Do people still listen to classical music

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by SpringBreeze • Dec 18, 2013.

1. SpringBreeze

SpringBreezeActive Member

Threads:
    I used to play the piano when I was younger. And my mom made sure I attended classical music performances. Because of her, I developed an appreciation for certain classical composers like Chopin.

When I was a kid, it felt like more people listened to classical music. What do you think? Has classical music popularity dropped in the last 10 to 20 years?

2. XxMotleyCrueXx

XxMotleyCrueXxNew Member

Threads:
    I do think the percentage of people that listen to classical music has dropped most people nowadays seem to be listening to Justin Beiber or some garbage like that.

3. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I only listen to old songs from 70's to the 90's so are these considered as classics. I dislike and never listen to any of the modern songs. What's a Justin Bieber? :D I don't understand why so many people like to listen to him and that Miley Cyrus thing.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't think it will ever go away, and I don't think it's any less popular nowadays than it was back then. More people are still discovering it everyday online, no matter how much it seems like the internet only being used to find and support pop music, and orchestra-based musical scores are often still being used in movies and TV shows enough to let the younger generation know that this still exists and is indeed beautiful. I myself listen to it, still, especially in the mornings or when I'm really in the mood for it.

5. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    With everything that has always come and gone. You will see a reemergence of classical music in the near future. Though, it may be one of those things that are just huge for one year. I mean take Adele and her huge year and now I see little promotion of her in the states. I guess real musical talent is something not liken to in today's world.

6. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I still listen to classical music, which I usually listen to Celtic Woman. They had a concert that's aired on TV a few years ago, which I believe it was on the PBS channel. That was how I got into classical music because they're just so relaxed and the lyrics are easy to listen to. Celtic Woman have very soft voices, which makes the music quite good.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think so, because today's popular music is all about pop, rock, rap and RnB, and it's more appealing to the ears of kids nowadays as compared to classical music, so I definitely think that its popularity has dropped. It may have a fanbase, but it's only in small numbers.

8. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    There are so many weird genres and sub genres of sub genres now. People are listening to everything but I don't personally know anyone who likes the same music as me. I started playing piano and studying music a long time ago and my taste of music has become very narrow. I mainly like Bach, Beethoven, Schoenberg but not everything by them. Some of my favorite pieces that I love now were either boring or incomprehensible on first listen but as I replayed them they became understandable to me. A lot of popular songs are designed to get stuck in your head and are easy to understand the first time your hear them but they have little depth. I think classical music requires more patience and maybe some musical knowledge if you want to really enjoy it.

#8Feb 25, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2014