Do you buy day-old baked goods to save money?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by True2marie • Jun 21, 2014.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I was at a cafe yesterday and got a day-old cookie for free. To me, there's really not much difference in the taste and quality of a lot of baked goods after 24-hours. So, in order to save a few coins, I get them on a regular basis. Most sellers give you a great discount or even free if they're trying to win you over as a customer.

This is what I got . . . DELICIOUS!

Chocolate-Chip-Walnut-Cookie.

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Yes!

I don't usually go to local bakeries, so I've never gotten anything like this for free. I do buy day old doughnuts, bread, muffins, etc, from the regular grocery stores, though. They're usually discounted up to 50% and still taste fresh so long as you eat them within a couple days.

3. VTEC 9/12/44

VTEC 9/12/44Member

Threads:
    I don't buy day-old baked goods, I make them myself. If I wanted them a day old, and easier to cut, I'd wait. I recently made my own bread with cornmeal in it but that got eaten quickly. We hadn't had cornmeal bread in a while. I might make honey wheat again next, once the pitas my mom bought run out or if I feel like it. Just this morning, I made lemon blueberry waffles. Lemon and blueberries are delicious together. I didn't have the zest, but that was okay, it was still good. We froze the rest so it's like we have frozen waffles we can just toast and eat whenever we want.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    This is my favorite tactic when buying from bakeries, but here we usually get the sale on the same day as the bakery is starting to close so they don't end up having to store the bread in the store I guess. It's great because the discounts are very substantial but at the same time it's also a disadvantage since there is also always a long line because of the cheap prices. It definitely is worth the few minutes of wait though because the discount is huge which is why I almost never buy full price unless I am pressed for time.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The bakery that is nearest our house doesn't give discounts if their bread is already a day old. They make it into a pudding instead. I know in the mall they sell bread at discounted prices when it's closing time already, but I'm not usually in the mall when that happens, so I miss the discount.

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I personally don't buy day old bakery products. As soon as they tell me it's been there a day, I walk away. I always wonder if it's been there longer than just a day LOL Then again I suppose they could tell us the stuff is fresh when in actual fact, it's been sat there for much longer. The only saving grace is that you can usually tell if something is freshly made. But I do have to say that that cookie you got looks YUMMY, @

7. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Some of our local bakeries have outlet stores where they sell all their day old items. Unfortunately though, they don't make anything " like a good rustic Italian bread - they make your more standard "sandwich" bread, the soft spongy stuff, hot dog buns, hamburger buns, etc... I don't usually eat that stuff since it's too soft for my tastes. I prefer a crusty Italian bread, which I still get for a good price, anywhere from 99 cents to $1.99 a loaf depending on where I get it. But we do get the day old bread to feed to the birds and other animals in our backyard. If I were throwing a cookout or something where I would be making hamburgers and hot dogs, I would probably get the day old stuff as well to save a few bucks. There's no sense in paying full price for the bread unless you're going to eat it all that day - all bread is "day old" the next day after you paid full price for it.

8. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    We have a local bakery inside a store where I live. Sometimes they will have old donuts for sale. They are usually 3 in a pack for like $1.5. This isn't bad considering the fact that individually the donuts cost like .85 cents. I have passed the deal many times until one day I got curious and bought a pack. Let's just say I won't make that mistake again. The donuts were horrible and dry.

9. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately none of bakery stores where I live actually do this - as they generally recycle anything that is leftover at the end of the day - into something that will look equally inviting the following day.

I do however - although I don't myself normally buy any baked goods - think it a great tip for those who do have bakery stores in their area - that do sell off day old bakery products at bargain prices - especially as - not only do the majority of baked goods freeze remarkably well - but there are literally hundreds of different ways in which to put them to good use - rather than let them go to waste.

10. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I used to work in a donut shop and all the day old donuts we would bag and sell a dozen for $1.00. Then anything else that wasn't sold was donated. The donuts were still very tasty just not quite as fresh. There are certain baked goods that are best when they are freshly baked but some items like pies are no different the next day. I have no problem buying day old bakery items. I mean sometimes I buy some baked goods and they sit on my kitchen counter for a day before we eat it.

11. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I buy day old baked goods all the time and do not see much of a difference in quality. When I go to the grocery store, I always check out the discount section to see if there is something there I can't live with out or can get for a really good price. There is nothing wrong with it in my opinion.

12. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    I buy 'day old' bread and bakery items from the grocery store regularly, particularly from Kroger. When I go to Kroger I always check the bread aisle to see if there is bread marked down. I usually get loaves of bread, hot dog buns, and hamburger buns for .49 cents each. The sell by date of these items is usually within a day or two, so I will keep one loaf in the refrigerator for us to use and freeze the rest in the freezer. Bread freezes pretty well. To thaw, I just let thaw on the counter or in the refrigerator. We also have a 'day old' bread store where a lot of bread near the sell by date ends up from many stores, where I can buy loaves of bread, bagels, pita bread,and other bakery items for a fraction of the regular retail price.

13. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:Like Rosyrain I do check Walmart's day old spot to see if anything there interests me. I go to our local bread baker's thrift shop. Love's Bakery has 2 places on Oahu that I know of for day old bake goods. I buy bread and other delicious bake goods and freeze them. I sometimes buy pastries that seems okay. I love

raspberry sponge cake filled little looking pies that's so good. I like Love's Bakery Thrift shops with great bargains and almost fresh products.

14. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    I’ve bought day old or bread and baked goods. I’ve never had an issue with them. I typically buy them if I am having people over for dinner that day and need a bread or last minute dessert.

I usually will eat them with in a day or two otherwise they start to go stale. I think it’s a great way to save.