Do Canadians get free books when using Amazon Kindles?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by andrew320 • Dec 18, 2012.

1. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I'm considering purchasing an Amazon Kindle in the next few months because you get access to hundreds of thousands of free books that are pre-1913. Does this also apply to Canada? I'm wondering because each country has different copyright laws, correct?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. LovelyLanie

LovelyLanieMember

Threads:
    I am a Canadian too. I have never heard about this deal, but I want in on it too! I'm pretty sure that there will be an equivalent deal for Canadians because our money is just as good as our U.S. friends. That would be great to have access to all the classics for free, a very merry Christmas gift for yourself indeed. Anyway, sorry I can't be more helpful.

3. PubD

PubDMember

Threads:
    I have a Kindle, plus the kindle app on my android tablet. If there are free books in the kindle store, they are free for Canadians too. I haven't downloaded any of public domain books from the kindle store, but there are lots of others that are free. You can also download books for your kindle from other sites, but you might need to transfer them to your kindle via USB. There are some links to various free ebook sources here:

4. bryce12

bryce12Active Member

Threads:
    I would suggest that you to Amazon directly, choose your location as Canada and then search for free books. The copyright laws are different for different countries so we cannot assume that whatever is free in States would also be free elsewhere. However since you are looking for almost 100 year old books, my gut feeling is that the books should be available for free even in Canada.

5. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I was going to suggest what bryce12 did, going to Amazon's website and set your location to see what comes up when your search for free eBooks. I am thinking that you should be able to get older books for free no matter where you are but I could be wrong. One way to find out, give it a try and see what comes up. Let us know your results!