Do You Buy From China?

Discussion in Online Shopping started by ImariFutari • Apr 7, 2015.

1. ImariFutari

ImariFutariMember

Threads:
    Honestly, I love buying from places like Taobao and Tmall VIA an international shopping service (I prefer Taobaoring).

Here's an Example of one of my favorite Taobao stores, for those that don't know of this particular market:

China has been linked to lots of scams, knock-offs, and whatnot (bad things, generally), but if you're savvy when shopping online; it's very easy to avoid these things. After-all, not everything made in China is of poor quality - since pretty much everything we consume is "Made in China".

Anyway - I prefer Taobao and such (often described as the "Chinese Amazon") because they're cheap. They do sell knock-off's and look-a-likes at certain stores; but from my experience with a few graphic t-shirts, they've been of decent quality.

In America, most of the people that buy from Taobao tend to be 16 to 30 (just from the people I've talked to) and are particularly interested in either very sophisticated fashion, or very flashy, edgy fashion. If buying decor, the same rule goes, generally.

The shopping service that I use is based in L.A and Hong Kong, and they speak both English and Chinese. They take pictures of your products as they arrive, and issue refunds if necessary. You basically pay for domestic and international shipping, as well as for the items themselves.

Would you buy from a trusted Chinese market?? If so or if not, let me know why!

2. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I would and I do. You've definitely got to get comfortable with the source, though. So a bit of research never goes amiss. At the end of the day, a lot of the products sold on eBay or Amazon come from China anyway. You've just got to make sure that the seller is legit in the first place.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy Chinese products from time to time but I never buy [them] from Chinese websites. I've heard lots of tales about ordering something and it takes months for the buyer to receive it. I'm not that patient, to be honest.

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I personally don't buy from China. I got scammed very badly a couple of years ago and I've been very, very cautious ever since. Even on eBay, I always exclude all of the Far East in my searches. I've read so many horror stories that I really don't want to go there. Those people are vey clever with their scams, the websites look so professional and clean; you can see why people get taken in. I can't look at Alibaba without seeing red LOL

I do use Chinese made products because that's the hub of manufacturing and production. I would probably only consider buying from China if someone recommended a specific retailer that they've successfully used.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have bought a lot of items online in Ebay from Chinese sellers, and most of them are satisfactory, but some are shoddily made. Sometimes the stitching is off, so always expect a flaw, and if you don't see one, then you got a good quality product. The shipping is always free if you buy in China, that's why it's enticing to buy there.

6. dashboardc33

dashboardc33Active Member

Threads:
    I have bought things off of Ali Express before and was really impressed with the price and the quality. I am always hesitant about "Made in China" products but the clothes I buy seem to be well worth it. I will buy a whole set with the dress, matching necklace and headband for $10-$15. I know at a regular store they would easily mark it up to $35-$40. They also offer free shipping. The only drawback is that it takes forever to receive the product since it is coming from out of country. I definitely would not buy electronics from a site like this though. I would be leary about that.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh absolutely, if I were to try again i'd definitely steer clear of the electronics. It's just too much of a gamble. I think if I did want to try again, I'd much rather try clothes and hair products, that's where I'd draw the line. BUT again, I'd only buy if someone recommended a retailer they knew and had used successfully themselves.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've bought from Chinese sites before and I was really happy with the products I got. I was initially hesitant but I thought that testing it out with some cheaper items would be alright. I don't buy much from Chinese sites anymore though since we could already buy a lot of their products here now compared to a few years ago. Now I could just order from local sellers for a small markup.

9. jamiew23

jamiew23Member

Threads:
    I've bought from china before for a dodgy iPhone cover that was obviously a rip off but did the job. I'm always a bit worried the item will be fake or of poor quality and then obviously if you do have a problem contacting them for a refund isn't the easiest thing to do!

10. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    Buying products made in China and buying products off Chinese websites is 2 different things though.

