Do You Buy Flowers From A Roadside Stand?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by junemoon • Mar 30, 2015.

1. junemoon

junemoonNew Member

Threads:
    With spring approaching, my favorite flower stand will begin selling country bouquets. I love how the variety changes, as the season progresses. First comes the lilies, then the zinnia's and dahlia's, ending with the sunflowers all from a genuine flower farm. There are always other surprise flower fillers, too. The flowers are only $5.00 and come with a mason jar.

Some might think that buying flowers from anywhere but a flower shop is a risk, from my experience this is not true. For me, this is a win win situation. I get flowers at a reasonable price and support a local grower. I was wondering, if anyone else buys there flowers from a roadside flower stand.

2. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do not buy flowers all that often, except for events such as mother's day and whatnot. Or my mother's birthday. But I always make me flower purchases from actual shops. I have never purchased flowers from a street stand in my life, but that is not to say that I wouldn't. I bet the prices would be better from a street stand too.

3. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I have purchased flowers from the road side before. I like the fressness and that they are more in their natural state. In some cases, these are great to use. Then, there are times that flowers from a shop are better to use.

4. junemoon

junemoonNew Member

Threads:
    Oh, yes, this is a great deal. You could not buy a bouquet of dahlia's from a flower shop for $5.00, if they even had dahlia's stocked. Dahlia's are a specialty flower and run $3.00 or more per stem.

A bonus from buying flowers from the stand I shop at is that I know they are fresh. Sometimes, when I look at the flowers at a grocery store, they look so crushed up and wilted. The transportation time alone, plus how long they have sat in the store makes me stir clear. Even a floral shop, has flowers that are shipped in from overseas and are not as fresh, as buying from a local flower farmer.

You should give it a try!

I was just replying to the above poster about the flowers freshness, when you posted about the freshness, hehe.

The naturalness you are referring too, I think stems from the fact, that a lot of times the flowers from the stores are loaded with chemicals to preserve them. I have compared the vase life between my roadside flowers and flower shop flowers and both stand up to the test of time.

I am wondering what times it would be better to buy from a shop? I think maybe, if one does not have the creativity to take apart a few bouquets to make their own, might be a time to do this. Like if only mixed bouquets were offered on the stand and you needed only pink.

I am pretty lucky, I am friends with the flower farmer and they take special orders.

#4Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2015
  5. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I like grabbing flowers from farmers markets. Small road side stands are cool. Some of the bigger roadside stands are just as corporate and have shipped the flowers as far as a grocery store though. Those I don't visit.

6. DreekLass

Threads:
    I don't know much about flowers, personally. I usually just go with the color that I know the recipient likes? And I just go with whatever flower type looks good to me, and is at a reasonable price. Those are the things that determine which ones I buy. Having said that though, flowers that are outside at a stand, do seem like they'd be a lot healthier than flowers that are cooped up inside of a store all day.

7. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    It is my habit to always buy flowers every Sunday after mass to be placed in my altar. I can see a lot of flowers being sold from a roadside stand and sometimes they tend to cost less because of the competition. I have this one favorite roadside flower vendor and I always buy from her. She is a working student, goes to school on weekdays and is out on the street selling flowers and newspapers during weekends.

8. moss

mossNew Member

Threads:
    I prefer to buy from local farmers/growers for two reasons: the first one is to support small businesses, which I feel is a very important part of a good community. I also have always been impressed by the quality and price of the flowers that I can buy from them. It's also a very fun summer-time activity to drive around the countryside and look for some stands to buy fresh sunflowers, peaches, and other awesome plants from.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've bought some flowers from a roadside seller before and I was very pleased with the flowers I got. The best part about it is that they are way cheaper than what you would get them for at an actual store or at a mall. The biggest difference was the packaging since they only use simple paper to wrap it up but we usually take the paper out almost immediately anyway.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never bought any type of flower except when I gave a rose to my mom on Mother's Day, but my mom used to buy flowers after she goes to church from the street vendors too to place on the altar or in the other vase, and it looks like the flowers are decent. I never really paid much attention to them, lol but I'm pretty sure they're worth buying because they're cheaper.

11. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Where I live you won't find anyone selling flowers on roadside stands. In fact unless it's Valentine's you won't find anyone selling flowers in my hometown. Most folks here are retired and spend most of their time in their homes so anyone who wants to sell flowers should be willing to make a loss almost all year round.

I wouldn't mind buying flowers from roadside stands though. I'm sure they'd be somewhat cheaper than what you'd pay for them at a florist's . . .

12. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never done it, but that's not to say I wouldn't. I just don't buy flowers often, but if I had a need for them and saw them by the roadside, I'd definitely buy them.

13. SandyJoy

SandyJoyNew Member

Threads:
    No sorry i also don't buy flowers from roadside stand i always use online shopping for everything and for flowers also so i use online shopping website MyFlowerTree is one of the best florist in India providing us best flowers with top quality at affordable prices.

14. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have purchased from the roadside stands as it is an impulse purchase. I see the flowers, I like the flowers and I have the money so I get the flowers. I will go to a shop to get a special occasion arrangement if I need one. Some of the areas around here have people walking around on busy cross streets with flowers on the weekend.

15. Juno

JunoActive Member

Threads:
    If the flowers look fresh and I'm in a hurry, then I would buy from a road side stand if I spot one. Most of the time I don't think that way and seek out roadside stands.

16. HenryDiebold

HenryDieboldNew Member

Threads:
    I like the fragrance of various flowers, mostly the flowers that blossoms in winter. It provide a freshness in the room.

17. DreekLass

Threads:
    I have never purchased flowers from a road side stand in my life. I mostly feel like it is because I have never really hap the option to where I live though. We don't really have them. We only really have flower shops, whether they be really small and local or bigger ones. To me also, it kind of just seems like getting flowers from an actual shop is more legitimate unless you are going to grow them yourself and already know a lot of information about flowers and their meanings.

18. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:No I don't buy from the roadside, but I love to receive flowers and gifts. It's a sweet gesture to give flowers for you're in the person's thoughts. I love flower scents. I see roadside florists mostly at Valentines season.