Dish Network or DirecTV

Discussion in Digital & Web TV started by Gussie • May 5, 2013.

1. Gussie

GussieMember

Threads:
    Both satellite providers have a lot of promotions going all the time; it's a tight race for your dollar. Just a little food for thought when you are selecting one:

DirecTV has MANY lawsuits against it for demanding payment and not providing the service. A lot of these are people who get a new installation and either they don't get the channels promised, or the box doesn't work right, or they aren't getting the promotional deal, but if they try to discontinue the service they are hit with a $200 termination fee. This also applies to folks who get a replacement box; they automatically consider that a NEW installation and if you attempt to cancel within a 2 year period they hit you with that fee. The installation that a fried got was totally inadequate, and he didn't even program the remote to the TV!

We moved one time, and thought to take advantage of the great deal that DirecTV was offering at the time, including Free Installation (same as Dish). The installer came to The House and said that he would have to mount the dish on a pole, but we would have to provide the pole or buy it from him for $75! I called Dish Network and briefly explained that I was planning to change service, and they quickly offered me the same discounts and sent their installer right away - who installed the pole, dug in the line, and hooked up everything for free, provided everything that we asked for, and stayed to make sure that we understood how to use the system before he left.

I'm not saying that Dish Network is perfect, but we have had better reception and customer service from them than DirecTV by a LONG shot.

2. notpay

notpayNew Member

Threads:
    Partly agree.. But every coin has two sides...

3. carclain

carclainNew Member

Threads:
    I like DirecTV much more than Dish. I have used both, and DirecTV is still better for me. Have gotten my friends to use it as well.

4. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I used to have DirecTV until it started to charge me more than what I normally paid. I have switched to Dish Network about a year ago, which I was satisfied because it offered better customer service. My Dish Network bill was way cheaper than my DirecTV bill, which I save around $120 per year.

5. amy005

amy005Active Member

Threads:
    I have Dish right now which I really enjoy using. I feel like I am getting a lot for my money right now since I can use On Demand feautures as well as record live TV and have the ability to pause and rewind live TV. I checked out the pricing for each and found that Dish has a lot more and better channels to offer for the same amount you will pay for Direct TV.

6. MizzDeeDee

MizzDeeDeeMember

Threads:
    I actually prefer DirecTV over Dish. I've actually had better customer service with them over Dish. I actually like their channels better too. I do know that Dish has one station that I wish DirecTV had. They have a channel where you can watch space and watch the sun come up. I would LOVE that channel!

7. clayk7

clayk7Banned

Threads:
    Dish TV is my favorite of the two, but DirecTV has more channels to choose from. Plus, from where i live, I get better reception with DirecTV.

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like DirecTV because AT&T owns them now, so I was able to bundle my internet, phone and TV on one bills for less than what I used to just pay for phone and internet.
    I'm jealous of some of Dish Network's international channels like TV Japan, but I like the ease of getting one bill for everything.

9. jdwriter

jdwriterActive Member

Threads:
    I was a subscriber to Direct TV before AT & T bought them and have to say that I had absolutely no issues with anything in their service. The only problem I initially had was when the installer cut my Comcast line (which is where I get my internet coverage from). They never asked if I needed it. Luckily, I spliced the coax cable and everything has run fine since.

The secondary problem was price after the initial period went up from $69 per month to $159...

10. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We are still stuck with Comcast Cable television, however, they seem to keep raising the bill oery few months, and we are really thinking about changing over to a satellite dish like direct tv or Dish network. it seems like they offer more channels for the same price as cable charges for a lot fewer channels.
    The problem with any of them, is that you have to buy a package program; so you are usually paying for a whole block of channels that you never even look at.
    I like the idea of Apple TV, where we can chooose the channels we like, and only subscribe to them. We would cut the cable and do that immediately, except that we watch Fox News network, and they are not on our Apple TV.

11. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't know first hand because I can't get satellite but I know Direct TV has more programs so if I could I would go with Direct TV.