Do You Avoid Certain Aisles At The Supermarket To Save Money?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by cocolgooh • Feb 29, 2016.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I do this because I know if I go down certain aisles I'm more likely to buy something I didn't intend to buy when I entered the store. I typically find that if I don't need pet food and go down the pet food aisle I'll end up buying something for them anyway. I also end up picking up extra toilet paper, kitchen paper and cleaning supplies if I go down those aisles. I also tend to end up picking up extra fruit and vegetables if I go down those aisles, or down sections of the aisles I don't usually look at.

Oddly enough, I don't tend to get so distracted by candy or potato chips or the typical junk foods. I only get those if I intended to when I went into the store.

Are there any products you end up buying more of or buying impulsively if you go down those aisles at the store? And do you subsequently avoid those aisles to try to save yourself some money?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never mind walking around the supermarket taking a look at the prices of things I might want to buy the next time I visit the store. It's not that my willpower is too strong that I can't buy anything that isn't on my shopping list. One trick I use to stop me from buying anything I didn't plan to is taking only enough cash to buy what's on my shopping list.

If you shop with a debit or credit card, I think it's always a good idea to avoid some aisles.

3. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    This is one of the main reasons - why I always organize my shopping list according to store layout and aisles - as not only does it save money - but a huge amount of time too - particularly as - by avoiding the areas of the store and the aisles that don't stock anything that I want to buy - it makes my shopping trip a whole lot quicker and negates the possibility of being enticed into buying something that is not on my list.

In fact the only thing that throws me occasionally - is when the grocery store changes their layout - which mine seems to do quite regularly - fortunately though - although a little annoying as it makes my shopping trip take a little longer than normal - it doesn't entice me into buying anything that isn't on my list - as I have a rule that I adhere to - where I will always only buy what is actually needed.

4. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    I will try to stick to my grocery list while grocery shopping, and in doing so I usually skip the grocery store aisles that do not have any of the items on my list. I have found that by not going through each aisle, I am not tempted to add more sale items to my cart. In the past, I have inpulsively bought reduced meat, cheese, and bread, usually marked down because it is close to thr sell-by date, even if I do not need these items.

Skipping the impulse buys is much more easily done when I am shopping alone. When I grocery shop with my husband, random items that were not on our list magically appear in our cart.

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use a list and skip impulse purchases when I am on a strict budget. I make my menu so I know what I really need to purchase. If I see great buys on items I know I will need soon I will get them. I don't get tempted by the goodies because I make my own.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have self control, so I have no problem passing by those "vulnerable" aisles, since I will only buy one if I wanted to and if my budget allows me to. I can just look as well in the junk food area and just buy the cheapest junk food available just to satisfy my cravings.