DIY or Professional Installation

Discussion in Home & Garden started by vida_llevares • Nov 11, 2012.

1. vida_llevares

vida_llevaresActive Member

Threads:
    When you buy your own household furnishings such as sinks and countertops, would you prefer to handle the installation by yourself or ask a professional to do it?

Aside from the cost considerations, are there other factors that should be looked into in making the decision?

2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I would prefer to let a professional handle installing sinks and countertops, I am just not that handy when it comes to things like that. I also expect that they will back thier work up with a guarantee and will fix any problems. I don't mind doing smaller projects and small repairs but when it comes to the larger stuff, they are much better at doing the job than me!

3. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I would prefer to handle it myself, but that doesn't mean I am always able to do so, lol. I have slowly been getting tools to be able to do more things for myself, but when it comes to the the big stuff I either have to have help, or have someone else do it for me. It's a lot easier and faster when you can do stuff yourself, not to mention economical.

4. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    In most cases I would just get a professional to do it, especially if it was something to do with plumbing, cabinets, counters, carpets, etc... I've seen too many botched DIY projects at my friend's houses that just ended up being a waste of supplies and look worse than they did before they started. My friend tried to re-tile her floor recently and it looks terrible. Her house is really old so everything is crooked and uneven, including the floors. The tiles are starting to shift around and break now because of it.

The only thing I prefer to do myself is installing car stereos and speakers. It's incredibly easy to do and you don't have to worry about someone damaging your car. One time I had a deck installed at a car audio place and they cracked part of my dashboard. Another time, a similar thing happened at a Ford dealership of all places, they were checking a rattling near my deck and put a huge scratch in my dashboard in the process.

5. melovesengland

melovesenglandMember

Threads:
    Professional I prefer specially for people like me who doesnt have any ideas with DIY. By that, its all out of my way and it wont stress me that much apart from spending couple of grand for the fee. :)