Do you buy clothes because of their price/style or because of their brand?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by psmith140 • Jul 7, 2012.

1. psmith140

psmith140New Member

Threads:
    I am curious - are you more driven to buy a piece of clothing because it is cheap/comfortable/better looking or do you buy clothes because they are a named brand? Pesonally I sway either way. I suppose I used to buy brand stuff when I was younger to keep up with peer pressue but nowadays I find myself buying clothes puirely on how affordable and stylish they are. Which way do you go? Would a cheap offer sway you more then an expensive brand top of the range type product?

2. Livvi

LivviActive Member

Threads:
    When it comes to me, I buy things are like, that are at the right price and that I think will suit me. The same goes for my younger children. However, when it comes to my older son a lot of his clothes are brand names so he is cool with the rest of the kids! :)

3. KNH

KNHActive Member

Threads:
    I buy clothes based on the way they look and if they fit. Of course, price matters too...if something is ridiculously expensive, I will pass. Brands do not really matter too much for me nowadays. I used to care, though! :)

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy clothes based on how good they look on me. It doesn't matter how cheap or inexpensive it is, if it's ill-fitting or makes me look frumpy. I don't really care for brands as much as quality and fit. It's a bit rare to find off-branding clothing that will fit or is made as well as certain designers or brands.

5. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    I normally buy clothes according to the style and how I look in them regardless whether they are cheap or expensive. Because I love having a lot of clothes in my cupboard most of them are inexpensive. I wouldn't be able to have so many clothes if I just preferred buying the more pricey garments. As to name brands, I couldn't really be bothered anymore.

6. tulosai

tulosaiActive Member

Threads:
    Like most people here I don't care about name brands at all. I care a lot about style and fit, and it has to be reasonably priced though I don't solely shop sales- if something looks great and I'll get a lot of use from it I won't hesitate to splurge a but for high quality. In most cases people don't know what brand something is just by looking anyway- it isn't worth it to me.

7. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I don't care about name brands either. It doesn't matter how much you pay for an outfit, if it doesn't fit well and it doesn't flatter your figure it's a waste of money. I buy most of my clothes from local street markets, and I always get compliments when I go out. My most flattering dress cost just 3 Euro (around $5), and it washes well, so why spend more than that?

#7Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  8. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I am more into how the clothing looks on me and how well it is made. If I can get something for a really good price that is well made and looks good, I will buy it. If it is expenseive and I really cannot afford it, I will pass on it. I am not into name brands all that much but I do still want a quality product.

9. MyOCDisMild

MyOCDisMildMember

Threads:
    I usually buy clothes for the style. If i can find something that suits my style, which is kind of a classical with a modernized twist, I'm happy. Luckily it's not hard to find clothes that compliment myself or my body type. A few pairs of jeans and some graphic tees and I'm happy. The most expensive thing I wear are my sneakers, which I splurge on because I'm a workout freak and I'm usually pretty active so I can run my sneakers down quite often if they're not of a good quality.

10. violino

violinoMember

Threads:
    I think here is exactly the same. I don't buy things only because they're cheaper. But they must be good looking and I must like them.
    I know that every brand has brand clothes and noname ones which are actually the same quality but are sold in supermarkets for example. But beside maybe two brands from supermarket I like, I prefer buying named brand clothes. I don't know why, probably it's this way of thinking that if something is called good it will be good. And if something is not called at all, it's a rubbish. I don't know, really. Although I tried to convince myself to buying cheaper cloths. It doesn't work.

11. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I mainly look for the best deals where I can get more clothes for my money. I don't need to spend a lot on name brands, I just need some decent clothes that aren't cheaply made. I mostly shop at Ross, Target, and on rare occasions Walmart. I don't go for style when I shop I just go for comfort. I'm not concerned about if I'm wearing the latest trends, I just want to have clothes that are inexpensive.

12. dexterlablab1

dexterlablab1Active Member

Threads:
    I buy clothing based on what I feel is comfortable and what I like. I can care less about brand loyalty or the price. If a shirt is $1, yet I think it looks good, consider it bought.

13. adriana2012

adriana2012New Member

Threads:
    when I want to buy something I try to find clothes that are at a good price, comfortable and in fashion, I especially buy cotton clothes because I believe there are more comfortable and good for the body.
    I don't really look for famous brands, because I am the type that buys something for how it looks, not for the brand...

14. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I only buy clothes I like, then have a look at the prize tag. If it's worth buying, I won't think it twice and buy it. I rarely buy any things just because they're on sale.

15. Mystique

MystiqueActive Member

Threads:
    When I was younger, I bought branded clothes because they last longer. In addition, the brands that I like usually come up with the best designs and materials. However, these days, I will go for cheap but stylish clothes. Good thing that it is easy to find them in SA!

16. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I buy clothing according to what I need at that moment in time. I do not buy according to brand but I do steer clear of brands that are linked to slave labor or using unsustainable materials. I do try and buy locally made and environmentally conscious - not as easy as it should be.

17. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I don't buy name brand stuff. As in, I actually actively avoid it generally, unless the price is really REALLY good. I don't like the label associations and I will go for comfort and price every time.

18. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    On occasion I'll buy clothes based on brand, but only if/because I know from past experience that the brand I'm buying is the best style and the best fit at the best price.

19. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I buy clothing for the style and not for the brand or price tag. I enjoy buying clothing that are on sale and hardly ever pay a full price for anything. The brand do not matter to me because I buy on sale clothing as long as they are made really well and as long as the material is really good. I check for price, how it's made and then check the material and I come out with some clothing that I can wear for a long time.

20. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I buy clothes based on the price and style. I'm not willing to throw money away just because of the brand name. No matter what the brand is, I'm always going to choose the price of anything else. It's all made in China anyway, so the quality wouldn't be any different...