Do expensive products work better?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by DealHunter1 • Oct 13, 2013.

1. DealHunter1

DealHunter1Member

Threads:
    I know this lady who refuses to buy anything less than name brand products for her face and skin. She says it's the only thing she'll never comprise on. I've found some products that aren't expensive that work really well. I only buy them when I've heard enough feedback from the people that use it. I don't really think it matters as long as it works, but she says in the long run you'll be able to tell the difference.

Do you think more expensive products are better for skin care?

LOVE & DEALS
    DH:cool:

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Definitely not. I have a firm belief that all products are of almost the same quality. By almost, I mean that there are some that will be of a slightly higher quality [though not necessarily more expensive] while others will be of a slightly lower quality but targeted specifically at those who hate to spend money or don't earn enough to blow it on beauty products.

But then, well. . .taste dictates what someone buys expensive or not.

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's amazing to me, the jacked up prices of these "high end" brands. Costs them pennies to make, and you an arm and a leg to buy. You're paying mostly for the packaging, so if the cost is still jacked and very little packaging.. don't be silly lol.

4. thelovelyone0

thelovelyone0Banned

Threads:
    No, I have purchased make-up that were inexpensive as well as expensive and they both work well. I think that the make-up that costs more looks nice regardless and the make-up that is inexpensive, you would have to know how to apply it in order for it to look nice. For instance, I purchased an NYC foundation as well as their face primer. I first applied it any kind of way and it looked terrible. Once I took my time and applied it, it looked really nice. The expensive foundation looks nice regardless. it may be just me though. :D

5. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Just like the price it really depends. There are stuff, like cameras that are definitely worth the price, there is just that is just ridiculous, like those $5000+ HDMI cables (really anything higher than $20 is already too much) and for last we also have stuff that is stupid, the main thing that comes to mind are those scientific calculators that no one knows how do they work because they are so complex, but people still buy them so expensive.

6. kevin786

kevin786Member

Threads:
    It's not always matter that expensive things will be good. I think all products have same quality

7. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I think that it depends on the products. Most name-brand, expensive cosmetics and beauty supplies are not worth the higher prices. You are just paying for the name. There are a lot of generic or store brand products that work the same and sometimes even better. I believe your friend is believing false hype or advertisements. However, it sounds like she won't budge on her beliefs. In the end, she is the one missing out. Missing her money.

8. coco85

coco85New Member

Threads:
    It's great for brands that they have their fair share of brand loyalty but I don't really agree that only expensive products work well for skincare. There are way too many products in the market these days which comprise of the same ingredients so it is possible for you to find expensive as well as cheaper products which offer you the exactly same thing but its just the pricing and the way it is marketed which differs. Since its skincare and no one wants to end up with horrible skin, it is best to check out product reviews and know what kind of products suit your skin type best before experimenting.

9. nhsososo4

nhsososo4Member

Threads:
    Expensive products are just expensive products and nothing special about them, its all about promoting the brands. I have a skin problem acne, I have had it for the past 12 years, and it has gotten better over the years but It is still there. I do not know how many products I have used, from all, Snail gel, dermafix, Bionike, Ganier, Palmers, Clearasil, Bio oil, the list is endless, I could write the whole day.

All these products have done nothing but leave me broke, desperate and without hope. They all promise miracle and when you look at the money that you have to spend you always believe it is really going to work. The other issue is that they always use well known famous celebrities to promote their brands, like Olay and when you look at their skins, why wouldn't you want to have such as well. You end up going to buy that expensive product forgetting that the person advertising never even had a problem in the first place.

I have found home remedies to work best for me, they take time but in the end you do see some progress and are always far less cheaper. Thus I say we should not be fooled by the price, it all depends on your individual situation.

10. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    I think that the price doesn't matter, but there are some things that if they are too cheap, you should check whether there are reviews on it to see if it works, check the components to see if it will last. As to personal care products, check the ingredients and see if you are paying more for the same thing. Since labeling laws are really quite good, you can see if there is a difference (sometimes the strength of an ingredient is different, often in terms of percentages). Some products from large manufacturers actually can be cheaper due to the volume produced and sold and some "boutique" products may be expensive due to the overhead to make them and the small lots. Guess it depends and if you are a savvy shopper you will know when its a bargain and when its not using some of the above factors.

11. darelle4

darelle4Member

Threads:
    In most cases the most expensive products are actually the best because of the high demand for it and the brand as well. Most times it is the ability to bring forth results effectively.

12. fancy

fancyMember

Threads:
    I think it depends on the product type, luckiness and desire for quality though I personally believe people are becoming more brand conscious nowadays but considering my views there are a number of miniature things that matter. For instance when I was still in high school I was given $9 to buy a calculator and in the market there was this calculator which had a price tag of $5 while another one was priced at $3. I was a bit sensitive about the quality but still wanting to remain with a few dollars. So I just decided to go for the $3 calculator. After few weeks my brother went for the $5 calculator saying that I was confused as I went for mine. However the embarrassment was in him when his calculator developed issues only a few weeks after the purchase while mine stayed for more than 5 years in use.

13. hytparts

hytpartsNew Member

Threads:
    Of course not. It is just a kind of psychologic thought. For most people, it is a great persue to get the great items with reasonable price. Expensive products can satisfy some people's who like buying something expensive vanity and fear. So it is wrong that all expensive products work well than cheaper ones, although there is some expensive items are really great.

14. jcairns82

jcairns82Member

Threads:
    You can quickly read through the ingredients of the expensive versus cheaper alternatives and determine for yourself, if it's worth the investment for the more expensive one.

A lot of skin care has to do with staying out of the sun, drinking lots of water, and your genetics. You can spend a fortune and still have terrible skin and you can hit up the dollar store and use their hand/body lotion for life and have great skin.

15. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    I find that more expensive products do a lot better thing for my face in terms of moisturiser. The ingredients seem to be of a higher quality and they give better results.

16. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, I know many think high end products are just a more expensive version of the same thing you can find on drugstores, but I don't think that is quite the case... sure, many high end products are not worth the price, some might be even worse than a drugstore alternative, and sure, MANY of them are not worth the hype.
    But I do think many brands are very respectable and find ways to make better products, which causes them to have a little higher price. It's the case with Tarte, for example. Tarte is a vegan cruelty free brand. They make an effort to have eco-friendly products, packaging, have good ingredients on them (like the maracuja and amazonian clay). So yes, I think it's worth it to pay more for them.

17. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    It really depends on the product. Sometimes you get what you pay for with expensive products. Other times, you are wasting your money.

I noticed that cereal has a huge variance between generic and name brands. Some cereals taste the same generic, others taste god awful generic. You just have to experiment with products and listen to recommendations.

18. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I honestly don't think the price matters I have gotten creams and scrubs for my face for a dollar before and they worked great to where is I go maybe a 5 dollar one and it was no where as good as the first one.

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes I do, I think that expensive products do work better than cheap products, because like what they always say, you get what you pay for, right? Most of the time, cheap products are of inferior quality, but not all, since it depends on the product. I've bought cheap earphones from China that's quite durable and of good quality.

20. Joepal

JoepalNew Member

Threads:
    according to me natural products are better then these kinds of expensive skin care product because their is no side effect of these kind of products.