Do you always include a ham in your Christmas dinner?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by True2marie • Dec 19, 2013.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    For Christmas, I do not always cook a ham. Sometimes, I either exclude it for financial reasons or would rather have turkey. I have also heard of people who don't eat pork having roasted chicken.

Do you always include a ham in your Christmas dinner?

[​IMG]

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    We do have ham, but it's usually just from gifts we receive prior to the big day, and we rarely reserve it to serve on Christmas. Usually, we'd serve the ham during the days leading up to the 25th, since there will be plenty of other food to serve on the day itself anyway. I'm alright with it, since it's not really my most favorite dish ever anyway, but if I had to pick I'd choose ham or roast chicken over turkey.

3. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I love to include ham in my Christmas dinner it kinda like a tradition for my family. My kids for some reason look forward for the ham I think maybe it because I base it in brown sugar and pineapples. I myself cant eat the ham because of high blood pressure but it looks and smell really good upon completion of cooking. I think the ham is as important as the turkey on thanksgiving and Christmas.

4. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    Is ham the traditional Christmas dish?

I never do ham. I grew up eating duck on Christmas, and since then, I've not started any traditions with my own family. We've done turkey, prime rib, really good steaks, or just a beef roast, typically. To be honest, I don't want the cooking part to be a stress, but I do want something "comfort food" and savory. Since having kids, we try to always be home for Christmas, and twice we've been invited to someone's house just for dinner, which is always nice and easy.

We also tend to do something nice for Christmas Eve dinner - that is sort of my husband's thing.

5. jbepp

jbeppMember

Threads:
    My family always includes ham as part of the Christmas dinner. It's delicious and everyone love so they just keep buying it. We also love to eat turkey.

6. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Never. I've never been a fan and I also didn't find it Christmassy for some reasons, even though I know many people eat ham for Christmas dinner. I have no idea why lol. I've always always had turkey for Christmas and Thanksgiving. It's especially yummy now that we're buying them from a local farm. Absolutely delicious. Nothing compares to clean meat, I can't wait to dig in.

My kids like ham, so I was thinking of including it with this years dinner for the first time. I'll still have my turkey though, there's no getting around that lol.

7. SpringBreeze

SpringBreezeActive Member

Threads:
    Oo, the ham in the picture looks yummy!!! :)

I do include ham in my Christmas dinners. Years ago, I used to buy my hams from Honey Baked Ham. I love the taste of their hams. But now, my Christmas hams are either cooked by me or someone else in the family. And I will admit they are nowhere near as good. But they sure are cheaper.

We usually have both ham, turkey, fried pork, and chicken for Christmas.

8. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    No, I don't usually include ham in my Christmas dinner unless I make fried rice with ham. I usually try to no include ham in my Christmas dinner because my parents and I usually go to the Chinese restaurant for dinner. We hardly stay home and cook at home on Christmas night because going to eat out is our tradition. I can't remember the last time I have ham, which I think it was probably 9 years ago.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends, but we usually take it out of the box and serve it on Noche Buena. We just usually eat it as a sandwhich filling.

10. bigboss25

bigboss25New Member

Threads:
    On Christmas I eat ham, dressing and macaroni and cheese.

My Christmas meals are close to the same thing that we ate on thanksgiving.

From now on, on Christmas I wouldn't mind eating steaks and baked potatoes.

For my household, I think it would be best to eat the ham, turkey and dressing on thanksgiving only to avoid getting burned out on it.

11. randee555

randee555Active Member

Threads:
    As a kid, we always had ham and turkey for thanksgiving and Christmas. As an adult, we decided to change that tradition. So now we have ham and turkey on thanksgiving and on Christmas, we do what we call "freestyle". It just pretty much means we will fix whatever it is that we have a taste for and not traditional dinner.

12. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    YES! We always have ham for Christmas. This and spaghetti. These will not be absent on the dinner table.