Do you bathe your dog or have your dog professionally groomed?

Discussion in Pets started by MrsJones • Jan 11, 2015.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I have always enjoyed bathing my dogs and have never considered having any of them groomed. I loved to see how skinny they look when their hair was all wet and then watch them Wiggle down to their tail's end. I would though get the best dog shampoo that I could afford for them as well as other grooming supplies. I always thought that it was a time that my dog could learn to trust me because they always seem to want to run from you when it's bath time.

2. GoldenWing

GoldenWingMember

Threads:
    Yeah, dogs doesn't seem to like very much to get bathed, specially if they don't trust you fully yet. It may take some time.

Once I have a dog I'll bathe them myself, I think it can help to bond in some way. Not sure about shampoo brands or anything yet, once I adopt the dog I'll think of those matters.

3. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, of course. I consider it really necessary to have him groomed and bathed regularly. It may not be everyday, but I make sure that he gets at least 3 bathes a week and groomed at least twice a month, every 2 weeks. It's important for me, very important, to have my dog to remain hygienic because I cuddle and play with him. If he's not hygienic enough then not only he isn't same from being unhealthy, but also I.

4. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I have had dogs all my life, but to be honest we have never bathe them or had them groomed. But then my dogs have always been outdoor dogs. When a dog resides outside they don't require the maintenance that most indoor dogs do. I guess when it rains my dogs get a shower. I know that sounds silly but the truth be told that is about the only way they do bathe. But both my dogs seem to have a healthy shiny coat so they seem to know how to keep themselves clean, as most of my dogs have in the past. I guess its part of a dogs natural instinct as it is with a cat.

5. Birmingham

BirminghamNew Member

Threads:
    Bath's at Home for the little ones, Bath's at the vet's for the Big One.

I have many French Bulldogs, and they all fit into a utility sink, which makes bathing easier. I don't have to do the bathtub bend over, and hurry through to avoid the back pain. French Bulldogs have short hair, so it's easier to maintain. No haircuts or trimming to speak of. Just good warm water and good shampoo that matches the skin needs or issues they may be having. I don't bathe them often, their skin oils actually keep their hair clean, and their skin healthy.

I also have a Great Pyrenees and she goes to the vet for her summer hair cut and a bath. I tried grooming her last year, and it was a 6 hour project, just to give her the haircut/shave. Midway, I had to leave and go get another blade. So she will be returning to the vet this summer. It's worth the $100-$120 to have them tackle it and clean up the bags of hair that come off of her.

6. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We just bathe them ourselves. It's too much of an expense to take them to the groomer's all the time. I should really bathe them more often but I try to when I get a chance. I think it would be good to take Lily to the groomer's because sometimes she has mats but they're not too bad.

7. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I just bathe my dog myself. I don't have any problem when it comes to that as my dog loves our bathing session. He is a well-behaved dog and doesn't makes unnecessary moves. The best part is the drying of the coat. He really loves it when I combed his coat and use a hair dryer that sometimes he just fell asleep.

I sometimes treat my dog by having him professionally groomed usually on his birthday and during Christmas.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We only give our pets baths, they were never groomed by a professional, even if we used to have a Cocker Spaniel before. The money that will be spent on grooming would be better spent on their food, bath and anti-flea products.

9. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I have a doodle so we use a professional groomer. I've learned to maintain his cut and keep him well brushed out so sometimes we can stretch the time between groomer visits if money is tight. I can clip his nails too but I only attempt a bath if his coat is fairly short or if he took a swim and was already wet anyway (he's jumped into streams and puddles and likes to retrieve thrown items from lakes). Otherwise he takes a VERY long time (and a LOT of electricity) to blowdry that coat, hand fluffing each bit. The funny part is that he seems to enjoy the blow drying process.

10. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    We have a dog that we wash and groom ourselves. It's hardwork because our dog is so energetic and he often wiggles when we give him a bath. However, bathing our dog is definitely worth it because we can show him how much we love him. And believe it or not, we feel that he loves it when we're the ones who wash him. My mom is the one who's grooming Hachi(name of our dog) at the moment but she plans on getting him groomed by a professional so that he'll look better.