Diy Paint

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by cocolgooh • May 4, 2016.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    Have you ever made your own paint? I've used flour, water and food coloring before as a way to make paint and that came out quite well. I've also used a mixture of glue and food coloring for painting as well. Chalk paint can be made easily too by mixing paint with unsanded grout and a little water. I find that making my own paints can work out a lot cheaper than buying them in the store.

2. Lisa Davis

Lisa DavisActive Member

Threads:
    While I have no children of my own, I have 11 Godchildren and 2 nieces. When I had custody of two of my Godchildren, they were both small and I was always looking for activities for them and supplies do get expensive! This is particularly true when small children (they were 5 and 2 at the time) have a hard time understanding the concept of conservation. I didn't have much money then and that's when I first started making paint. The first few times weren't as good as when I started playing with the recipes a bit. Here's a link to a website that lists six different paint recipes:

3. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have a lot of experience with doing this, but I plan to mix up some paint soon for the grandkids to play with. It's how I plan to get rid of my food coloring that's currently sitting in the spice cabinet.

I just read how horrible a lot of this stuff is for us to ingest, so I don't want to cook or bake with any more. I don't want to waste it either, so making paint with it seems like a good option to save money and avoid waste. I bet there are tons of recipes on Pinterest.

It will also be fun to do some painting with the kiddos. I got them some cute little aprons at the dollar store a while back, so those will work to protect their clothing while they paint.

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow, @cocolgooh@cocolgooh....wherever did you get that idea?! I didn't know you could make your own paint, so the idea would never have entered my mind. That's such a neat idea! So yea, as you can tell, I've never made my own paint. I don't ever make anything of my own from scratch, well except for meals at home. It's not something I think about, because it never even occurs to me that some things are possible!

5. ashley0323

ashley0323Member

Threads:
    I have two toddlers and a 5 year old. Needless to say, we are always doing crafty things and trying out new DIY ideas! Our favorite DIY paint is flour, water, and food coloring! Its not too messy and you can change how vibrant you want the colors by adding more or less food coloring.Plus, its fairly easy to clean up. I use warm water and a drop of dawn.