Do supermarkets rip off buyers with their own products?

Discussion in Online Shopping started by Denis Hard • Apr 30, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wondered why some of the products could be cheaper than big brand products but after doing some digging realized that they just pay for a generic product which could be a lot cheaper, slap their brand name on it and hike up the price to make it appear somewhat superior to other generic products.

Should we stop buying products which are purportedly made by the supermarket and go for cheaper versions since it's from that pool they get the products they sell to us by making us think that they're of a higher quality?

#1Apr 30, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  2. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    it is no mystery how much supermarkets profit, they can pretty much ask whatever price they want from their products, specially the big chains. They choose which brands they want to buy, in which aisle and section they want to place products and whatever price they want to put. We are left with no choice but to buy the product at the price they ask for, so they overprice every thing, and consequently overprofit everything! !

3. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    The only resolution I can come up with is to learn you store's coupon policy. In some places, a person can buy as many of one item with one coupon. In some cases,shoppers can get money back with careful planning.

4. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarieActive Member

Threads:
    Well the supermarket brands tend to be far more cheaper from the brand name products from what I can tell. Generic brands are the cheapest and are pretty much the same thing as the supermarket brands. If I am going to be cheap and not get the brand name product than I will get the cheapest generic brand. I do not care about a supermarket brand.

5. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Exactly. And in my stores, supermarket brands tend to go on sale more often, too, so it's not uncommon for them to be even cheaper than the other generic brand options. I have never seen them actually more expensive than the generics anyway, though....they're usually about the same and taste the same.

6. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I find that for the most part that generic (or knock off brands) can be just as good as the name brand. Why pay all the extra money if don't need to? Yet there are some name brand items that to me do taste better and will only brand those brands of.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Over here, the supermarket brands are always cheaper than the branded items, so that's a poor marketing strategy for the supermarket company if they will price their product higher than the branded ones, because people will go for the branded ones instead. I'm not in charge of doing the grocery, so it's been a while since I tasted supermarket brands, but as far as I can remember, they taste the same as the branded ones.

8. pklatonja

pklatonjaNew Member

Threads:
    Generic brands do need a bit of experimenting to find the best one, but they are cheap. Supermarket brands are usually cheaper than big brands but have the quality of the generic ones, and the price more expensive than the generic ones, so really I don't get the logic of buying supermarket brands.

9. Neperon

NeperonActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah sometimes they really like pisses you off lol,But yeah its better not to give those products much importance and concentrating on the ones that suits you and remains good for you because that is what suits us the most. Finally that is what works so most of the times its is the reason.