Do Double Coupons Still Exist?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Ke Gordon • Feb 18, 2016.

1. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know in this area, many of the stores used to offer double coupons. I have not seen any stores advertising this for awhile. I am wondering if they are trying to cut down on extreme couponers. I know I have seen double coupons not in this immediate area, but in a slightly largely community, maybe 2 years ago, but I have not seen anything recently..Are stores near you still doing this?

2. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    Hmmm, that's a really good question. I'm going to assume that they don't exist anymore because I used to be the queen of the double coupons. Kroger became my go to grocery store for this main reason, but they've moved on from this. In my area, I see more stores using the Buy One Get One Free offer.

3. Ke Gordon

Threads:
    Yes, I think they have pretty much gone away, in this area of the country anyway. I really can't remember the last store I saw a store advertising double coupons. However, you can still get the double coupon effect by using electronic store coupons combined with other coupons like those from dontpayfull.com, coupon sherpa etc. Many times the same items will be offered in both places.

#3Feb 19, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2016
  4. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to hear a lot about double, and even triple, coupons. I haven't heard anything about either in quite a while. I think you could be right about the extreme couponing. When I first heard of them, I figured their ways of gaming the system would ultimately end up hurting regular consumers who use coupons as a way to stretch their budgets, and it appears that may be the case. I've never heard of any form of doubling of electronic coupons either, just the printed ones.

5. Ke Gordon

Threads:
    @Diane Lane@Diane Lane, I think in the case of the extreme couponers..they weren't really gaming the system, I watched them on TV, everything they did was fair and square, because many of them spent hours on this project and went all over the place to collect the coupons. They were getting a payback for their work, but yeah...I think they may have put an end to double coupons..in stores..sad to say. There was a store here that used to offer it, but since that store doesn't carry a lot of namebrands, 90 percent of the time you couldn]t find the item you had a coupon for!

6. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    Although many stores in my area used to double coupons a couple of years ago, today there are zero stores in the state that I live in that double coupons. This is really unfortunate, because if there was even one store that did, I am sure many people (including myself) would go out of their way to shop there. I suppose it is the end of the double couponing era! If I had to guess, perhaps stores were tired of people cleaning out the shelves on the coupon items, and using multiple trips and their family members to in order to acquire more than the limited amount of coupon items per person.

7. Ke Gordon

Threads:
    It may have been a combination of that, and also manufacturers started offering their coupons for 55c and most stores would only double coupons up to a dollar. I mean a smart shopper can still double coupons, by using store coupons, and sites like DontPayFull.com for the same item but it is something that doesn't work for all items. I guess the extreme couponers are looking for other methods to save money.

8. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I was just wondering this myself just the other day when I was grocery shopping. I would have to say they have gone away because I have not heard of them for a while. I know Kroger where I shop the most does not do this. When I was growing up, I remember my parents clipping the double and triple coupons out of the paper and going through their coupons before going grocery shopping. I wish they would bring it back so I could save more money when I go to the grocery store.

9. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Certain Safeway and Kroger stores on the west coast did for a long time. I rarely shop at these stores now but what my grandmother used to do was read the newspapers for midweek specials. Also, shopping reward cards can be beneficial.