Do you book hotels in advance or just check in whenever you need to?

Discussion in Travel started by eppie • May 15, 2014.

1. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I ask this question because one time when my family went out of town to travel, we didn't book a hotel in advance. So when we reached the destination we went looking for a decent hotel or lodging in the vicinity.

We were able to find a hotel and even saw a good friend of mine who at that time also staying in the same hotel. I asked her about the hotel amenities and of course the hotel rates. I was surprised to find out that although we have the same type of hotel rooms (with breakfast buffet), I am paying a whole lot more than she is. She said that she was able to get 30% discount because she booked two weeks in advance.

early birds.

We don't go on trips very often so I'm not really aware of these hotel practices. So my question is do you book hotels in advance? Also, do you have other tips and tricks to get lower hotel rates?

Looking forward to your replies. :)

2. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    Hi Eppie, for me booking a hotel in advance is very important every time my husband, daughter, and myself go somewhere for a trip. It is not because it would be cheaper to book it earlier but because we always book using agoda.com or booking.com (agoda is the best so far based on my experience).

We usually get a huge discount and even able to stay in a 4 or 5 stars hotel every time at cheaper rates.

So many other people nowadays are booking their hotels room using these two websites so we kind of have to compete earlier to get a room. We just need to show the discount coupon when we arrived for check-in to the preferred hotel and we still get all the services provided just like everyone else.

3. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah I also noticed that Agoda offers a better deal than other hotel booking sites. :)

Last week I "Googled" a hotel and got several rates for the same hotel and room type but Agoda usually have the best rates. Seems like hotels do allot some of their rooms to these hotel booking websites - a good way to promote their hotels. I also noticed that rates on the hotel's website is actually more expensive than their rates posted in booking sites. :D

4. Jrh2

Jrh2Member

Threads:
    I always book hotels and flights as soon as I decide I am going away, months in advance, as it makes it so much cheaper. My friend plans her holidays months ahead and books a few weeks before she goes and she pays more than double what I pay for a flight or hotel but when I tell her how much cheaper it is if you book straight away she won't listen.

5. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, we often book hotels in advance. But I do not like booking hotels where you will be fined if you do not stay there. We have had some bad experiences with hotels that did not provide the standard of room that they had advertised. Then when we said we would not stay there, they tried to charge us. The sad thing is, I did not rant about it and I think if I had really highlighted everything that was wrong with the hotel they would have seen my reasoning. If you do not have a commitment to a place, then it is better in case you do find something cheaper.

6. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    Sorry to learn about your horrible experience HC. :( If that happened to me, I will definitely blog about it and/or make lousy reviews about that hotel and submit it in popular sites like TripAdvisor. :mad:

7. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I look for a hotel in advance. Not only it's going to save me time and avoid me the hassle, it also opens me to opportunities for me to save like knowing the discounts and promos. Also this let me know the cheap and the expensive ones, giving me time to decide which to go for. It really a must to check on a hotel in advance. It also gives me quite an accurate estimate of my probably expenditures so I know how much I should be bringing.

8. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    It really depends.

If I have a known event that has times/dates that are set, then yes, I definitely book in advance! I don't want to risk not getting a hotel when I need it.

If I'm going to be driving long distance and am not sure where I'll be stopping, though, then I'll just stop at one when I get tired and hope they have a spot open. If not, I go to the next town and get one there. No big deal.

9. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I have been writing some reviews about hotels and resorts I have stayed in TripAdvisor and that is my number one site to spread things I dislike and like about places I go :D

But since I have my own blog now then I may as well blog about it :D

10. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to book my stay in advance so that I know I have a place to stay. I also look for discounts when I am booking my hotel stay. Once we did go some place with the intention to return home that night but we got so tired it was not safe to drive back home, we were able to get a room at a good price but we had to go to several places before we found a room.

11. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I book my hotel stays in advance. You get better rates when you book your travel and hotel stays in advance. My ex sister-in-law works at a travel agency and she can get me a great deal on hotel rates if I have to travel suddenly.

I have considered getting a part time job at a major hotel chain just for the hotel discounts. I just need to get my airfare covered and I'll be set. ;)

12. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    Well maybe you can still create a short comment on TripAdvisor then just create a "read more.." backlink from there for SEO purposes. I'm just not sure if TripAdvisors' platform is allowing links? :D

This way you can drive traffic to your blog and at the same time still have presence on TripAdvisor to help create awareness to (i.e. warn) other travelers. :)

#12Jun 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  13. kasi

kasiActive Member

Threads:
    It depend that where are you going if you are going to crowded areas then you must book the hotel in advance otherwise time to time i like that type of strategy and i also do this when i go for travel..

14. jellybean

jellybeanMember

Threads:
    Typically, booking in advance will get you a much bigger discount than finding a place when you arrive. You will also be able to read reviews and find a place you will like staying at. If you don't book in advance, however, a great way to save money is to have either a AAA card or an Entertainment card (or both) and ask if they offer discounted rates with those programs - most hotels will give discounts for at least one of them. You can also save money by locating a hotel near where you are headed and calling their 1-800 number instead of booking at the front desk, it they will give you a cheaper rate as they want to fill the open roo

15. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    I always book in advance but had been bidding on Priceline.com. I am going to have to check out agoda. Oh I just looked and that is nice, you don't have to pay right away. With Priceline you have to pay when you book. You taught me something new today, so thank you.