Do People Who Travel A Lot Learn A Lot?

Discussion in Travel started by Denis Hard • Apr 9, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    And oney spent on travel we can make the assumption has been well spent? In addition to all the fun, you actually get to learn something?

I stumbled into this quote "The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." and realized that most people who travel actually never get to learn anything new because they'll be hanging with tourists who are probably from the same country they are from.

Anyway, for those of you who love traveling, have you ever learned something new abroad?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There is a difference between a traveler and a tourist. A tourist wants to get away and see sights or relax on the beach; a traveler goes to explore a culture and another place.

I have learned a lot from traveling, but more about myself and what I can do. It has taught me you can plan, but if things don't go according to plan, it's okay and to take a chance and meet new people. I've met a few crazies, but also made some great friends and done things outside of my comfort zone. My appreciation of how other cultures live has changed my outlook on life too.

3. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    Well they say that travels broadens people's horizons, so I guess it's true.

One of the best ways to learn about a specific place is definitely to go there, while these days it's pretty easy to learn about anything on the internet, you only get a proper feel for a place if you've actually been there yourself.

4. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, I love traveling to a historical place. Before I travel I will do some research what will be the best place to visit I make some note about the history of that place. So that at the time when I already in that place I can recall or imagine what will be the situation during that event.

5. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I like to think I've learned a lot on my travels. Different types of travel has taught me entirely different things - whether as a tourist, a business traveler or a backpacker. I've done quite a lot of all of them, and each one has exposed me to different experiences in different countries, whether it's about myself or about the place.

For example, going on a business trip has allowed me to touch a high-end world that I would never normally experience, whether that's simply being taken to crazily expensive restaurants by my foreign hosts. Backpacking is a whole other ball game. All these experiences count.

6. worldmachine

worldmachineActive Member

Threads:
    People who travel a lot must learn a great deal but whether what they learn is any use in their everyday lives is another matter. Learning about and mixing with other cultures may make someone a better person, they may learn to relate to people better and adapt to different environments better. A person may see many different sites and visit many different countries but not necessarily take anything of particular value away from it.

I think it largely depends on the individual, if they are receptive to learning from their experiences and embracing new cultures and different ways of thinking they will gain a lot of useful knowledge. If a person has fixed views on the world and is not open to change they will not benefit in the same way.

7. lefttowrite

lefttowriteNew Member

Threads:
    The Earth is huge, and if we box ourselves in a city or specific region for our entire lives, we don't experience it all.

It's impossible to see the entire world, but to be ignorant to the outside is blasphemous. I've been to countries much richer than my current nation of Canada, and others on the range of undeveloped. We learn more about other cultures, and it is our opportunity to take from the experiences and apply them to our daily lives to better ourselves. North American countries, in some places, are filled with greed and corruption of inner-self. When we take time to view the less developed countries and the content people of the region, it makes us feel more grateful. Atleast for me. So traveling does help you learn, whether it's culture in cuisine, religion, spirituality or history. The educational opportunities of travelling are endless.

8. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You learn as much as you want to. When I went to a foreign country just for a music festival, for example, I didn't learn anything beyond the look of the city. If I went there to look for the culture and stuff though, I would have learned more.

9. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As somebody who has not traveled much in life, and knows people who have, I would have to say that the more you travel the more you learn. You pick up cultural cues, and just learn a lot about the world and how it works. Something as simple as how certain government systems work in different countries, citizenship and all of that. Whereas when I travel, which happens rarely, I never know what the hell I'm supposed to do in certain situations lol. I am usually with someone who has traveled before, and knows the procedure.

So yes, I think that the opportunity to learn may be greater for a traveler rather than for someone who does not travel.