day and I hope to at Walgreens. I also received another discount prescription card in the mail and I have an AARP membership and a Senior's discount card. One of these discount cards has got to benefit me.

Has anyone ever presented a prescription discount card to a pharmacist and actually saved money on their prescription(s)?

2. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I receive them periodically in the mail. I am really leery about using them, because I already have prescription insurance, and am afraid using the random (and unsolicited) card I received in the mail could de-activate my card. For some reason, the 'cramming' and other cell and home telephone long distance scams come to mind, where your bill suddenly increases dramatically, and it turns out by clicking something or checking a box, you've switched programs and are now liable for a huge bill.

Are the medications you're on available as generics? Some of the ones I'm supposed to be on (but can't afford) are supposed to be, but the costs are still prohibitive. It seems to get more confusing daily as to which pharmacy offers the best deal, but it could be worth it to look around and compare the prices. I get emails occasionally from a program that does that, and it's free. I'll try to remember to get the name of the site for you @MrsJones@MrsJones.

3. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I found out today when using my drug discount cards (3) for my prescriptions that all three cards were entered to find out which gave me the better discount. Your pharmacy will probably take your insurance card first because there is a much better chance of receiving a bigger reimbursement than the prescription discount card.

You probably just pay a co-pay for your prescription(s) and nothing more.

4. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I have never used one before so cannot say if they help with the cost of the prescription. I have insurance and am not sure if you use them in conjunction with your insurance or do you have to use them separate? My daughter's one prescription costs $254 a month and that is with insurance and it being generic. It is ridiculous how expensive prescriptions are. I have seen a commercial for an app that will show you the price of prescriptions at different pharmacies. Have you heard of this?

5. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    @morgoodie@morgoodie. I have not heard of an app like the one you mentioned but I am not surprised.

May I suggest that on your next refill give the discount card along with your insurance card, you may be able to cut down your out of pocket costs. It's definitely worth trying.

6. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have used these discount cards successfully at Target pharmacy. My insurance doesnt have a prescription benefit so I am always looking for ways to cut costs. In general though, I think it is best to go directly to the manufacturer and see what kinds of discounts or coupons are available for their products.

7. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I checked my email, and the site I was talking about, that will compare the prices of medications and let you know where you can find the lowest price, is

They will compare prices with your local pharmacies and show which stores have the lowest prices. You can type in the name of your medication, and they'll search around for you, and they also have coupons available.

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have seen the commercial for GoodRX stating that they will find the best price for the drug you are purchasing. I do not need to take any type of drug at this time which I am very grateful for. The few times I needed a prescription filled it was done thru my insurance, I have Kaiser, I was on an eye medication when I switched to Kaiser I was informed I did not need to continue with that medication any longer. The first time I purchase it I got it from Walmart, the second time I purchased from Kaiser and it was cheaper than Walmart, then I was told to stop putting the drops in my eyes.