Do you bundle?

Discussion in Internet Broadband Access started by dissn_it • Apr 17, 2012.

1. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I recently was comparing service providers and for what we needed, I chose not to bundle. The reason why is that because in the long term, I would have been paying more for the services than if I did not bundle them. Once the initial time period expired, I would be paying much more. I always thought bundling was a great way to save money but for just cable TV and high speed internet, it was cheaper to not combine them. Do you bundle or not?

2. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I never bundled either when I had the chance. The low prices are only good for one year!

I remember back when I had internet through the cable company and voip through a different company, the cable company would periodically call me to ask if I wanted to switch to their voip so that I could "bundle," but it always came out to more expensive if I did it that way. Plus, they would only accept the bundle if I also ordered their cable tv service which would have been useless to me since I didn't own a tv set, haha!

3. BonnyC

BonnyCActive Member

Threads:
    I bundled, but it has always been a better deal for us. We have a cable and Internet bundle and I recently looked into dropping the cable to save money. If I dropped our cable, we would only save ten bucks a month. I decided that it wasn't a big enough difference to bother with. I do keep up with new bundles they introduce, though. I've upgraded my service that way before and was spending the same amount of money after the promotional discount period was over.

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    We do bundle and for us, it was cheaper. Even long term, it was cheaper if we had all three services together. At the point that we drop the landline phone, though, it'll be cheaper to split the other two up.

I don't recommend doing it long term either, mostly because of when one service goes out, they all go out. So if you have a landline, cable, and internet....if the service goes out, chances are, you don't have access to any of them. It's not quite as huge of a deal now that most people don't have landline phones, but it made it really frustrating to be cut off completely.

5. Renzaku

RenzakuNew Member

Threads:
    Yes, I myself bundle (I get high speed internet, land line service, and cable in the bundle).
    I mean, why not? It's a great way to save some money, if you are going to pay for those specific services anyway.
    I don't know how since my parents deal with it, but we always manage to get a discount on the bundles that we pay for.

6. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I don't bundle either because it cost more money. It's best to keep all of your bills separate because if you bundle they turn everything off. I've been in this situation before with bundling the phone, Internet, and the cable. The minute I couldn't pay they turned everything off, and I asked if I could separate the bills. The customer service rep told me I would have to pay an extra fee to do so. After that experience I said I would never bundle my bills again.

7. Anna T

Anna TMember

Threads:
    I just signed up for a bundle package, but in our case the deal is good for two years. We're getting basic cable, a landline, and high speed internet for $89 a month. I know this might not sound cheap to some, but in our area where there are no other service providers available, it's a pretty good deal.

8. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    Actually, that is a pretty good deal. Back when I was in the market for this, they were offering those same three things for $100 a month, but it was only good for one year. It wasn't a good match for me, though, because I didn't have a tv, and the other products were $50 each and non-bundlable. (Is "bundlable" a word, haha?) I ended up taking just the internet for $50 and getting the phone for $30 somewhere else.

9. sergiu23

sergiu23Active Member

Threads:
    Bundling is great. In my country we have one of the best internet connection speed in the world, at the lowest prices. Because usually all services come in bundled: internet, TV, phone. For example, my parents got 100MB/s internet, 123 channels TV and a free landline phone with free calls in the network and 60 minutes included outside + 1 free decent cell phone with unlimited calls in the networks and shared minutes with the landline for less than 20$ (about 18$). I got for the house sattelite TV with over 150 channels and one landline phone that can also be used as a modem at a decent speed with free traffic, and a 500 MB included traffic USB stick modem for 8$. The key is that you stick to those minutes and included traffic, where they are limited. And sign for at least two years, but it's been 7 years for my parents and about 2 for me and the prices increased with maximum 1$.

10. prescott911

prescott911New Member

Threads:
    I just got Verizon Fios TV, Phone and Internet which saves you a lot. They give you a $500 Visa Gift Card when you get the top tier package. You save even more if you tell them about Verizon Wireless account. It was all installed on Monday about a week after a door-to-door third party sales person came and signed us up. I am pretty sure that the deal is specifically for when sign-up via a door-to-door salesperson.

So far everything is working extremely well, internet quality and 1080i HD TV are flawless!

