Do you ask for a raincheck?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by ChanellG • Dec 30, 2014.

1. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I get really frustrated when I spend time pouring over store ads making out my list and planning what to buy, only to arrive at a store and find out the item not only isn't in stock, but the store location never received the item to begin with. That is so annoying! Recently I went to two different stores to get something and one of the store associates suggested I get a rain check. I had totally forgotten about doing that!

I did get the raincheck and had forgotten about it until I walked past the item I wanted on display a week or so later. I have to remember to start asking for rainchecks more often.

2. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh, I hate that too, especially if I had to drive a long way to get to the store (as is the case with most stores around here). I don't want to have to come back. I want what was promised, and what I drove all the way there to get. I will take a raincheck if I think to ask for one, but it still annoys me to have to go all the way back another time. This is especially true if you get there right when the sale is supposed to start and they don't have the item. That's kind of sketchy, so yeah, I'm asking for a raincheck (though like you, sometimes I just don't think of it, so thanks for the reminder).

3. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have to say that I never give store ads a second glance. It never occurs to me to shop in that way, even though it makes perfect sense if you want to save money.
    To be honest, I don't even know exactly what a rain check is. I guess, it's checking beforehand if an item is available before going to a store. Please enlighten me on the subject, as I haven't got a clue. :)

4. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    A raincheck is a slip of paper you get when the advertised sale item(s) you wanted to purchase are out of stock. It allows you to return to the store later when the item is in stock again - usually when the sale is over, and still purchase the item at the discounted price. The word is also used to refer to an appointment that you can't keep - is something comes up when and you can't meet a friend as arranged, you could ask for a raincheck to meet again.

5. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Having that happen at a store that's out of the way is even worse! If you've driven more than a few miles you don't want to be inconvenienced and you certainly don't want to have to go back. I try to do all my errands in the same area at one time so making a special trip to go back someplace I wasn't planning on going to is a real pain, not to mention the gas!

6. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I do ask for a raincheck. I don't like to get my effort and my time to waste, and some gas or money for fare. If they don't have it, then I'd go somewhere else or some time when they already have it. I really hate it when it happens that the only thing that I've went out for to buy isn't available because there are a lot of things that I do always. It's just not fair that my plans would turn out fruitless.

7. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I don't like having my time wasted at all. If I have made a special trip to get something special, I would likely be excited to get the item as well as at the better price. If it isn't there when I arrive, it's a big let down, especially if it is something I really need to have. For small things I don't get annoyed unless I have a list of things I wanted to get and none of them are in the store.

8. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, this is pretty awesome! I never even knew that this existed. I thought "raincheck" was a term that was only used when you want to reschedule a date. I think I will try this out the next time I go shopping for some clothes or something. I hope that it works with clothing and it's not just only for food or something like that. That wouldn't be as cool.

9. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I have never heard of a clothing store offering a raincheck. If you were hoping to purchase a clothing item like a sweatshirt from a place that also sold some clothing items like a Walgreen's or CVS, you might be able to get a raincheck, but not all places offer them, and not all products are eligible for a raincheck. Some stores have their policy noted in their ads though, so it should be fairly easy to find out.