Do we really need to spend that much money on body products?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Dora M • Jul 15, 2014.

1. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I add up the cost of hair shampoos, conditioners, face creams and body lotions, soaps and shower gels, etc. I realise that it is a lot of money, and that some of it I could spend on other things. Is it really necessary to have all these products, or could we just do what our grandparents did, namely using simple soap and olive oil for most of our bodily needs?
    How about bicarbonate of soda for our teeth and some essential oil as a perfume?

2. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that woman tend to spend a lot more on body products than men. For example, I use shampoo, shower gel, deodorant and that's pretty much it, so it's no so much. My wife does have a whole lot more products, also because woman have longer hair usually and other needs men don't, but yeah, from the cost perspective we could simply cut on some of those products.

3. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I honestly think a lot of it isn't necessary. There are a few products I have to have though. I have shampoo, soap, deodorant, witch hazel, and lotion. Some of those are just obvious you need soaps. However, I use the witch hazel for my face. I have naturally oily skin and it tends to break out. The witch hazel helps with the oil and keeps me from breaking out. Which is great. The lotion is nothing fancy. It is just the $3 lotion from Walmart. But I tend to get really dry skin on my legs and feet, so I use it instead of having dry itchy skin. Other than that I really don't use any other products. I'm odd for a woman I guess, very low maintenance.

4. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I don't spend that much on body products. I get shampoos, conditioners, body lotions, face cream and etc. However, I get bargains for these products at my local store. I don't get brand name products because the prices are well outside of my budget. I never had an affinity for perfume. Fragrances always gave me a headache. In the end I think it is about budgeting and finding deals that fit within your budget. Also, when I do buy body products I get them in bulk to where I don't have to go back to the store for the same items frequently.

5. davbopol13

davbopol13Active Member

Threads:
    I have very oily skin and had no idea that I could help control it with witch hazel! I will be getting this asap. I don't wear makeup so I don't have to have a lot of products. I had the worst skin in high school, but it cleared up in adulthood. I hardly ever wear makeup and I have had people say that they love my makeup when I'm not wearing any! This made me think I should stop wearing altogether.

6. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I really don't spend that much on those types of body products actually.

I do buy shampoo and conditioner....but my shampoo is cheap and both of them end up lasting me at least a couple months. I think some people use more than their hair needs. My body wash lasts me even longer. I use a loofah instead of a washcloth so only need a dime-size dollop for my whole body. I also use it instead of shaving cream, so no spending on that.

7. Shoplady

ShopladyMember

Threads:
    I am guilty of spending way more than is necessary on bath and beauty products. Buying this stuff is like a little treat for me and I find it a lot of fun to try different products, especially nice smelling soaps and body washes. I don't think it is needed though, really all I NEED is a bar of ivory soap, shampoo and conditioner.

However, my bathroom is full of clutter because I just can't resist buying this stuff! When I was younger I did some experiments with making my own bath products and makeups, and it was a lot of fun. I am thinking of picking this hobby up again because it makes great gifts and keeps me from spending money on more stuff I don't need just because it's tempting.

8. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We all probably spend too much on these products. As far as beauty products are concerned, I use shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, and a couple others. That might not seem like much, but I have a preference for specific brands, and they're not exactly budget brands, so I spend a decent amount of money on these items annually.

I don't see any harm in using the products we like, though. It might cost a lot of money, but it's better to use something that you like instead of a product that you can't stand just to save money, right?

9. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I find that the inexpensive stuff works just as well for me really. I honestly don't like to spend more money than I have to and there is a dollar store lotion that I swear by and to wash my face I use baking soda instead of a more expensive astringent.

10. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Naturally we don't, but with all the pollution surrounding us these days, I think we should to protect ourselves. One example is buying and using sunscreens. It's not just out of vanity, it's really for the protection of the body. But if you are spending that much just for vanity, then I don't think it's not necessary to spend too much on buying body products.

11. Forall

ForallMember

Threads:
    I just use shampoo and conditioner.

Women could require a lot more stuff if they have long hair.
    And it also depends on one's habits, etc.

12. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I think most women spend too much on body products. It's mainly because we're bombarded with media from the time we're little girls as to how we should smell, feel and look. What I started doing some time ago is shopping at drug stores and the Dollar Tree for shampoo and shower gels. You can get the same stuff for half or more off at either of these places. You don't pay a lot extra for a name brand.

Can you believe this body wash costs $27?

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that we can do without lotions, face creams, and conditioners, but I think that shampoos, soaps and toothpaste are a necessity. I noticed that if a person is simple in general, then he or she will not be buying unnecessary beauty products, but if a person is fussy about skin care or a metrosexual, then for sure you can count on them to buy more than what is needed as far as beauty products are concerned.