Do You Bother To Complain?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Gelsemium • Feb 6, 2015.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When the service is really bad do you bother to make a written complaint or you just leave never to return? Sometimes if I have the time and everything was really bad I might write it down in the complaints book...

2. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If it's something really bad, I will usually complain in any way I find that is more effective. I rarely get to the point of actually complaining unless I really do feel offended or mistreated. It's rare to get to that point, but if it does i'll talk to a manager or even complain online. Complaining on social media is very effective because you are exposing the company and they will do their best to clean their reputation.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I'm going to be honest here and say that I have pretty much never complained.

There have been a couple particularly bad cases where I did go ahead and put a review up on Yelp. Yes, had I contacted the store/restaurant directly with the complaint, they probably would've given me a discount or free food, etc, to keep my mouth shut. I felt it was more important to share my experiences with others so that they knew they weren't alone or that service overall was consistently bad (not just a one time thing).

4. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    If service is really bad then I have to say something. The way I look at it, don't get into a service industry if you don't want to serve.

I like what

said about writing something on Yelp.

If I get bad service in a restaurant (although I rarely eat in restaurants), I don't want to say anything while there, because I have seen waaaay too many "Caught on Tape" shows where they show people doing all kinds of gross things to food. I feel like if I complain during a meal about their poor service, or send something back because it is underdone, overcooked, etc. my food might come back tampered with.

5. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    It depends on the situation. If it's not that bad, I will just let it pass away. I won't complain to the manager or whoever is in charge. Instead, I'll tell my friends about the bad experienced I had in that particular store so that they will become aware. If it too bad, then that is the time that I have to say something.

6. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always make a written complaint. After all, email is free so there's nothing to lose. A quick tip for the more mercenary amongst us, end your complaint with something along the lines of "I would welcome the chance to discuss recompense for the inconvenience caused to me.". It often results in receiving a gift voucher or refund!

7. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never do at a restaurant. They have tough jobs dealing with snarky customers all day and everyone is entitled to their bad days. If I owned a restaurant, I wouldn't care how many people I lost, my employees would be allowed to stand up for themselves and ask those who abuse them to leave. Since they can't in reality, I'm never one to complain. I can't judge their entire day, I'll leave it up to those who follow me. If the server is truly bad at what they do, I know people.. they definitely won't keep it to themselves, the complaints will flow and I don't really need to be adding to that. I'm a big girl. If I don't like the food, I just won't finish it and I likely won't return to the restaurant. Same if I don't like the service. They SERVED me regardless.. did something I felt I couldn't do for myself. They made the effort. It's not in me to be difficult unless they walked up and poured the food on my head. Come to think of it.. I'm like this everywhere I shop. I just don't care enough to complain unless thousand$ went into it. I don't need a free meal or a coupon that badly.

8. Yidna

YidnaNew Member

Threads:
    For me, this really ever applies to restaurants. I love my food, and I love to enjoy my food with people who are pleasant. Whenever I receive bad service, I just leave and vow never to return. But after a while, I'll forget about it because I'm hungry and I want to eat what they have. Though where I am, there are billions of restaurants of every type everywhere, so I don't know why I do this. I've considered keeping a log of all bad experiences so I can check it any time I want to eat at a restaurant.

9. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't often complain unless it's something really bad that happened. Many times, it might not be the cashiers or the servers fault, so I don't want to get them in trouble if it was actually someone else's fault.

One of the worst experiences I had was dealing with my Chase credit card and my Charter One bank account. I had my Chase card set up to auto pay from my Charter One account and everything was working fine at first. But a while later I switched banks, so I logged back into my Chase account and updated it with my new banking information. However they would not let me delete out my old banking information for 90 days for some stupid reason. Anyhow I set the new bank account info as my "default" account, so they were to take payments from it instead.

In the meantime, I left a small amount of money in my Charter One account and left it open even though I wasn't really using it any more - just in case I didn't like my new bank, and wanted to switch back. I was also leaving it open in case there were any charges going to it like some old domain names I registered or something like that.

Everything was working fine for a couple months, Chase was deducting the payments from my new banking account. Then out of the blue, they started trying to take the payments from my *old* Charter One account instead - which didn't have enough money in it, so they bank rejected the charges and hit me with an insufficient funds fee of $35. When Chase got the rejection, they hit me with a bounced check charge as well for $35.

What happened next really pissed me off. Each day, Chase kept trying to get the payment from Charter One again - it's all automated in their system to keep trying non-stop. So again, another $70 in fines - this went on for several *days* before Chase finally snail mailed me a letter alerting me of the issue. By then, there was over $350 total in fines from both parties. They had my email, they had my phone number, and neither of them attempted to call or email me about the issue, and let it go on.