You'll find that there's a lot of stuff made in China, even things that you might not be aware of. Sure, the quality is usually rubbish but you'll also no doubt be paying a cheap enough price.

On the other hand though, I'd stay well clear of Chinese websites, I'm sure they're not all scams but I'd suggest they're too advanced to know which are legitimate and which aren't.

11. Maciej

MaciejNew Member

Threads:
    I buy some things on Chinese websites. They are obviously really cheap. But this is mostly stuff I don't REALLY need, something I just stumbeled upon. Also, I try not to buy anything over 10-20 dollars because better be safe than sorry when product quality is bad.

12. lefttowrite

lefttowriteNew Member

Threads:
    I think it has gotten to be taboo to buy a product 'Made In China', maybe because it has been associated with fakes/replicas. However, when I look into the quality that some manufacturers of replicas partake in, they're really no different from real stores.. For example, I was in Pakistan for a wedding one year and we decided why not check out the stores for any steals on replicas. Lo' and behold, we were shocked with quality of the material. Belts were made of actual premium leather and were soft to the touch. I have since bought a basic plain black belt, and it has yet to crumble for two years. For a belt of genuine leather to last very long and only be $20USD I was stunned. So, for Chinese or any overseas distributor I am on the fence. I have had good experiences up-front, but online is a different story. But, because of my experience I've learned to trust sometimes and then come out with a steal. Overall, though I would buy from a Chinese outlet online only if it's trustable and there are review sites. Even if replicas I would trust the build quality.

13. CamdenB

CamdenBNew Member

Threads:
    I have definitely considered it. Being very careful with what I do online, when I see a really quality item for a really cheap price I get concerned. If it looks too good to be true it probably is. Most of the things we buy are made in China anyway. I would only consider buying from a Chinese market online if there were reputable reviews and I could have confidence it is trustworthy.

14. Patryk9595

Patryk9595New Member

Threads:
    I've bought Xiaomi Power bank from AliExpress recently. It's capacity was said to be 10400 mAh, and the price was 12 USD. Very cheap, and as I expected - the capacity was approx. 4000 mAh. So right after checking the product, I contacted the seller, and asked him what to do. After a few messages he agreed to send me 5USD back, I opened a dispute, and money nearly half the price is back on my account. The lesson here is that great deals there are not always true, but you can always demand refund...

15. Darakath

DarakathMember

Threads:
    I have bought multitudes of quality items from China. Although they get a bad reputation for being extremely cheap, many of the products I get are just as durable and premium as their more expensive counterparts. Still, you should watch out for things that seem too good, as they might be scams or low-quality items.

16. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I have bought some good things from China. I shop online and purchase Chinese products a few times a year. I have a really good iPod copy. It does the same things, yet it was much cheaper. So yes I buy from China.

17. spikerfreelancer

spikerfreelancerNew Member

Threads:
    I really agree with a lot of what is being said here. If you are knowledgeable, patient, and understand exactly what you are purchasing, buying from china can be a real benefit. My greatest love is Tech and gadgets, I am very glad that Some of the coolest things I've come across have cost less than the batteries to run them here in the states!

18. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    China does seem to have a lot of the newer technology before any other part of the world, or so it would seem. But, generally speaking, I don't mind buying from any part of the world. As long as the product is what it is described to be, and is a reasonable price, with a reasonable shipping date attached to it, then I will buy anything from anywhere.

19. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't buy from China but I definitely buy goods made in China. Like the cheap products in Lazada, most of those cheap items are made in China. They don't last very long but what the heck if it is inexpensive.

20. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Corzhens@Corzhens' post cracks me up. I have to agree. If you're on a tight budget, even if you know a number of Chinese products weren't made to last long, you just have to shrug it off and make your purchase, hoping against hope you'd chance on something that defies reputation. I don't buy from China, though. There's a large enough Chinese population where I'm from plus a Chinatown complete with products directly imported from China.