Do Online Travel Agencies Help You Save?

Discussion in Travel started by ExpertAdvice • Jun 22, 2015.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    My wife and I have always loved traveling. It's part of what drew us together, and it really is a connecting factor/shared interest that helps to keep our relationship and marriage exciting!

So, of course, that leads us to want to find the best ways to enjoy what we love doing most, which is--you guessed it!--traveling!

Recently, we've been seeking a lot of advice from friends and fellow "travel-heads" that really seem to have an "inside scoop" on how to get the best deals in all aspects of traveling.

More specifically, we've been considering whether it's cheaper for us to do our travel searches ourselves, including finding the ideal destination, booking rooms, and securing the cheapest airfares.

My question to you in this regard is: do you think it's cheaper for us to do all of this using an online search engine, such as Expedia.com or trivago.com?

Or would it work out to be basically the same difference if we just did it ourselves (ie. "manually").

Let me know! Would prove to be very helpful!

[​IMG]

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It can work out cheaper because you are more flexible and can compare prices. As long as you know what you want that's fine, but you should always double check as some people who book for themselves have booked tickets for the wrong country or city with similar names and that was their own fault, but also they didn't know the airport codes or that other countries may have the same named cities.

You can also use rebate coupons when you book yourself and get airmiles, so there are advantages as long as you double check before you click enter.

3. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    Right now, the only time I think I'd consult an "expert" in travel to help me save money would be with planning a trip to Disney. Otherwise, I think the Internet has too many free options of doing the "travel agent" thing yourself, saving as much money as you would with an expert, and still planning a phenomenal trip.

We simply do not live in a time that requires travel agents anymore. Too much info is out there and offered completely free. I don't even support those discount travel clubs that claim to get you the best rates on their properties. I mean, sure, certain hotel clubs (like Mariott) definitely make joining worth it for those who travel a lot, but then there are those side agencies that have you pay a one time fee to "join" and then all they offer are basically the same discounts you can find yourself, online, with a little research.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Travel agents are good for packages like cruises, safaris or round the world trips. I tried to book a multi-trip online and it can be easier in person as a change in route can save you money or with a different airline.

Travel agents are struggling and most only deal in resort or package holidays for families or all-inclusives now as they get more commission. They get very little on flight only bookings.

5. rightct

rightctActive Member

Threads:
    I've only had bad experiences with online travel agencies!!! Everywhere I went to ask some pretty basic guidelines concerning how I could save up some money for auxiliary expenses (expenses other than traveling itself), I was fed up with phrases like:"Wouldn't you like more to have a platinum package at half its original price?". No, I don't want to! But they didn't seem to care. I felt like I was talking to robots, haha.

6. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I save a heck of a lot of money buying train and coach tickets online. I can easily save 50% any day of the week buying coach tickets online rather than at the coach booth. And I can save anything up to 200% on train tickets. Just the other day I booked two tickets to Seaford and back for a total of £20. If I booked them at the train station it would have been £120!

7. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In our last 4 trips or so, we get accommodation from online agencies. They give good prices and there are online bookings that do not require deposits. We have a trip to Singapore in November and at this early I am already searching for a good hotel. Online booking is good as per my experience so that's now our standard way of getting accommodations for our trips abroad.

8. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do my hostel and tour bookings online and yes, to some extent, the convenient system - not necessarily travel agencies - has saved me a lot of money. For instance, there's this great site I discovered last March, Getyourguide.com, and I highly recommend it to everyone who wants to travel (alone or in groups). They offer custom or pre-assembled tour packages for an affordable rate. A few months ago, I booked a three-day Mekong River tour in Vietnam for only $75. The package already included breakfast, lunch, transportation and hotel accommodations for two nights. It was definitely worth it. Getyourguide.com actually partners with various travel agencies so depending on where you intend to go, a specific agency will handle your tour.