Do You Buy Gender Neutral Clothes?

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by Denis Hard • May 10, 2016.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For parents who may want to have one more kid, this strategy can save you some money.

As kids will often outgrow their clothes fast, you'll have lots of kids clothes which are almost as good as new. When you have another kid, the same clothes can be worn by the other kid regardless of their gender [if most of the clothes you buy are gender neutral, that is].

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This could work, although I guess it's easier for parents to decide this, based on their experience of what's out there. I have yet to have children, so I don't know how easy it is to do, and if what's available in stores actually works. If it did work, it would be fantastic, for sure!

3. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I would, but I do think that you need to be careful not to make the younger child feel as though they're only getting second best things all of the time. They need to be able to have some things of their own sometimes, too, even though it might mean that you have to spend a little bit more money on them.

4. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I kept the clothes that were in good shape to use later. They were girl clothes, which worked out well, since I had all girls, ha ha. I think what you're suggesting is not a bad idea though. So many of the clothes today would work for either, especially everyday items like t-shirts, jeans, hoodies, and stuff like that. Well, unless it is especially girly or something.

I agree with Gemma though that each child does need to have some new things of their own. I always made sure they got some new items, but for play clothes and stuff it really wasn't a big deal to have hand me downs.

5. Lisa Davis

Lisa DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have any children myself, but I do have 11 Godchildren and two nieces. I do tend to buy gender-neutral clothes more often as gifts for pregnant friends and family. I have bought gender specific things in the past and more than once the doctor has been wrong when a baby of a different gender was born. However, I never considered this because of the possibility for hand-me-downs. I do agree with another poster that each child does need to have new things of their own. However, Ebay is a great way to get rid of expensive things and buy things inexpensively for a new child as well. I rely on it heavily when I am trying to get nice things I can't afford off the store shelf.

6. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    My husband and I didn't find out the gender with our first born so everyone gave us yellow and green baby clothes. He looked great in the neutral colours. Our second was a boy too so he ends up wearing all his brothers hand me downs. I saved all my eldest's clothes and that were in good shape. For birthdays and Christmas we ask for clothes for him so he does get new clothes that way. Now when our youngest outgrows the clothes I consign all the clothes that are in good shape and donate the rest. I have saved so much on clothes. Boys clothes never go out of style so it's great.

7. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I go to the thrift shop called Savers I found some men's Lee jeans so inexpensive that I bought them! It is of great quality even though they are men's jeans I use them and no one knows but me that they're men's jeans. It is comfortable and very good quality being Lee jeans, so who cares about clothes being men's or women's, if it fits you and you can afford it why not get it if it's comfortable? I find that when I go to Walmart's locally, I go window shopping for everything and look at children's clothes for sometimes we get invited to my niece's and nephew's birthday parties and Walmart has very inexpensive new clothes and footwear for children as they do for adults!

8. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Any shirt or pair of jeans can pretty much be gender neutral. Although they are not as fashionable or pretty as gender specific clothes, these are at least decent enoug to wear everyday. A gentleman or lady outfit is more suited to events or parties.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The trick there is to just avoid gender specific colors like pink and gender specific designs, then you're good to go. I occasionally had to use some of my brother's clothes as I was growing up even if it looked a bit masculine.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think this is a great strategy to use especially when kids are at a very young age where they wouldn't notice or care as much. Of course there can be exceptions as there might be some who would prefer gender specific items and colors even at a very young age but even then I think mixing some neutral ones in to save a bit of money isn't too bad of an idea. I'd much rather just keep the money and splurge it when they are at the age when they can truly appreciate it, personally.

11. HealthAndVitality

HealthAndVitalityMember

Threads:
    I think that there's nothing wrong with neutral gender clothes especially when the children are very young, that only becomes an issue when they reach adolescence. And for those who are starting a family, it is quite cost effective if you intend to have a number of children. As we are talking to an international base here, I would also like to point out that this can only be a problem in the Western World. In countries where survival supersedes the color of the clothes, that is an irrelevant matter.