Do Fast-food French Fries 'deflate'?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by mythman • Feb 4, 2015.

1. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Or is that just McDonald's' fries

?

I ask because the other day, I got one of their extra-value meals 'by carryout.' I don't think I took the fries-holster out of the take-out bag, and I let it all sit for a few hours. When I finally DID take the holster out of the bag, it was only about half-full!

I didn't see them fill it this time (my roommate had picked-up the meal for me), but they usually fill the fries-holster to "overflowing" with french-fries (and their training-&-equipment is very conducive to this). Do the fries expand in the heat (to make 'cooling down' sort of "de-flationary"), or should I 'complain' (as much as "half a holster of french fries, weeks-&-weeks ago" would merit)?

2. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    lol...I don't think I'd complain unless I was actually there and saw them underfilling the fry box by a considerable amount. Then maybe. Could your roommate have eaten a few? Hot fries are hard to resist, you know.

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    French fries have an outer shell that traps in the steam of the potatoes inside.. this will inflate them. As they cool, of course they will lose size. There is nothing to complain to them about, unless you want to look nutty blaming them for science lol. Either way, complaining about anything that happened weeks ago would look like a cheap grab at free food.

4. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The thing is, fries are supposed to be eaten straight away. It's no wonder that they went all limp if they'd been left for a few hours.

5. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's certainly possible that you were shortchanged on the fries. While they do deflate I think that they wouldn't deflate so much as to only occupy half the bag.