Diy Make Your Own Christmas Decorations

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by Zyni • Dec 11, 2015.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So, it seems that many people enjoy making handmade Christmas gifts, but what about Christmas decorations? I've made a few in the past, but I haven't really done any this year so far.

I've been thinking about making a patchwork tree skirt. I have some bits and pieces of holiday Fabric, some festively colored material, and some lace. I think these would make a pretty tree skirt in patchwork quilt fashion.

I don't know that I'll have time to complete it this holiday season, but hopefully I can get it started and do it for next year. I might even make more for gifts if it turns out well.

2. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was about to create a thread on this subject when I saw yours! I have been looking on Pinterest a lot lately, because I always create a board for handmade Christmas gifts and decor, to promote handmade artists. While over there, I decided to look up some signs, because I haven't been able to find one I like in my price range. I don't have the tools and supplies to make the one I really want (or more than one), but like you, I have an eye for next year. I might try making a smaller sign this year, then possibly expand on it next year, if I'm able to pull everything I need together. This is something like what I'd like to make, except mine would be more difficult, because it would involve several words, versus one strand of lights for the one word.

3. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I could lose an entire day on Pinterest, it seems, if I'm not careful. Ha ha.

Oh, I really like that. The lighted signs are very cool. I imagine that it would be a bit more difficult to make if using several words. I think it will look great though. It's something you can keep for a long time, to use again and again, so I think it would be well worth the cost and effort.

I love making stuff. I just wish I had more time to spend doing it.

4. TheLovingLeah

TheLovingLeahActive Member

Threads:
    Oooo that sounds like a lovely idea! I do not know why I did not think on doing that. I used to always LOVE making snowflakes out of white paper. I just really LOVE making things in general actually. I would get some decorations if my sister’s birthday was not this month. I really want to get her something. But perhaps I might have enough left to get cool decoration making things. Otherwise there's going to be snowflakes EVERYWHERE...DUN! DUN! DUN!

5. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think this is a good idea for me. Last night, it was already December 13, and I was still not finished with the Christmas decorations. Although I was partly done with the Christmas tree, the Christmas lights are still to be installed in the front yard. Now, if I am going to make my own decorations for that, I would probably have to start in January. Sometimes I realize that my daily schedule is getting to be very hectic.

6. Diane Lane

Threads:
    That sounds like a great plan for January @Corzhens@Corzhens. Do y'all drive around and look at others' decorations? That's one of my favorite things to do this time of year. I'm working on a low cost sign of my own. I don't have a good drill or money for supplies, so I'm making mine out of foamboard, glitter, glue, and lights. Unfortunately, one set of lights was defective, so I'll have to get a replacement. This is something I'm doing more for fun than to actually display, since it's my first attempt. It's sort of a prototype, and hopefully in the future I'll have the wherewithal to be able to create a more substantial one such as those on Pinterest.

7. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I loved to make my own decorations in the past because this activity used to complement the seasonal joy in my heart, but sadly I don't longer have enough spare time for it.

As noted in another thread; my new year's resolution is starting to write down my upcoming projects, tasks and goals, and maybe this serves me to organize my time better and take this tradition back next year.

8. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    This year I made matching homemade stockings for each family member. I used a beautiful Christmas table cloth which is blue with silver snowflakes for the fabric. It was .50 cents at a thrift store! I cut up an old white satin stocking and used pieces of it for the cuff, and used white ribbon I had on hand to sew on a loop to hang them up with. I had not sewn in years before this project, but knowing that my materials cost next to nothing, I was not afraid of messing it up! The stockings turned out great, and took me only a couple hours to sew. I am sure a more experienced sewer could get it done much quicker! It was fun, and it is meaningful to have stockings that I made for my family, just like how my mom made stockings for me and my siblings when I was a kid.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    When I was younger I always read about people making popcorn strings to hang in their Christmas tree during Christmas and I've always wanted to try it but I never got around to it. Now that I'm older I'm not sure I still want to try it as I think it would be fun but I worry that having food out like that would attract some insects or rats or something. I'm sure I'm just paranoid but I don't think I would be able to sleep that well being aware of this. I'm willing to just make some paper decorations though but I think I'd just much rather buy them if they aren't too expensive and maybe just spend my time on something else.

10. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Me, driving around to look at the decorations of other houses? You can say that again. Especially after dinner time, my husband and I walk around the village to admire the Christmas decorations, not only the lights but also the figurines and designs. Honestly, I get some ideas from that. Like this year, our Christmas tree is themed silver. All the decorations are silver with a yellow star at the top.

11. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love it. Your stockings so just beautiful. That was a really creative plan. I love doing stuff like that.

Like you said, I'm much less fearful when I'm playing with materials that didn't cost too much. I think I make my best stuff when I just go for it like that. If the materials were expensive, I'd be far more apprehensive. That would also take some of the fun out it.

Great job. You not only saved a bunch of money, but you made something beautiful that will now be a part of your family's traditions and memories. In my book, that's priceless. :)

12. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have no single creative bone in my body, so I'm not sure I'd be successful at making anything nice LOL I would still have fun looking on Pinterest, though. I too can lose hours just 'mooching' around that site! I'm a huge fan of that site, and the amount of creative stuff on there is amazing. Most of it looks very easy to make, until you give it a go hehe So nah, I'd rather just go out and buy the decorations ready made.

13. Diane Lane

Threads:
    @Corzhens@Corzhens I used to walk around back home and look at the decorations, as well. Here, things are too far apart, and there are no sidewalks, so I drive, instead. I haven't taken a drive to see them yet. It seems since the economy tanked in 2008, fewer homes are decorated, but last year I noticed a slight uptick. I don't need to go far, there's one in particular I want to see (see attached pic), and it's only a neighborhood or two away.

When I lived in Houston, I used to drive through River Oaks, which is a high end with a lot of mansions, and most have their lights and decorations professionally done, so they are amazing to see, but I still like the ones people do on their own.

My sign looks o.k. Hopefully next year I'll be able to make a more professional looking one. I still need to tweak it a bit, but it looks o.k. for a homemade sign.

Attached Files:

14. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Any home made decorations I make would have to be started weill in advance to give me enough time to get it completed with all the other things taking up my time. I would like to have more of my own creative thinks around me, not that I have done much but I can sew and have made a few nice pillows.

15. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:I haven't made any Christmas decorations for ages! I just can't seem to find the time to make my own decorations any longer. I just buy some Christmas decorations or put up some that I got as gifts.

16. Diane Lane

Threads:
    I've been wanting a light up Merry Christmas, Y'all sign for the longest time. There's no power out front at this house, with the exception of the tiny porch light, so I decided to try making my own sign. I don't have a lot of tools or money to invest in them, so I decided to make a more scaled down version that was more affordable. I tried hanging it last night, and it looked pretty good. I pulled it down a bit ago and blinged it up with gold paint and glitter. Hopefully it will look good once I'm finished. Here's a picture of it before I added the gold paint and glitter today. The letters were already created in glitter, but I wanted a little extra sparkle, since it's a holiday sign. There was no way I was going to attempt to cut it into the shape of the state of Texas, but hopefully someday I'll be able to do that when I have better equipment/tools, or I might end up buying one like the sign I posted above.

Attached Files:

17. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Diane Lane@Diane Lane...Wow, that looks pretty! It looks just as good as any, to be honest. I don't even think it needs cutting into any shape to enhance the beauty of it! Where did you get the idea, was it all yours? I'd like to see what it looks like finished, because for me, it looks lovely as it is :)