11. Randomhero

RandomheroMember

Threads:
    Depends if you really need it, sometimes the company has a special that lasts indefinitely. Like for some reason I have Highspeed internet & Basic 70 channel Cable for like 90$ bundle, where as if I got it seperatly it would be like 120$.

12. jrkrizco

jrkrizcoNew Member

Threads:
    I bundle and it makes sense to me. I save more this way. When my time has expired, I always call the company and manage to get another great deal, so it's almost like the special offer never expired.

13. Sandy

SandyNew Member

Threads:
    I used to think I can save up with the bundle option but a couple of years ago I smarted up and has since saved some money. While it worked for my needs, it may not for yours so go look into it and figure if you're better suited to take advantage of bundled services or not.

14. j_pin

j_pinActive Member

Threads:
    I don't bundle because every bundle I see includes a land line and that's just ridiculous. In 2012 I can't think of any reason why I would want or need a landline. I've found it's cheaper just to go al a cart. Bundling is just a way that companies found to throw stuff in you don't really need and charge you more than if you didn't have it, it's not like companies really want to save you money, they are only looking out for themselves.

15. saizo6

saizo6Active Member

Threads:
    I do bundle (phone, internet and cable) since it is a bit cheaper and less of a hassle. It's more convenient for me when everything is all on one bill. Once the term expires I usually change to a different one anyways so it's pretty much a cycle for me. And I've found that the people are more willing to work out deals with you when you do get the bundled package.

16. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    The main reason as to why I don't bundle is that I have a satellite dish and a local company for internet service. Even if I didn't have a dish, I'd be loathe to bundle as I wouldn't want my entire home to shut down as far as entertainment over a late bill. Some things you can do without and it won't be so bad, but everything at one time? Even if it is just a day, it's torture.

17. micromachne

micromachneMember

Threads:
    You have to be careful with these bundles now. We used to bundle as well and THOUGHT it was good. But slowly, they start adding on things you don't need or want. And it shows up on your bill along with whatever taxes come along with it. And most of them magnify depending on how many boxes you have.

18. EvoDoom

EvoDoomMember

Threads:
    We do in fact bundle, mainly because we use all of the services anyway. Some of the family members spend a lot of time watching TV and a couple spend more time online. But we all make use of the phone as well, so bundling was most definitely the best option for us. :)

19. JenVarsity

JenVarsityMember

Threads:
    We bundle!

We have TWC for a provider and I am CONSTANTLY on the phone trying for a better price. The price amenities are outrageous in todays time. Just a few days ago I noticed out promotions were going to fall off this month and next. This would bring our cable/television to $150/month. We have one DVR box and a mid level internet speed. I have ALWAYS wated whole home DVR or at least a playback box...what kind of mom gets to sit down and watch television unless her eyes are closed? *chuckles* So I thought, maybe, just maybe I could add whole home and get a new promo...no such luck. My bill would go up even more and I wasn't about to pay that. My husband is easily upset by this, because we really only watch a few channels but do rent every new release every Tuesday. So we pay in a lot more than the average family for movie rentals. Somehow I ended up at retention (and I didn't even yell, which is very abnormal for a TWC call) and the retention lady offered me this:

Premium Channels
    A step up in internet
    A house phone (which we had recently got rid of because it was too expensive)
    FREE HBO (3m) (we currently pay for)
    FREE CINEMAX (3m)
    FREE SHO (6m)
    ...AND a playback box!!!

GUESS what her price to me was? --- I was thinking...oh great, she's adding a phone, upping our internet, AND giving me a playback box...my blood was literally starting to boil just thinking about the crazy price she was probably going to talk me into. Well, it wasn't crazy at all! It was $99 +tax. My only response was "I'll TAKE IT!"

I know that my father-in-law bundles television, internet, and phone, he pays just under $90/month and does not have any extra amenities...and he thinks he's getting a good deal...

JenVarsity

20. tommymac

tommymacActive Member

Threads:
    I bundle, but I really don't get it. I just need TV and Internet, but if I don't get the phone, it actually costs more. I feel like I'm at the movie theater getting ripped off at the concession stand because I want a small Coke and a medium popcorn, but it costs more to do that than it costs to buy a large popcorn and two medium drinks.