Do You Believe That It Is Wise To Purchase Used Tyres

Discussion in Misc & Others started by explorerx7 • Mar 9, 2016.

1. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    It is reported that there is a booming used tyre market in the United States at the moment. People are inclined to purchase this type of tyre because of various reasons:
    The tyre may appear to be in an excellent condition
    The buyer may be on a tight budget
    The buyer may only require the tyre for a short period of time
    The tyre is required to be used as a spare
    The apperance of a bargain .
    It's is feared by some people that are not there is a considerable amout of danger associated with buying used tyres because sometimes a unxeperienced person may not easily be able to spot possible flaws by merely looking at the tyre. What is your view on this matter?

2. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I own a utility vehicle business and I would sometimes buy recapped used tires for use as spare and as replacement for the back tires. I save at least 2/3 to 1/2 off brand new tires. Prices of recapped tires vary depending on the source with those from China coming off, as usual, as cheaper options. The recapped tires last almost as long as brand new ones. Certainly, I am not an expert on tires, but my driver and my brother are so I never buy tires without them.

3. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I would consider used tyres for the short term if I am facing budgetary constraints. However, I would be willing to pay for an inspection to ascertain that the tyre is not flawed. I have come to operate from the premise that cheap is expensive through a variety of experiences in life. But in some cases, second hand tyres in good condition despite the mileage they have covered means that they are of good quality.

4. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that it depends on how much you drive, and how far you drive, and also the kinds of roads that you drive on. I live in town, I never drive very far, and not out on the highway at all; so used tires are an excellent choice for someone like myself.
    My oldest son, on the other hand, often drives long distances with his car, and his truck is a 4x4 that he takes up into the mountains to go camping and fishing. It is important for him to have very good tires on both of his vehicles.
    So, this is one of those things that not one answer is right for everyone. You need to consider your driving habits, and also how safe you will be if a tire blows out. In town, it is not too dangerous; but if you are driving down the 5-lane freeway when a tire blows out, you can end up in a huge pileup and maybe dead.
    In that case, it is well worth it to spend the extra money to have new tires that are more apt to keep you safe.

5. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer to go with new if possible, but I have also purchased used tires on more than one occasion over the years. New ones are very expensive (although sometimes there are good deals or rebates, so be sure to check it out before deciding).

If you have a shop that you trust, purchasing used is worth considering. You should still inspect each tire carefully. I wouldn't buy if there are obvious signs of damage or patching or if there is hardly any tread left.

Ask if the shop offers any kind of warranty. It's possible if they are newer ones. They might also offer their own type of warranty (replacement if it doesn't last X amount of time, etc.).

It's also usually a good idea to see if they need to balanced. Many people also prefer to put used ones on the back.

6. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I would only purchase a used tire if it's significantly cheaper and I'm on a tight budget. I always prefer to buy everything new but most of the times, the used tires I purchase last until it deflated due to nails left on the road. I've never had a used tire go out on me just because of its condition.

As long as I can remember, I've only purchased a new tire once or twice in my whole life.

7. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I would only buy them for emergencies because you get what you pay for. New tires are always a better deal because they will probably last longer. However, I cannot say the same for other things. For instance, a used computer can often be as good as a new one. Can anyone think of things that are often as good as new when used or things that are better new?

8. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    It really depends. If they are fairly new, they might be the better value. Those are rare deals, but possible.

I think getting designer clothing (especially things like formal wear that are often only worn once) at consignment shops or online shops is a good value. You can get some beautiful things in great shape for much lower prices. If you are also only going to wear it once, why spend a fortune?

Something that I often think is better than new is furniture. I love the craftsmanship of older pieces that are made of solid wood. I think they are far better quality than the particle board stuff you mostly find today. That stuff is often made of sawdust and glue rather than solid wood. It might look stylish, but it isn't the high quality. It is often still pricey though, so I'd much rather have a good older piece for my money. That or find someone to build custom wood furniture.