Dishwasher vs handwashing

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Gelsemium • Feb 28, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I realize most people have a diswasher machine, but I never did. I got used to washing things by hand, but now that my kids are growing the dishes are more and more... and more! :rolleyes: Do you think it's worth to buy a dishwasher or is it too expensive?

2. Cadence

CadenceMember

Threads:
    I have no idea what a dishwasher costs really so I can't really answer your question. Right now though I wouldn't mind having one. When I lived a home with my parents we had a dishwasher and my mom took care of the dishes mostly. Now I live by myself and I don't have a dishwasher so I have to do everything by hand. I've done this for over three years so I guess I'm used to it but I still find myself longing for a dishwasher sometimes, especially when my kitchen counter is full of dishes that will take hours to clean..

3. marmunmrhundun

marmunmrhundunBanned

Threads:
    I mean I have been hand washing all my life, so of course I am going to go with the hand washing method. It is not like the hand washing is easier or anything, but it does seem to be effective for me. When you use a dishwasher you run the risk of it not actually getting your dishes clean. I always go the safe route with hand washing.

4. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I find hard to believe that a washer would actually save my money and work!! It's possible though, especially if you wash your dishes with running water. On the other hand the washer spends a lot of electricity...

5. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    My whole entirely family still handwashes. Dishwashing is for lazy people, its slower as well as being much more inefficient and worse for the environment. If I try hard I can get dirty dishes, wash them and dry them and put them away in under 20 minutes or so and basically for free too.

6. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I don't know if it's for lazy people, but it's certainly for people with more possessions and larger homes, even I wanted to put a dishwasher at my place I wouldn't have space for it because I have a really small flat, not to mention the costs.

7. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    At first I thought you were referring to washing clothes by hand. I've never owned a dishwasher and only used them occasionally at work. A very unnecessary expensive for just one or two people living at home. I always have to rinse them and wash off bits that haven't dislodged anyway, so I never use them by choice.

8. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    My dad does the washing up and he is useless at it! You pull plates, cups and forks out of the cupboards and drawers with food still on them. I have just bought us a dishwasher which will be plumbed in next month so hopefully this will save me having to re-wash everything I use. :)

9. Gelsemium

Threads:
    LOL, so your dad is not suitable to wash and the alternative is a dishwasher? You suck at it too? :) With 3 or 4 people in the house a dishwasher starts to be necessary, but not everyone can afford it or has space for it like it's my case.

10. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I have a dishwasher and use it daily. I also wash dishes daily by hand. I have 3 kids and a husband to clean after. Dishwashers are really not all that expensive but it can be if it's not something you will use all the time.

11. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Never had a dishwasher, not when I was living with my old folks and not now.

The first thing that I'd worry about right now is where to put it. My living place is so small I barely fit the things I really need! On the other hand the time I'd save does sound good, at least from what you guys describe. But until I move in a bigger place and I purchase a dishwasher, handwashing is what I'll do.

By the way, what about electricity, isn't the consumption high?

12. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yep, I think the consumption is pretty much like a washer for clothes, it's high. It's really convenient, when I am at my parents we just put the dishes in the machines and off to relax we go, we save a good half an hour of washing dishes, but we do pay the price for it. ;)

13. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    I would have to go with handwashing. My Mum has a dishwasher and when I try to use it she says thats why God gave us hands:) To be honest to get the best wash most of the things have to be rinsed before they go in anyway. To avoid them coming out with food still on them and having to be rewashed. So to me in doing that I might as well just get on with it and wash it all myself.
    Saying that if you have a large family then I suppose its quite convenient but you could also say that means all the more hands to wash up.

14. ghostwheel

ghostwheelMember

Threads:
    I've never used a dishwasher; always did everything by hand myself.

The amount of time and electricity to operate a dishwasher just seems to me like it's not worth the trouble.

Hand washing means, I can also completely tidy the kitchen and finish the job completely - satisfied at the end that's there's no unfinished business left to be done in the kitchen as well (ie. waiting for dishes to finish washing then drying/putting away in cupboard)

15. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Like I said above, I use it at my parents when they borrow me the house on vacations and it's pretty convenient, you save 20 minutes minimum because instead of washing you just put it in the washer and it does the job for you lol. I am not paying that bill though! :D

16. alahnna

alahnnaMember

Threads:
    I run a daycare so I always have a lot of dishes throughout the day. I cannot be caring for the children while I have my hands stuck in a sink full of dirty dishes. My dishwasher is a lifesaver to me. I can load it up in 2 minutes while the children are finishing up their lunches, most of them will actually put their own dishes in the dishwasher. I buy the dishwasher soap in bulk and wait till it goes on sale and stock up, so it's not overly expensive. I scrape all the plates off into the compost before putting them in the machine, it's very rare I need to rinse the plate so I don't have to do any extra rinsing. They wash for 30 minutes, and they come out clean while I have been doing circle time and art with the children. Once in a great while, a dish will still be dirty and I will have to scrub it by hand but I can usually tell which ones will not come completely clean and I will just wash them by hand first or give them a quick scrub on the stubborn spots. A dishwasher is definitly worth it for me in my line of work.

17. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm a single mother, so handwashing makes more sense for me. When I lived in a group home with 9 other kids and 2 houseparents, it made sense for the house to use a dishwasher because there were a lot of people living there. I don't think a dishwasher is worth the expense for singles or single parents.

18. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I agree with you ACSAPA, we have to optimize our expenses and time, when I was alone with my wife no dishwasher was just fine, but now with the two kids growing sometimes it's really time consuming to be washing the dishes all the time. We can't get a dishwasher though, we have no space for it.

19. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with you wholeheartedly, I think it's easy to become lazy, and dish washing with a machine could contribute to increased utility bills, but on days where I am preparing two or more meals at home, I long for the option of having even one of those little countertop dishwashers to handle some of the load. I just don't have time and quite often the dishes will sit until the next day when one of us has more time to deal with the mess.

20. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    My kids love the dishwasher but I am old fashion I feel my hand-washing has my dishes cleaner than a dishwasher . A dishwasher misses spots to me. I rather clean by hand its just a mind thing with me. I hate spots