Diy Time - Reupholstering A Couch

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Zyni • Jan 14, 2016.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, reupholster isn't really the right word. I guess you could say I want to "rescue" my couch. It's seen better days. I can't afford a new one right now, and a couch is something I just don't want to buy used.

So, I've been looking around and learning how to restore stuff, re-fluff cushions, make slipcovers, and all that good stuff. I think I have a pretty good idea now of what I need to do. It will save me a ton of money to pick up some items at the home improvement store and the Fabric store instead of heading off to the furniture store.

I want to change the style a bit too, and that's the tricky part. Wish me luck.

Have you ever redone a sofa? I'd love to hear your tips.

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never restyled a sofa. One thing I love to do is watch the shows that show you have to take what you have and repurpose it in stead of always purchasing new. I have seen a show that restyled the sofa and recovered it. There are videos and books that can help you out.

Good luck. I look forward to hear about your progress.

3. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I also have a chair that has 'good bones' that I want to remove the springs and replace them with a piece of sturdy wood and a cushion. You might consider applying this method with your couch. I also plan on making my own slipcover for it too. The cheaper way for me is to find like tablecloths instead of buying upholstery fabric which is pretty expensive these days.

4. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is basically what I have in mind as well. I've found that foam can be fairly pricey, so I have my eye open for deals.

Yes, I like to use things like pretty sheets instead of fabric. You get a lot more for your money.

Tablecloths would also work. A nice set with matching place mats would be kind of perfect I was thinking. I could use the place mats on the "arm" parts to give them a bit of extra protection, since that part seems to take more wear and tear.

Good luck with your chair. :)