Do Greenies really help your dog's breath?

Discussion in Pets started by jleadbet • Dec 8, 2012.

1. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    Can anyone recommend a treat brand that will freshen my dog's breath? I had heard the brand Greenies was good, but it's rather expensive, so before I bought any, I wanted to see what other people are using.

2. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    Most dental treats will help your dogs TEETH, keeping htem clean. They will also help their breath temporarily, but it won't solve the problem forever.

3. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Jleadbet, I do remember that you had spoken about your dogs, bad breath in another thread sometime ago.. if this problem persists .. you could rule out a few things before you think of giving him something to reduce bad breath..
    Ensure that your dog does not have kidney or liver problems
    His teeth are clean and he has had a dental check up
    If he eats from the garbage can behind your back
    if he eats raw meat which he is not supposed to stealthily

I know that you asked if greenies help... I have never tried it for my dog as she does not have this problem. But I do give her finely chopped lettuce/ dill in her food once a week..

4. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I have tried Greenies and they didn't really help my dog's breath. My dog is 4 years old and doesn't have really bad breath, but I wanted something that would freshen up his breath when we have guests. I now just put a little peppermint in his water and it does the trick.

5. Libragirl67

Libragirl67Active Member

Threads:
    My dog eats the dentastix, they work very well. We bought the Greenies one time and my dog Nashley did not even like them. So Iam not sure if they would have worked or not. My vet told me that when my dog eats hard dog food that in itself will help get the plaque off his teeth. And in turn that will help his breath to smell better. I do agree with maddie as well. I would make sure that the bad odor is not a warning sign of a possible health issue. If your dog gets regular check ups I would definetly consult your vet about it.