Do you Believe in Paying More for a Brand?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by YoungNThrifty • Aug 11, 2012.

1. YoungNThrifty

YoungNThriftyNew Member

Threads:
    It seems like a lot of people nowadays are choosing their clothes based on the brand instead of based on how the clothes actually look. Am I alone in believing this is the case?

The other thing I'm wondering is if certain brands being on your clothes will make you willing to pay more for your clothes. Is that the case for anyone? Or is everyone here as against this as I am?

2. fishyfinz

fishyfinzMember

Threads:
    Everyone wants to be fashionable and show off brands. I personally think that if you want to buy branded stuff, you should be prepared to pay for it. There are lots of shops which imitate big fashion brands and you end up paying less than half the price that you would otherwise spend at a branded store. The downside of buying imitations is that they may not be as long lasting or of as good quality; but then again if you're someone who wants to keep up with the latest trends and can do that at a low price, why not? :p

3. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Depends on what I'm buying. For clothes, absolutely not. I rather buy a knockoff or an unbranded item rather than paying for a stupid tag. It's the same quality and no one can tell the difference.

Now for more expensive things, like electronics or even my guitar equipment, then I usually go by the brand.

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like brand name clothes, but not for the brand name. I find that brand are made with better fabric, sown better and fit better. I find that off brand clothes are crooked hems, stray thread and are made with really thin material. They often don't last after a few washings or they develop those "fuzzy fabric balls."

5. miapass

miapassNew Member

Threads:
    guitar-Jordan

I totally agree with this user. I am also a guitarist and cheap equipment just doesn't cut it. This kind of thing seems to depend on a persons area of interest. People who are interested in fashion will spend more on clothes and could probably tell the difference between a knockoff easily. Musicians know their instruments so they spend more money on the better equipment.

I have never spent much money on clothes. Though I did have to buy my girl friend one hundred and thirty-five dollar sneakers. These were Jordan sneakers, I couldn't believe they were that much. I must say at the very least they did look snazzy.

6. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    Brand is not important when I am purchasing clothes. I tend to find a lot of bargains online and at thrifts stores and I am frugal when purchasing clothing. As long as the clothes fit well and looks great I would buy it. I have never really purchase any brand name clothing and I only splurge on electronics and recording equipment. I am in a r&b band so I would spend lots of money on proper equipment for the band. I have saved a ton of money shopping for clothing online at such sites as 10dollarmall.com (right now they have sale on shirts for 7.99 and they sell plus sizes as well as regular size clothing), forever21.com (I tend to purchase clothing when they have their BOGO special), and 599fashions.com (its great that most items on this site does not cost more than $5.99).

7. dhintaka

dhintakaMember

Threads:
    I absolutely agree . Its only electronics that I would not try picking up from anywhere. Specifically, because I am not a very technical person. I would not really know what's missing so I feel that to play safe, the best is to go by brand.

8. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    There are only certain brands I would spend extra money for, and that's only because I know those brands are quality, not because I want to show them off. I'd rather buy brand name shoes, for example, at somewhere like DSW because the cheap ones they sell in local shops fall apart in a few months.

9. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I've never been one for brand names - price and quality are much more important. It's possible to buy good quality clothes at very reasonable prices, and conversely, I've seen branded names with very poor finishing. I may pick up a branded name from a second hand shop or an outlet, but it's never an option for general clothes shopping.

10. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    I'm one who never really -cared- for brands at all. All my clothes are from cheap, generic clothes shops that sell clothes for cheap prices - yet they still look awesome. It's not about the brand, in my opinion. It's about how you carry yourself with whatever you're wearing that matters.

11. melapie

melapieActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really care for brands, if I like something and it fits me good then I'll buy it. That's regardless of it's branded or not. But lately, I've been drawn to buying clothes with no brands because I can stretch my dollar and buy lots of stuff.

12. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    I believe that you get what you pay for so I certainly believe in purchasing with brand names. However, if you want to be practical these days; there are ways to find or buy items that won't need to hurt your budget but still could be in great quality just don't expect too much from them. I hardly buy branded items but when it comes to shoes, I kind of felt the need to do so.

13. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    There are cases where the most expensive brand is directly related to higher quality. Generally this is often the rule, and there are very few exceptions. Of course there are also imitations that are of very good quality. The brand, as a concept, is a marketing scam, is the manifestation of capitalism in fashion. However, in many cases it isn't worth spending a little more money, because the quality difference is not noticeable. There are many people who only wears designer clothes and found his style in a matter purely superficial. I believe that anyone who has money can do whatever you want with it, provided that privileges taste and common sense.

14. Alaska7

Alaska7Member

Threads:
    I don't think brand is important at all. Most of my clothes have no visible labels or symbols anywhere on them, and I doubt anything about them is noticeable enough for someone to distinguish between brands. Of course, it's easier for me, being a rather simply dressed guy :).

15. MamaWolfe

MamaWolfeNew Member

Threads:
    This is exactly what I was going to say, and particularly when it comes to kids clothes (yes, I know, that is crazy). A couple of my children in particular seem to stay in the same size for a couple years at a time, so I want to find things they will be able to wear all season with their rough and tumble play and possibly again the next. I have just found that buying name brands hold up the best, as well as fit them the best.

EDA: I don't necessarily like brand names being obvious on clothes. Something small, like the Ralph Lauren polo horse, is fine, but I don't want a name across the shirt.

16. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I always look for the best price possible. I do go for certain brands, but if another brand has something cheaper for the same thing then I'll opt for that one. So far, other than pants, the best place to go for sweaters and shirts that provide good quality and affordable price is Lands' End. The other day I found the cheapest pair of pants I've seen in a long time: $20 for a pair of Khakis at Winners.

17. jamesco

jamescoNew Member

Threads:
    I dont believe, i believe, if i can have it with cheaper money,i will take it,no matter where it is? last time i brought a Hermes belt from pinsbag.com .before i buy it they told me it is replica belt,not real Hermes belt,i tell them thanks guys,i just need a

it is cheaper just $99 and it looks like the real belt,even my sister can not tell (she is a Hermes fashion designer,lol) so what do you thinks, need to see my Hermes belt,check pinsbag.com they have plenty of them, sure you will have your own.if any of you buy from them.let me know,i want them give me AD reword , i post an ad to them here,lol just kidding.

18. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I do not like brand name clothing. That being said, buying the cheapest clothes usually means really cheap quality ones, too. Like... if you buy from Walmart, a lot of those clothes will fall apart after the first washing or two. That doesn't mean I'm going to run out and buy really super expensive clothes either, though.

19. Vadim

VadimNew Member

Threads:
    I think it's not all about the brand. But if there's something by say... Zara that looks good and has the brand name clearly visible.. why not get it? You're wearing something that looks good on you and at the same time you're going along with fashion and people see that you're wearing clothing by a reputable brand.

20. iampeebs

iampeebsMember

Threads:
    I generally don't buy for the brand but buy for the quality and style. I find the expensive jeans, just fit and look better on me. I wouldn't say I was buying these for the brand, but what for what the brand offers. I also, rarely pay retail and buy when their is a big sale or get at the thrift store.