Worse yet, I could not get either of them to drop the fines, even though this was not my fault. It was Chase's fault for something malfunctioning on their end and switching back to my old banking account. I never, ever, went in there and changed it back myself. Charter One could care less, and insisted I pay the fines as well.

My parents had some cars financed through Charter One, and they had Chase cards too - we got rid of all them, and they transferred their loans too.

10. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    It depends on how fatal the experience I encountered with a certain product or service. If it was really worst, I would file a complaint or something similar to that. But if I can handle it, I would just leave it to that. Maybe, I'll just write a review about it on my blog just to make other people be aware.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I usually don't unless I like the company enough or I plan to keep on purchasing from them. I do this just so I can have a better chance of having a better experience in the future and if they still don't correct the mistake then I most likely will just never use their service again. Most of the time I just forget about it and just advise my friends not to buy from those stores.

12. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only complain if I need to or would use the service again, otherwise I would not return. I only write things on social media when any attempts fail, because the first thing they ask is 'Who did you speak/write to?' and you look silly if you haven't tried to sort things out first and just go on a rant. Social media does get results though usually!

In restaurants, you should complain there and then so they can rectify things. Too often people complain, but don't say anything until afterwards which leads me to thinking they are nit picking, because for a real complaint it has to affect you there and then and if it didn't it couldn't have been that bad.

13. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on the ins and outs of the situation, I feel. If the service was outright comically bad, then I would perhaps go to a higher up, within the store, and say something rather than writing out a written complaint. I suppose that these says most people would type it out over writing it by hand, and then simply fax or email the complaint.

14. lessthanthree

lessthanthreeNew Member

Threads:
    Something has to be really terrible for me to complain. I usually vent via sites like Yelp so that others can judge the situation for themselves. For every bad review I leave on Yelp, I make sure to leave at least two good reviews for places I like to go. All that work makes me think twice about going to the internet to complain.

I only once complained to a company for service that I received (it was a salon that offered a groupon for a service, but the groupon was supposed to have been for a lesser service, so they charged me the difference without asking). I called the owner and he yelled at me instead of trying to explain, so I told him that if he was going to treat me in that way, then I would make sure to tell Groupon, Yelp, and do a chargeback for the service. He cursed me out and I did all three. That stands out as the only time I have ever had to take action against a place.

As for little things like restaurants getting a food order wrong, I always say something. There's no reason to complain, people are human and make mistakes. I think there's a world of difference between complaining and bringing attention to something that you didn't expect.

edited to close parentheses

15. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I just called my insurance agent and expressed my complaint yesterday. They told me they would handle contacting my former insurance company about the switch. It didn't happen. That's one strike against them.

16. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I am more likely to fill in the comment card for good service than to complain. In a restaurant if my order comes out wrong, I address it in the moment, depending on what the problem was. For instance, I can't eat peppers. I sent food back multiple times once as it kept coming out with peppers, but I didn't lodge a formal complaint.

17. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    If I thought about it, I could probably count the times I've actively complained about a service or a product on my two hands and come out at least a finger or two to the good. I won't say I walk out and never go back. Often I do go back, as I realize that everyone is entitled to a bad day now and again.
    There are times I never go back, though.
    Cleanliness is a big deal to me in both restaurants and in stores. If I don't feel it's clean, I likely won't stay much less return.
    And if I do choose to complain, It's usually about a product. Not the service.

18. RomanAnthonysMama

RomanAnthonysMamaMember

Threads:
    I complain, but I am not a bully about it. If I feel as though I have been mistreated, I will get the person's name, and call corporate or speak to the manager to report them. I also keep in mind that maybe they are having a bad day. If they are downright rude, then I will definitely complain, but if they just seem off that day, I will give them a pass, everyone deserves one once in awhile.

I have worked in retail a lot, and one thing that REALLY bugged me were bully customers. I understand voicing your opinion when you are upset, but if you're sitting there yelling at a cashier and calling them names (which a lot of people actually do) just because they made a mistake, then I think that's bullying because you know they are on the clock and you know that they can't say anything back. Those people would never talk to them like that if they weren't behind a counter. However, like I said, someone who is actually in need of reporting, yes I would report them.

19. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Like the above poster stated, I am also not a bully about complaining, unless I really have to be. Some people just do not like to take responsibility and right the wrong, you know?? So you have to be a little more firm or forceful at that point, but it is not fun to get to that point!!

20. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    I complain in nice way. I talk directly to the manager and tell him/her the problem. It is the right of the customer to have a good service. We are paying right price for a good service , right? It also a way for the businesses to improve there services for customer satisfaction. ;)