Disposable Plastic Containers

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Rosyrain • Jul 14, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    A few years ago Glad and Rubbermaid came out with disposable plastic containers that you can save food in and throw them away after you use them. They are also recyclable. I have been purchasing them and then will reuse them over and over again until they break or get stained and this has saved me a lot of money. When I used to buy the more expensive heavier plastic ones I would get frustrated when someone in my family failed to bring them home after using them, or I would lose a lid. Now it is not a big deal if one fails to come home because the disposable ones are cheap. Do you reuse these containers?

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a set of nice plastic Rubbermaid Easy Find Lid food containers for my own use and then I have a set of the disposable ones on hand so that I don't have to loan my good containers out.

3. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Those disposable plastic container for food is what is used here by some restaurants when they have orders for delivery. We have been keeping those disposable plastic containers since we can reuse them for our daily needs like reheating food in the microwave (yes, those disposable plastic containers are microwavable).

4. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    Be careful with them, they can release endocrine disrupting chemicals into your food. They are also toxic when microwaved.

I only use glass containers for my work lunches or high quality plastic food grade bags.

5. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I use glass containers for my work lunches because I know they will make it back to my house. It is the rest of the family that has issues returning them home.

I am not sure my kids schools allow the use of glass containers because of the concern over them breaking and cutting someone. I like to take my food to work in glass containers because the glass heats up the food better in the microwave.

#5Jul 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2015
  6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    We use them until they break in our household but even for storage we usually stick to glass and ceramic and only use the plastic containers as a last resort. After they break or if they start looking old, we just start using them for other things not related to food, such as containers for supplies or temporary holders for whatever we need it for. Usually we start using it for art projects to serve as bowls for things I don't like using actual bowls I use food for, so for items like glitter or glue this is great since they are disposable.

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think there is too much paranoia over plastic and I use plastic whenever I can because it's practical and safer. Dollar Tree do sets of three tubs by Rubbermaid and Betty Crocker and I don't mind if I bake some cookies and give them away to people in the tub. They are also good for traveling because when you are on the road, glass is not practical and using foil doesn't protect the food shape.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We also have reusable plastic containers that we keep in the house since they were included in the food that we buy. We also rarely use Tupperwares anymore to store food, right now we use only those clear disposable ones. They're also lighter too and not as bulky as Tupperware.

9. watsadamen

watsadamenMember

Threads:
    I agree with you. That is what I do, too. I recycle disposable plastic containers. I use the containers for storing cooked food and for raw meat. To remove stains or the smell of the previous contents, I soak the container with vinegar before washing. This usually works for me.

Also, the containers are useful during parties and family get-together. I let them use the plastic containers if they want to bring the leftover food. At least, I would worry if they return the containers or not.

10. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    Disposable containers are very handy, especially for sending food to school with kids. I agree that it's so much easier when lids go missing or if you give it to someone to take home for leftovers. They are relatively inexpensive. But if I'm taking food to work that has to be reheated I've switched to using glass containers. Then I don't worry about chemicals from the plastic leaching into the food as it heats up.

11. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:I like the reusable plastic that deli comes in too. It travels well. I ride the bus only and these plastic containers that deli meats comes in is durable and I reuse them all the time till they break. We have fresh fish that is packaged in plastics too. We reuse them too. I like the Rubbermaid and Glad plastics too. You are so right sometimes the plastics don't return, but they're family and friends so it's okay!

12. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to keep some of these on hand, but I don't use them on a daily basis for storing and re-heating stuff. I try to use glass as much as possible for that type of stuff, because many plastics are toxic when heated in the microwave.

The main reason I keep these on hand, is when I am entertaining and cooking. I like to give away some leftovers to bring home and these are perfect because they are so inexpensive you don't have to bother your guests with having to return all of these containers to you. They can simply keep them and use them themselves.

Incidentally, I've also got a bit of a collection of them from my friends who have done the same thing when I went over their houses to eat, lol.