Diy Skin Care

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by LeopardJones • Apr 14, 2015.

1. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I’ve seen a lot of posts throughout the forum about coconut oil, and I’m a fan of it myself. So I decided to go ahead and start this topic. What are some of your favorite recipes or items you use for skin care?

Coconut oil seems to be one of the best all-rounders. I love how soft it makes my skin feel when I use it to remove makeup. I don’t use it very often on my hair, just when I feel like I might be overdoing it on the blow-drying, but I know others have had good results. And it helped soothe a small eczema patch I got when I started working at an animal sanctuary.

I also like honey and oatmeal. Usually I’ll use them together as a mask or a gentle scrub. I take about a teaspoon of oats and heat them up in the microwave for 30 seconds with about two teaspoons of water, then squeeze some honey in and mix it up. Give it a little time to cool if you try this, though; I’ve put it on when it’s still too hot, which isn’t pleasant. Honey on its own also seems to be the best way for me to remove lipsticks. I’ve tried brown sugar/honey scrubs on my lips, but I think they’re too sensitive to handle that level of exfoliation.

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can see coconut oil is growing in popularity! I would never have thought to use it as makeup remover; does it not leave your skin feeling too greasy? I have greasy skin as it is, I'm not sure if this would work for me. I mean, do you then use skin toner afterwards?

What I do like is this mask I knock together as suggested by an indian lady I know, which helps with uneven skin tone. I mix turmeric with a little apple cider vinegar mixed with equal parts water/rosewater and slap it on for ten minutes. It works like a dream. My skin is left very soft, smooth and although it's slow, I can see my skin becoming more and more even.

3. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I usually just blot as much of the oil away as possible, or use the oatmeal/honey treatment afterward, and then rinse everything off with warm water. My skin has slight dry patches, which is why coconut oil seems to be best for me. It makes me a bit wary about using toner, but as long as I’m diligent about rinsing I’ve never really had a problem with excess oil. Macadamia nut oil may be another option for some people, if it isn’t too difficult to procure. My skin didn’t like it as much as coconut oil, but macadamia nut oil does feel lighter and less greasy.

I’ve heard good things about turmeric in DIY skin care, plus I enjoy cooking with it. That mask is something I’ll have to try at some point.

4. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    I'm a huge fan of coconut oil. I keep a small container in the shower so I can rub it in while I am warm and wet. I can not say enough how much I love it for beauty and skin as well as cooking. It seriously is healthy and good for you in so many ways I make it an effort to make it a regular part of my beauty regime.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to do this sort of thing as a teen, but these days you can get good quality products at the pound or dollar store and I would rather use those products. I used to work in the beauty industry so the only thing I would use is almond oil for my nails and my feet.

If you have sensitive skin, it's best not to experiment too much as you could end up with rashes as natural products aren't stable.

6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I have never tried honey and oatmeal for my skin before. It sounds like a pretty good idea. Thank you for your awesome tips! :)

7. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I use coconut oil too. I also use an oatmeal almond scrub for my face. I have heard of honey being good but just never tried it. Each time I hear of it, I get more inspired.
    I really hate that my skin (and my hair) is so dry and I have been reading up on things that can help. I am going to try a spray mist with water, vegetable glycerin and aloe very gel. After the mist, the lock the moisture in with the coconut oil or creamy Shea butter.

8. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    I love using coconut oil on my skin. Sometimes when I am cooking Ill also drip a little olive oil on my hands, it really softens them up.

A couple other products I make at home is a face scrub. I use lemon juice, a little oil and sugar. This scrubs away the top layer of your skin and the lemon helps even out skin tone. I also use this as a lip scrub when needed.

I use gelatin to make a face mask. I put a gelatin (flavorless) in a bowl with a little oil and water and heat it in the microwave for 10 seconds then apply it to my face.

I usually only do it to my nose and chin area, because it can get a little rough when I peel it off. This works to remove clogged pores. I only do it once in a while and I feel it is tough on my skin if I do it too much.

9. Nekomimi_mode

Nekomimi_modeNew Member

Threads:
    Castor oil is another good one. It's great for helping the hair grow out and can be used as a moisturizer on the face or the body. It's perfect in the winter time because it's so thick and viscous. I also use emu oil. Emu oil is highly moisturizing so a little goes a long way but it always leaves my skin feeling soft and moisturized. I'm with you on the honey. I usually use it as a simple facial mask in conjunction with green tea and ginger. I also use lemon juice to brighten my skin. I heard that sea buckthorn oil is excellent so i'm trying to get my hands on that at the moment. Tea tree oil makes for a nice toner and can be used to treat pimples. Rose water makes for a nice toner too. After that, I use oatmeal as a mild exfoliant and also to calm my eczema.

10. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure if this would count in this thread. I use aloe vera for my feet. I soak my feet in cold water for 2 minutes before applying aloe vera on the entirety of my feet, that's straight from the succulent spear. Let it rest for 5 minutes before washing off. That treatment is to relax the veins and tradition say that it can prevent varicose veins.