Do You Buy Brand Name Or Generic Vacuum Bags?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Diane Lane • May 11, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a decent vacuum that I bought back when I had money for such things, and initially, I bought the brand name vacuum bags to go with it. I usually buy brand name accessories like that when I first buy a new product, since it's new, and I'm concerned about keeping the value, particularly if it's under warranty. However, once those were used up, I decided to try saving a little money buy buying generic bags designed to fit that brand and model. I haven't had an issue with the generic bags, and saved a lot of money, since the brand name bags cost so much more money.

What do you do? Do you stick with brand name bags, or go with generic? I buy the generic ones on Amazon, and I've never had a problem with the seller or shipping, either.

2. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Generic every time please. As long as they will fit my vac then I'm quite happy. I've never noticed any difference between the two either. I resent paying good money for something that just ends up in the bin!

3. Diane Lane

Threads:
    That's exactly how I feel. As long as they fit, work, and don't damage whatever I'm using them in/on, I'm fine with using generic. If the brand name price was only a tiny bit higher than the generic, I might change my mind, but it's usually significantly higher, so it's almost always worth it to buy generic, in my opinion.

4. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    Generic. For some products, I've felt that generic let me down (cheap headphones from a Chinese website or trinklets from eBay etc), but for generic stuff that already does not cost much and that is hard to get "wrong", unless it is so flimsy that it breaks super fast (but then reviews would mention it), I stick to generic. No difference for most products anyway.

5. Diane Lane

Threads:
    I agree. For electronics, I usually stick to regular brands, even if they're not top of the line, but ones that have decent reputations. I don't mind buying generic food products, as long as they're from reputable manufacturers, and for things like clothing, as long as it's well made, from good fabric/materials, comfy and a good price, I'm fine with them.

6. Jannnnjan

JannnnjanActive Member

Threads:
    Bag less cyclone vacuum cleaner for me. More efficient suction, no bag to change and you know when it's full. Just tip out and way to go. Also saved me an earring as I saw it go round in the cyclone chamber and retrieved it safely. Thank you Mr Dyson for your superb invention.

7. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    Me too, I buy the generic bags every-time.
    I really see no difference, they seem to work just fine for me all the time!
    I make sure to keep the filter clean and replaced, that seems to be the important part.

8. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    The vacuum I use now is a bagless model, but back when my family used one that required a bag, they bought the brand name ones. I’m not 100% sure generic bags were available at the time… but then again, I don’t think my family was aware that you needed to clean and/or replace a vacuum filter, so they could have just been completely unaware of generic bags. If I still needed vacuum bags these days, I’d go generic since as others have mentioned, they just end up in the trash eventually anyway.

9. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If generic is available then why not? I had a Henry cleaner once and finding bags for it was hard, so I had to use the branded ones, but if there were generic I would have used them. As long as they fit and do the trick, why waste money. I have seen people really improvise with bags to make the most of them, but now I have a bagless one!

10. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Totally agree this is one area where buying generic really pays off - as although I now have a bagless cyclone vacuum cleaner - in the years prior to switching - I always bought generic bags - as I could never justify paying for brand name bags - when the generic equivalent were not only almost half the price - but virtually identical in every respect to the brand name ones.