Do you buy DVD box sets?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by andrew172 • Mar 2, 2014.

1. andrew172

andrew172Active Member

Threads:
    As things are becoming more and more digital... do many of you buy dvd boxsets of tv series anymore? or do you just download them? It certainly seems much faster, cheaper and more efficient to do the latter. So do many of you actually go out and purchase box sets?

2. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wanted to purchase the DVD box set of Lost Season 1 and 2 when I was in college but the price was quite high. So, up until now, I haven't purchased any DVD box sets. I did purchase single DVDs and VCDs before but not an entire collection because of the high price. I now just opt to download a collection online if it is available.

3. Jrh2

Jrh2Member

Threads:
    I buy DVD box sets of series so I can watch them again on television. I wouldn't buy a download as I prefer to have a physical copy. I only usually buy television shows on DVD though if I have not seen the episodes. I can see how digital downloads have advantages but I like to have the DVD as it is what I am used to and I have never tried digital downloads for anything yet. Maybe one day I will give it a go.

4. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I still buy them. I like to go on sites like Ebay and Amazon and also I like to go to stores like Cash Convertors and CEX as they sell them dirt cheap. My laptop is for business, I don't want to clog it up with DVDs that I might only watch once.

5. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I have bought a box set before and i thought that it is kinda cool actually having the box set for you to access and do all you need. On another note, downloading is a pretty good option too. It is only a bit tricky for some of the more older and rare series. So if i cant download them, then buying the box set is the safest option

6. lavenderblue

lavenderblueMember

Threads:
    I do buy DVD boxsets but I usually wait till sales that online retailers have. Amazon has some great deals every now and again and some that specialize in DVD sales can have extremely good deals. I recommend Black Friday and Christmas to buy these sorts of things. :D If the Blu-Ray version is comparable in price I would definitely favor that though since I have an HDTV and the difference in video quality is so much. I wish all Blu-Rays had an additional DVD version though since many of my friends don't have Blu-Ray players.

7. Chia

ChiaMember

Threads:
    I do still buy the physical versions of movies because of two reasons.
    1. Nothing can match the sound and quality of a blu ray disc. This really only matters for those who have really expensive set ups.
    2. They are substantially cheaper than digital versions. Plus if you wanted digital HD versions you could always invest in a nice ripping software and rip them so you can stream them from your media server. You will save a lot more money doing this. I just prefer the discs though.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't, because I'm not a collector and I also am very Disorganized so I already have enough trouble with clutter as it is. Personally I don't see much value in box sets because they get outdated too quickly and a lot of other people buy them too so I don't see them as being too rare in the collector's market in the future and I feel the price I would be paying now would only be justified if the value of it at least would increase substantially. However I do think it's worth it for someone who considers it a hobby though. It's just that I have other interests I tend to prioritize and I'm sure that others would also consider the money I put in those to be wasteful if it were them spending for it.

9. artyarson

artyarsonActive Member

Threads:
    I used to do that back in the day. That's exactly how I got myself the entire collection of Star Wars. And that's exactly how I got into the whole Star Wars thing. Buying box-sets used to be very beneficial, especially If it was legally issued DVDs with high-quality.

Nowadays, it's not that necessary. I can simply download or pay per view.

10. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I can't remember the last time i bought Dvds/Cds since everything can be streamed ad downloaded online. And no, i have no plans in acquiring Dvd box sets, i can imagine the price of Dvds are cheap nowadays, but if i can access them online, then I'll just go for that.

11. forest_kitten

forest_kittenNew Member

Threads:
    I consider DVD and book "box sets" to be more of a luxury than a necessity, so these are items I will wait to acquire until they are on crazy sale (like Black Friday) or I'll put them on my wishlist for birthday or Christmas. It's really nice to own box sets of things you truly love. I have the Lord of the Rings box set that came with some collector's items that I bought for myself as a treat on Black Friday and I do not regret it. On the other hand, I've gotten rid of a few box sets that I bought on impulse (who needs the entirety of Friends on a moment's notice anyway?).

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't bought a box set yet, although I have been buying pirated discs of my favorite tv shows. I do download the tv series that I want to watch nowadays since it's more convenient, but if I see a cheap box set of a tv show that like then I will buy it.