DIY body wash

Discussion in Home & Garden started by maddie • Mar 7, 2013.

1. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I am fussy with soap , most soaps don't suit my skin, they make it go dry. I decided to make my own body wash.
    I used my best soap to make this.

I used an old cheese grater to grate my soap. I added 200 ml of water to 75 gms of soap.
    This I let in boil in a pan all the while stirring it.
    I waited until all the soap melted and became one liquid cream. I added 50ml of glycerin and a few drop of coconut oil to it.
    Since I love lavender I added a few drop of essential oil to my preparation after it cooled down completely and bottled it in used moisturizers containers.
    I find this much more soothing to my skin and a new way to make soap last longer. I have also upcycled the containers and have ended with 450ml of very mild liquid soap.

I also use the same procedure for making my own hand washes. Here I add pepper mint or lemon essential oils. I also drop a bit of topical antiseptic lotion to it. ( don't go over board with this) You could make it from left over soap.
    Do you make your own body washes or soaps or cleansing lotions. Please share your recipes with us here.

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use the left over pieces of bar soap to make bubble bath, just by putting the pieces of soap in a container with water in the microwave for a few seconds to mix the two.

I have wanted to make my own soap but have not tried it yet.

Thanks for the share.

3. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    This is pretty enterprising of you, Maddie! I am also wary of certain soaps because of the skin drying factor. I really like Kiss My Face, but in recent years I've just been using Dr. Bronner's, which is already liquid. I also use African black soap sometimes. The important thing for me is to follow up with a body oil or even just olive oil after bathing.

4. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    @ Pat, I guess you can microwave it too.. But I don't care too much for microwaving anything. It is easy to make your own soap too I guess.. I have never made one from scratch.
    @ Chanell, Necessity is the mother of enterprise.. lol My skin is so finicky and I'd rather take good care of it without having to spend too much in simple ways.