Do you buy copy cat sodas?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by True2marie • Aug 24, 2014.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    Refreshe is a generic brand of soda that copy cats popular ones. For example, their flavor of mountain dew is called mountain breeze. It's really close in taste, but half the price.

This week in Safeway, Refreshe is on sale for $1.99 a 12 pack. Since I like soda, but don't want to pay for branding, I got it. The only flavor I don't recommend is cola. For some reason, the active ingredient in coke a cola just can't be matched. You have to get the real thing.

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to hate the off brand sodas, mainly because I was drinking diet sodas at the time, and they could never seem to get the flavors right - they always had some weird chemical taste to them. But I must say, in recent years, the flavors of them are virtually indistinguishable from the big brands. Like 15 years ago, when I first moved out on my own, I was buying 6 packs of diet soda from Dollar General - their "store brand" called Clover Valley or something like that. I used to hate the stuff, but was only buying it to save a little vs. Diet Coke. I can't remember what their store brand soda name is now, but it's much better than it used to be. Old stand by Faygo, is also a great option, if you are looking to save a bit. In fact, the dollar stores in my area sell it in extra large bottles. bigger than a 2 liter, maybe a 3 liter?, for only $1 each. These are great for parties, when you need to buy a lot, and it will be getting used up right away, so you don't have to worry about it going flat.

Also, I believe some of these store brand products are actually made by the name brand manufacturers, so that Refreshe could just be Pepsi or Coke re-branded for Safeway.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I haven't seen those particular products but I have come across similar ones that are significantly cheaper. I do buy them but only once in a while, and I have to admit that I even prefer some of them over the originals. I don't buy sodas that often anymore though so whenever I do I don't try and skimp on the price anymore, but if I know I'll be binging for some time then I would strongly consider it just to save a bit.

4. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah I've seen those kind of sodas but I personally don't like them. Some of them just taste really bad off the bat especially those Coca-cola wanna be's, I'm not referring to Pepsi I mean those other brands. I personally like Refeshe I thought they were okay and they're really cheap which is a plus.

5. CoolCat

CoolCatMember

Threads:
    I don't really drink much soda myself, so I almost never buy it in a grocery store. I pretty much only drink it in restaurants, where you don't have a choice about brand. My husband, on the other hand, drinks a ton of soda. He has been trying to lose weight, and recently switched to Coke Zero. Since that's the only diet soda he will drink, that's what we buy. We will occasionally buy generic orange or grape soda when we want something really sweet.

6. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    It really does depend on the brand, and also on what they taste like. There are certain things that taste better than other when they're cheap. I will always make sure that I try the cheaper brands, because at the end of the day it makes no sense to carry on paying a large amount of money for something that you could get for cheaper if there is a chance that you might prefer it anyway. There is a drink at my local supermarket that costs half the amount of the regular version, but I actually prefer it, so it was great for me when I discovered that.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes I do, and they taste ok, so I don't have any complaints. And they are quite cheaper too as compared to the branded sodas, so I get the same amount of soda but at a cheaper price. The brand that I buy is called "RC Cola".

8. jmoriarty630

jmoriarty630Banned

Threads:
    Yes I sometimes do, and I generally find them pleasant. A big plus is the fact that they're cheaper than the 'original' sodas.

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't drink soda anymore but when I used to I tried some alternatives. Maybe I chose the wrong brands because the taste was quite horrible.

From that time on, I never bothered buying anything but the real thing. Those days fortunately are behind me. I don't drink any sodas so I won't be tasting 'copy cat' sodas any more.

10. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to buy a really cheap knockoff brand from Walmart that tasted just like Coke. However, where I currently live this brand is not available, and all of the other generic brands are really bad. So I just settled for by the original Coke. But I would not have a problem if I found a generic brand that tastes as good as the original.

11. sharpayvargas1

sharpayvargas1Member

Threads:
    If you're not fond of drinking soda, you probably will not notice the difference. But as an avid Coca-Cola drinker, there's a big difference in taste between Pepsi and Coke. I tried once to taste a different brand other than Pepsi and Coke but it lacks the spirit from the trusted brands. I don't remember the name of the product but I can remember that it's just sweet, that's all. I bought it from a 7-Eleven store. Just buy Coke or Pepsi.