Do adverts effect what you buy?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by sarz • Apr 3, 2014.

1. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    For me adverts are a pet peeve I hate most of them. They're just in the way of what I am watching as far as I am concerned. I don't buy into them and adverts have absolutely no effect on what I buy. Most of them are just rubbish. So I tend to stick to buying what I like.

2. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    Ads notify me about products but that's about it. They are ridiculous now and make it seem like you need this product that will instantly change your entire life. This just makes me want the product less and some of these ads really annoy me.

3. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Well for one thing, it gets me informed. I mean, I wouldn't want to live in a world where you have to do all the searching for the product you need. And some of them are very entertaining. But I don't buy products just because of the adverts, I'm more on the practical side of things. If you need it you buy it. And it does kind of have an impact on the way I buy stuff, I mean sure adverts are just sugar coated bull crap, but I wouldn't buy a product that is not publicly known.

4. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    Not really. Some ads can be overrated and make the product look too god to be true. For this reason I must take my time to check the product out first before buying it. I also never listen to sales people who their main aim is just to promote the promote nothing else.

5. David Scott

David ScottNew Member

Threads:
    I don't mind advertisements on TV as they give me a chance to get a drink or snack or visit the bathroom :cool:

Seriously though, they do serve a purpose. If there were no ads on TV the shows you like to watch probably wouldn't exist. Television is all about advertising and its the main revenue stream for television stations. The actual ads themselves can be quite informative and entertaining and whether you believe they are not having an effect or not, I can almost guarantee that subconsciously, they are doing the job the intend to do. I do agree though that some ads are so annoying that I have been turned right off the product or brand and will not purchase purely because I hate the ads. On the flipside, the ads I like do the job of creating a relationship between me and the advertiser and I am more inclined to consider that brand when purchasing. Mostly though, I purchase based on price, reputation, reliability and suitability regardless of what ads I have seen on TV.

6. AB9100

AB9100Member

Threads:
    I would not say that they have no effect, but it is minimal.

Like you. I do my research, and for the most part i already know what i want to buy, and adverts have little effect. However. Every now and then i will see a product that i am not familiar with, and that usually translates into a purchase.

Those type ads may inspire an initial purchase, but the odd of those consumers returning to purchase again is based on quality. Ads will not work after that.

7. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree! Adverts are a huge pain and I get really angry at them because they are slowing me down from watching what I really want to watch. I don't really mind adverts on billboards or magazines, but on TV I do. That is the main reason why I don't watch too much TV anymore. I watch everything online mostly, or I put a cable from my computer to the TV to watch stuff on TV, but coming from my computer. That way I can just watch what I want to! I work 40 hours a week, I don't have time to waste 15 minutes out of every 60 minutes of the show to see stupid commercials! That' a big rant, but there you go.

8. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't pay any attention to advertisements whatsoever. If I need to buy something new that costs over a hundred dollars, I start looking around shops for specials and compare prices. Occasionally a shop assistant will point out some advertisement, but I will only look at it if it has information that I want or need, or if it benefits me in some other way.
    Most of the time I find advertisements insulting, especially when I find them in my e-mail accounts.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree, they also don't affect me at all in the sense that I get influenced to buy a certain product, and they just seem like huge time fillers in the middle of what I'm watching. But sometimes when telco companies are concerned, they're a bit helpful in informing the people of the latest promos that they have.

#9Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  10. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hate ads as much as I hate salesmen. The easiest way to convince me to not buy a product is by trying to convince me to buy it. Ads try to get people to buy products because those products are sooooo much better than others. I find such kind of stuff rather off-putting.

For me, ads have always had the opposite effect on me. I'll not buy a product that's extensively advertised.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    For the most part, no, aside from the fact that it reminds me they exist and therefore I consider them as options. They do have an effect to me if the ads are really annoying. If I am annoyed enough, then I might just decide on not frequenting an establishment or not buying their product until enough time has passed, but as far as good ads encouraging me to buy, not that much.

12. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    Ads are designed to attract a specific market. Take nature for instance. That brightly colored bird was meant to attract the female species of it. Some brightly colored toads are meant to give warning that they are poisonous. Awareness is key. If the ad was not meant for you, then that's just that. But they DO influence people of their buying habits. These advertisers wouldn't be spending millions for nothing.

13. devilishomar

devilishomarMember

Threads:
    It depends on the kinds of adverts I am exposed to, really. I'm more of a technology kind of guy, so you can see whether or not I'll be interested in an advert or not. If it was something related to something cool in technology like sites offering to teach you how to code, I'd give it a click just to check it out.

However, if it was an ad about something like a PC cleaner, I'll close that down to the ground! They're so annoying ads, because the programs that they advertise don't even effect your PC that much, and all they do is slow it down even more.

It's annoying to have ads pop-up when you're watching videos too (even technology ads). It does have a lot of negatives, but a few positives as well!

14. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Very rarely have I ever seen an ad that actually made me want to buy a product or try out a service. They're just not that effective on me, but I guess we're all affected by ads to some degree, since science has proven as much over the years. I'm not even bothered by ads because I've come to expect them when I'm browsing the Web, streaming content online, or simply watching television. I feel like most people feel the same way about them.

15. ItsZiggy

ItsZiggyNew Member

Threads:
    Ads on TV aren't usually all that effective, a lot of people don't pay much attention to them, and if they do they aren't interested. For me, ads don't really work, I know what I need and what I want, ads don't generally affect what I work towards getting, but I can see the purpose of them, they keep a lot of free and useful things like social media up and running, so I don't mind them too much.